How and when did you became a kpop fan ?

• Hello,

I'm new to this forum, didn't know it was a thing until one hour ago also sorry about my english!

I am very curious, how did you became a kpop fan and when ?

I'll go first,when i was young i was a fan of japan, i loved japaneses dramas then i come across kdramas years later i watched "sassy go go" back in december 2015, Jung Eunji from Apink was the FL, i was curious about her, so i looked at her biography and find out that she was a member of Apink, i listened to their music and i loved it! I then binge watched many of their contents, discovered shinee because Naeun was with Taemin en WGM, exo appeard so i binge watched some of their contents back then (exo showtime, exo next door, chanyeol roommate show..)

i was looking for interactions on youtube and i found out about bts, it was before Fire comeback, i was at my lowest point in my life, i found comfort in their music and lyrics (hyyh era was my therapy) and since then i start really becoming a all time kpop stan! ( discovered bigbang, got7, ikon and winner through mix and match,sistar,miss A, 4minute, 2ne1, INFINITE (i miss them so bad) Twice through SIXTEEN and many more, i was there for ioi debut, blackpink and nct.. ).

I followed everything since then groups debuts, many tv shows, kdramas, awards shows (with fanwars that goes with it, 2016 season was hell)

Now i only stan 100%(buy their albums and follow their activities) : bts, txt, blackpink, itzy, ateez and enhypen. :merongk:

And you ? was is your story ? :)

real life is boring, my kpop world isn't :fingerk:

3fb056f0ba0d9cdc2e66fbb23373b8be4bddb42f.gifv

• In early 2017, I discovered EXO after seeing an ad for them in Japan and thinking their song Lucky One was really good. I didn't really stan other groups for about a year and a half since I was too busy. But in late 2018, I became close friends with my ex-boyfriend's sister and she showed me more groups. I got very interested in the genre, and here I am.

:peperich:

• i know about kpop since like 2003, some of TVXQ MVs were playing on a local TV channel. ^^ but i didn't know what it was called. there weren't any international fansites to translate or anything, and my access to the internet was limited, i think i got into it around 2007 tho, that's when i became a full-time kpop trash :pepe-hehe: i became a fan of TVXQ, MBLAQ, WG, 2PM, GirlGeneration, BIGBANG.

• Well, I had a friend who recommended I listen to a BTS song in early 2016. I wasn’t interested, so I didn’t check out the song they requested. In 2018 though, that changed. I started listening to red velvet first, then I found twice and Blackpink around the same time. I thought they all had very great songs, so I started to check out more songs of that genre and here I am lol

• In early 2017, I discovered EXO after seeing an ad for them in Japan and thinking their song Lucky One was really good. I didn't really stan other groups for about a year and a half since I was too busy. But in late 2018, I became close friends with my ex-boyfriend's sister and she showed me more groups. I got very interested in the genre, and here I am.

I'm so happy to read that you loved Lucky One, this song deserve better!

I'm glad you find the time to really discover this universe, big up to you and your ex boyfriend sister ehe ! :claps:

• I think I’ve mentioned this at least a dozen times but here we go again. It was in 2011 through my daughter who was 9 at the time. We were watching TV and SBS Popasia came on. The first song I ever heard was So Cool by SISTAR. I thought the music was catchy and became a fan there after. It also introduced me to my bias groups. Nearly ten years on though my interest has waned as I’m a second gen stan.

• 11 years ago my family first ever decided to make an internet contract. I was like one of the last kids in my school who got an internet conection, but it was pretty hard to get my parents to actually order it. My mom only ordered the internet at the end because of 2 reasons 1) I told her about all the things I could do with the internet, especially for school and 2) My mom figured out her old flatrate from 3 years before was more expensive than a new contract that has a telephone flatrate + wifi so she switched the contract to a new one and got the wifi router etc.

Back than I had no idea what to exactly do with the internet so I asked people in my school what they do with wifi at home and many told me how you could literally find anything you search for on Google. I had no idea if that was even true so I decided to google things I don't know about to see if Google can find informations about it. To test it out I took a few magazines that I had in my room and looked for celebrity I might don't know from who were mentioned in the magazine. I literally knew everyone they mentioned so I almost gave up but at the end there was a 1 page long article about a Japanese band. I searched them on Google and found their music. I really liked it so I begun to listen to more of their songs and as you know, if you are not so good with certain websites as a new user, you might click accidantly on something and that what happend to me, wich caused that I found tons of other Japanese artists.

Some weeks later in the end of 2010 I begun to listen to everything a Japanese female soloist did and I even listened to mashups people made from her songs but one song was a mashup of her song and the song of someone else. I had no idea who the other artist was, so I was curious and checked the original song out to see how the original of it sounds without being mixed with another song and it turned out to be a Korean song. I liked it and so I begun to check out more Korean artists :3

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• i know about kpop since like 2003, some of TVXQ MVs were playing on a local TV channel. ^^ but i didn't know what it was called. there weren't any international fansites to translate or anything, and my access to the internet was limited, i think i got into it around 2007 tho, that's when i became a full-time kpop trash :pepe-hehe: i became a fan of TVXQ, MBLAQ, WG, 2PM, GirlGeneration, BIGBANG.

Oh wow, it was so early!

How do you feel about being a kpop stan for more than a decade ?

I'm curious, do you enjoy this new generation or "old" generation of kpop more ? In term of songs and community too :/

• Well, I had a friend who recommended I listen to a BTS song in early 2016. I wasn’t interested, so I didn’t check out the song they requested. In 2018 though, that changed. I started listening to red velvet first, then I found twice and Blackpink around the same time. I thought they all had very great songs, so I started to check out more songs of that genre and here I am lol

OMG i forgot that i had also a friend who recommended me a bts song and bap songs back in 2013 but i wasn't really into it.. i'm glad both of us changed our mind, we would have missing out !!

• OMG i forgot that i had also a friend who recommended me a bts song and bap songs back in 2013 but i wasn't really into it.. i'm glad both of us changed our mind, we would have missing out !!

Exactly! I’m glad my friend recommended them to me tbh! Best decision of my life to change my mind! I’m glad you changed yours as well! BTS is such an amazing group <3

• I think I’ve mentioned this at least a dozen times but here we go again. It was in 2011 through my daughter who was 9 at the time. We were watching TV and SBS Popasia came on. The first song I ever heard was So Cool by SISTAR. I thought the music was catchy and became a fan there after. It also introduced me to my bias groups. Nearly ten years on though my interest has waned as I’m a second gen stan.

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your story! :)

Your daughter did a great job, it's so cool even if your interest has waned, im glad you are still here today!

How do you feel about the differents changes that kpop had since you become a fan ? ^^

• I think it was in 2006 because thats the year I finally got my own laptop. Back then, I was very into kdramas and my first introduction to kpop was through shinhwa's eric. One of the first thing I search on my laptop was about Eric, found out that he is in Shinhwa and things spiral from there. Watched a lots of variety shows because of them too. Thats how I found about DBSK and became a stan.

• wow really early too !

Sorry sorry and gee and haru haru will remain legendary omg

Are you still interested in the new generation that you were at the time ? :whatb:

• i found Bigbang, snsd first, later afterschool 2ne1, sistar etc, kinda like their songs, but nevwr consider a fans,I know nothing about members, news, etc I never stream or buy their song, just casually listen to their songs on youtube.

I consider myself as kpop stan after last year ON kinetik manifesto by BTS released, and that song really hit hard for me last year, since then, I stan BTS and only BTS,

They are the first artist that I really care about the members, stream and buy their songs, album, merch etc

• Official Post

Nice intro! That's still a loooooot of groups to stan!

• Oh wow, it was so early!

How do you feel about being a kpop stan for more than a decade ?

I'm curious, do you enjoy this new generation or "old" generation of kpop more ? In term of songs and community too :/

yeah, it amazes me how i never grew out of it. many of my friends left kpop, maybe because i am a music stan. feel like if you just get attached to the idols, like some people do, you will eventually grow out of that phase.

kpop groups back then were way better lol, the music and performances were way better.

nowadays i mostly stan girl groups. most boy groups look like boys, they look too young, which threw me off. back then they looked like men.

there are not many 4th gen idol groups that i like tbh. maybe just ITZY, EVERGLOW and a bit of TXT, the rest are kinda of forgettable.

• 11 years ago my family first ever decided to make an internet contract. I was like one of the last kids in my school who got an internet conection, but it was pretty hard to get my parents to actually order it. My mom only ordered the internet at the end because of 2 reasons 1) I told her about all the things I could do with the internet, especially for school and 2) My mom figured out her old flatrate from 3 years before was more expensive than a new contract that has a telephone flatrate + wifi so she switched the contract to a new one and got the wifi router etc.

Back than I had no idea what to exactly do with the internet so I asked people in my school what they do with wifi at home and many told me how you could literally find anything you search for on Google. I had no idea if that was even true so I decided to google things I don't know about to see if Google can find informations about it. To test it out I took a few magazines that I had in my room and looked for celebrity I might don't know from who were mentioned in the magazine. I literally knew everyone they mentioned so I almost gave up but at the end there was a 1 page long article about a Japanese band. I searched them on Google and found their music. I really liked it so I begun to listen to more of their songs and as you know, if you are not so good with certain websites as a new user, you might click accidantly on something and that what happend to me, wich caused that I found tons of other Japanese artists.

Some weeks later in the end of 2010 I begun to listen to everything a Japanese female soloist did and I even listened to mashups people made from her songs but one song was a mashup of her song and the song of someone else. I had no idea who the other artist was, so I was curious and checked the original song out to see how the original of it sounds without being mixed with another song and it turned out to be a Korean song. I liked it and so I begun to check out more Korean artists :3

Oh wow, first of all, thank you so much for sharing your story!

I love the way you put your words!

I'm glad your mom decided to go for this option (i feel you with that school reason haha)

Who was that first japanese band that started it all ?

Sometimes those accidental clicks can lead you to some amazing surprises!

I'm sorry i can't find the right words to respond to you but i'm sincerely thankful to you for this comment, it made me so happy to read your innoncent story!! :claps:

• I had a crush in about like errr freshman year I think. She liked kpop so I decided to study up. Didn't really work but at least I had enough knowledge to jump in and throw a few hits when a heated argument between fans came up. She liked bigbang at the time so that's the one that I jumped to and then I saw that boombayah was making rounds so I checked it too. I fell off of it but then I was reminded of it in passing somehow, I forgot. But then I found chungha then watched pd101 then I branched from there lmao.

• But they sadly disbanded in 2018 after being together for 16 years allready

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• I was a fan of BBC's Sherlock and while browsing in the tumblr tag I stumbled across SHINee's Sherlock

That was in late 2012, and i started to get more interested in kpop and then decided to stan Exo. Fast forward i'm still stuck in kpop town because my love and loyalty towards Exo is too big :pepe-hehe:

Stanning Exo was the best decision you could ever made!!

I hope and i can feel that you will stay exo-l for life, i don't know if you have already seen or meet them, but i hope you will someday, you deserve it ! :claps:

• wow really early too !

Sorry sorry and gee and haru haru will remain legendary omg

Are you still interested in the new generation that you were at the time ? :whatb:

Now i stan bts and like many gen 3rd idol groups

For new gen i listened few songs but not yet make any of them into in my bias list. There is no one bg in 4th gen that made me really really interested.

But i casual listener of few gg 4th gen

• Thank you for taking the time to tell me your story! :)

Your daughter did a great job, it's so cool even if your interest has waned, im glad you are still here today!

How do you feel about the differents changes that kpop had since you become a fan ? ^^

I think it’s good that a lot of new groups are coming through, but apart from the odd song here and there is not as good as the generation of groups I got into. I do still listen to the music but more as a casual listener nowadays.

• I think it was in 2006 because thats the year I finally got my own laptop. Back then, I was very into kdramas and my first introduction to kpop was through shinhwa's eric. One of the first thing I search on my laptop was about Eric, found out that he is in Shinhwa and things spiral from there. Watched a lots of variety shows because of them too. Thats how I found about DBSK and became a stan.

WOW 2006???

Having our own laptop is a turning point omg i feel you!!

I don't really know much about Shinhwa or DBSK (i saw yunho in a drama back in 2017 i think), thanks to them you are here today! Which groups do you stan at the moment ?

How do you feel about the differents changes in the kpop industry and community ? :-)

• Kinda similar start to you lol.

Kpop is pretty big (although not as big as today) here since before but I never got into it.

Im into anime for a long time. Then i started reading mangas. Then a few years later, i got fascinated with manhwas/webtoons since they're prettier to look at. I read on mobile so i mean its easier to read them with their larger panels and mobile friendly format. They also are colored most of the time. Around the same time, i got interested in kdramas so i started watching a lot. And then fast forward to 2019 during my freshman year of college. With the peer pressure from having lots of friends and classmates who are into kpop, + hearing kpop everywhere in public because it was around the time bts and blackpink and also twice made a comeback, + my brother himself was a twice fan too + being indulged in korea myself because of webtoon and kdrama,= I finally dove into the kpop rabbit hole starting with twice. Thats how I became a kpop fan.

:pepe-life-support:

• Stanning Exo was the best decision you could ever made!!

I hope and i can feel that you will stay exo-l for life, i don't know if you have already seen or meet them, but i hope you will someday, you deserve it ! :claps:

thank you, you're so sweet :pepecute:

I spent all my teenage years with Exo, and they gave me so many happy and good memories and were always a comfort for me, so i can't imagine someday not stanning them.

Sadly i've not meet them yet but hopefully someday :pepeflushed:

No Thoughts Head empty, only Baekhyun

F0CgG2zaUAIMXea?format=jpg&name=4096x4096  F0CgG2zaUAERynm?format=jpg&name=4096x4096  F0CgG2xagAEwdCR?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• i found Bigbang, snsd first, later afterschool 2ne1, sistar etc, kinda like their songs, but nevwr consider a fans,I know nothing about members, news, etc I never stream or buy their song, just casually listen to their songs on youtube.

I consider myself as kpop stan after last year ON kinetik manifesto by BTS released, and that song really hit hard for me last year, since then, I stan BTS and only BTS,

They are the first artist that I really care about the members, stream and buy their songs, album, merch etc

I know what you mean, thank you for your comment!

i feel you, bts was also the first artist that i really get into to the point i could say i'm a real fan, hope that you will get the chance to go to one of their concerts after all this covid situation, it's a whole new experience, i think i don't feel as much happy as a one of their concert, i got the chance to see them two times but for real it was the best nights of my life, i wish you to feel those inexplicables feelings! <3

• This thread contains 33 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!