Why is no one talking about it? have mental problems become a concept?

• the album is called “Bipolar pt. 1: Prelude of Anxiety”

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

have mental problems become a concept? :sweatr1:

• kayn

Changed the title of the thread from “Why is no one talking about C9 new boygroup title album?” to “Why is no one talking about it? have mental problems become a concept?”.
  • Yeah... mental health in music isn't a new thing. So I think if the songs and the album itself is about mental health that doesn't have to be a bad thing as long as it's handled tastefully. Still, if they make a joke out it, that won't be good.

I would rather wait until the album is officially released before criticising them because there isn't enough to go off of at this point. Mental health is a sensitive topic so I'm hoping they treat it with care...

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• Yeah... mental health in music isn't a new thing. So I think if the songs and the album itself is about mental health that doesn't have to be a bad thing as long as it's handled tastefully. Still, if they make a joke out it, that won't be good.

I would rather wait until the album is officially released before criticising them because there isn't enough to go off of at this point. Mental health is a sensitive topic so I'm hoping they treat it with care...

they are doing aesthetic about mental health

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• i found this extremely concerning too ngl, however since i don't have a mental disorder i didn't want to make assumptions about how someone with them would feel about this.

• they are doing aesthetic about mental health

Yikes... not getting good vibes so far... Again, I still want to wait until the album is released first though.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• i found this extremely concerning too ngl, however since i don't have a mental disorder i didn't want to make assumptions about how someone with them would feel about this.

I don’t know how they’re going to work on the theme, but I don’t see how right it is to use mental problems like aesthetics

• Perhaps they’re just highlighting an issue that companies and the industry don’t seem to take seriously enough. If I’m listening then I can relate as I suffer them too.

• I don’t know how they’re going to work on the theme, but I don’t see how right it is to use mental problems like aesthetics

i really agree on this one, why can't companies just give normal concepts :rolleyes:

• Hasn’t this been done many times by big and famous people around the world? Also maybe whoever wrote this, is using the songs to express their own struggles. I am sorry I am confused about the difference between this and other pop songs and rap lyrics that touched/referenced the subject?

lt64IYu.gif

• Ok I gotta say I don't like what this looks like atm but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until the album comes out. I just hope that they don't fall into harmful stereotypes like a lot of media tends to

Hasn’t this been done many times by big and famous people around the world? Also maybe whoever wrote this, is using the songs to express their own struggles. I am sorry I am confused about the difference between this and other pop songs and rap lyrics that touched/referenced the subject?

It's not just a song it's a whole group album title which I guess is making a lot of us feel weird

• On one hand, I support artists talking about their mental health issues in their songs.

On another hand, this specific concept seems pretty tacky. Billie EIlish didn't need to call her album 'Depression' to talk about her mental health struggles.

I guess we'll see how they use this 'concept'.

• Perhaps they’re just highlighting an issue that companies and the industry don’t seem to take seriously enough. If I’m listening then I can relate as I suffer them too.

there are several ways to do this and everything that has come out so far seems just aesthetic

• Hasn’t this been done many times by big and famous people around the world? Also maybe whoever wrote this, is using the songs to express their own struggles. I am sorry I am confused about the difference between this and other pop songs and rap lyrics that touched/referenced the subject?

I think a lot of people see kpop as pretty shallow and insincere in general - with artists not writing their own lyrics etc...

Especially for a first album, I don't know how free the group will be to express themselves.

But also I think that if anyone has mental health struggles, it's probably kpop idols.

I don't know what to think yet about it tbh.

• External Content twitter.com

• there are several ways to do this and everything that has come out so far seems just aesthetic

Maybe, but real songwriting imo is singing about “real” issues that the listener can relate to at least in mainstream music anyway.

• As a person who struggles with a mental disorder, I’m not really here for it being used as an aesthetic. It’s almost pushing the narrative of glamorizing the struggles mentally ill people struggle with on a daily basic. I don’t want to speak too soon though, because the album isn’t out yet, but so far I’m really not liking it.

• Halsey's Manic album was heavily centered around her mental health and bipolar disorder, personal stories she wanted to share with fans which I loved. This doesn't seem to be like that tho and instead is using mental health for an "aesthetic" which is just disgusting. There is alot of misunderstanding about mental health in general, and especially people who are bipolar, and this "concept" could very well further that misunderstanding.

• I can name several kpop artists who used their voice to talk about mental problems in a respectful way and not as a concept

• I love how artists like NF handle mental health topics in music but he actually suffers from mental disorders, so Idk about it being used as a concept by people who never went through it though. We'll see.

who are we to know if they went through it or not...

it can be the artists or the ones who produced the song though..

anyways if they handle it carefully, I dont see a problem..

• Let the album release and then form opinions.

Ironic,

As much as this generation focuses on mental health and helping as much people as they can yet Artists are dragged through the mud for speaking about it.

Recently, there has been lot of restrictions on artists, they are not fully able to express whatever they want. There's either CA, or some form of "attack" on their artistry.

It's not even about aesthetic. The contents (lyrics, production) are not even revealed.

Make judgement after the album has been released.

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• Someone made it and that someone might express their own struggles. The kpop artists are performers. I understand all your concerns about using them aesthetically if it was revealed that the intent of the person who created everything was to get clout over using mental problems but we can’t possibly know that. Why people think only the singers who write their songs are genuine artists but don’t consider song writers, producers, performers in pop as artists? The team effort imo can be a form of art as well. It’s the intention of whoever created this concept that makes the difference. So if we don’t know the intention, why all this energy to bash it? Ntm aren’t these people unknown? I rather not join Twitter stans obsession of gang bullying groups with no strong fandoms by making new controversial things to complain about (nothing against u op but I mean Twitter stans I have seen in particular).

lt64IYu.gif

• you can't understand that it is wrong to put a black and white filter with a beautiful font text written BIPOLAR is it wrong? this is romanticization of mental disorders

• On one hand, I support artists talking about their mental health issues in their songs.

On another hand, this specific concept seems pretty tacky. Billie EIlish didn't need to call her album 'Depression' to talk about her mental health struggles.

I guess we'll see how they use this 'concept'.

Korean sensibilities arent the same as Americans. What we consider tacky might be perfectly fine for them.

• Let wait until it’s out, however

If it’s a form of self expression or obviously a way to raise awareness then that’s great

If it’s a company manufactured aesthetic try to be edgy then let the company know it’s wrong

• A singer talking about mental health issue is not new so I don't get the negativity with this.

It's not a new thing yes. But I get a feeling that bipolar disorder is being used as aesthetic here. I could be wrong and hence I will wait for the album to drop before further commenting but I don't think it's an issue to show concerns.

People suffering from bipolar disorder have to regularly struggle through work life and personal life because of the stigma surrounding it and the negative connotations in media. This could go very wrong if not handled properly.

Also yes, Halsey's Manic is a very good example, but it's different because she DOES suffer from bipolar disorder herself and those are her personal experiences.

I don't wish Ill on any members but God forbid not even one of the members has bipolar disorder, that would be a CLEAR use of it as an aesthetic and it would be a huge issue.

• I have anxiety disorder and I don't think it's conceptual for my problems to be used as aesthetic

I’ve worked in psychiatry and bipolar causes so much suffering. You’re completely entitled to dislike if it might be used as an Aestetic concept.

Hopefully it’s not as bad when it comes out

• I’ve worked in psychiatry and bipolar causes so much suffering. You’re completely entitled to dislike if it might be used as an Aestetic concept.

Hopefully it’s not as bad when it comes out

I have daily anxiety problems, there are little things that become big because of my disorder. I will be very upset if this is just a pretext for a love song

• People sing about personal struggles or the struggles of their loved ones all the time and no one has a problem with it. When a POC sings about racism, no one judges it and shades it by labeling it an "aesthetic."

So why is it negatively being referred to as an "aesthetic" when a Kpop group wants to sing about mental health? :rolleyes:

the problem is not in singing about mental health, I personally support artists talking about their mental problems. But in this situation they are using bipolar disorder and mental disorder as a black & white aesthetic with a beautiful font

it’s wrong

• External Content twitter.com

I mean expressing yourself as an artist is great, it's what they do after all. but i don't know if making asthethics like this is wrong or not. if the MV will have the similar vibe like this I'd rather not watch the MV at all for my own safety.

• People sing about personal struggles or the struggles of their loved ones all the time and no one has a problem with it. When a POC sings about racism, no one judges it and shades it by labeling it an "aesthetic."

So why is it negatively being referred to as an "aesthetic" when a Kpop group wants to sing about mental health? :rolleyes:

If they truly are singing about their mental health struggles, then I support that 100%. Mental health hits home for me, so I empathize and am willing to listen to anyone who is willing to speak, or sing about those topics. But if it is being used as an aesthetic, that is wrong. Any serious situation such as racism, struggles, mental disorders, etc being used as an aesthetic is wrong as a whole.

• you can't understand that it is wrong to put a black and white filter with a beautiful font text written BIPOLAR is it wrong? this is romanticization of mental disorders

This logic about romanticization can be used for many things that you probably find okay to use aesthetically. If this concept somehow is triggering you, it’s better to stay away from it instead of shedding light on it. It doesn’t necessarily mean what you think it is. People using their mental problems to create art as an expression can sometimes be healing for them. Sometimes even sarcastically in a comic way. I don’t understand how shutting whoever created it when you don’t know their intent is okay instead of just ignoring it. Again just to clarify, if whoever created it was exposed of using it as a concept to get clout then I am totally with you.

lt64IYu.gif

• just hope that they are doing this sincerely, people who have bipolar are already facing so many stereotypes that its hard to get accepted or understood by society. Although people are now more aware of mental disorders many are still lacking in understanding the symptoms of each illness and how they are diagnosed. People are often quick to self diagnose depending on stereotypes they know or by quick googling. It is not healthy and impedes people from getting the proper help they need.

🧈🌳🌱🧈 RM Wifenida 🧈🌱🌳🧈

38bb8dc71205c520373397212dfdb9c72e11cbcb.gif

• This logic about romanticization can be used for many things that you probably find okay to use aesthetically. If this concept somehow is triggering you, it’s better to stay away from it instead of shedding light on it. It doesn’t necessarily mean what you think it is. People using their mental problems to create art as an expression can sometimes be healing for them. Sometimes even sarcastically in a comic way. I don’t understand how shutting whoever created it when you don’t know their intent is okay instead of just ignoring it. Again just to clarify, if whoever created it was exposed of using it as a concept to get clout then I am totally with you.

Even if not for clout it can sometimes be very problematic and those deserve to get light shone on them

External Content www.youtube.com

But I agree with those saying that right now there's no way of knowing if the representation is good or bad at all. For all we know the song might be quite meaningful!

• This thread contains 28 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!