Can we just talk about how horrible Sm was/is

• The amount of lawsuits is nasty, however I think what's worse is how many people were getting really ill/injured and SM seemingly didn't give a shit.

If you read a lot of the lawsuits statements, there are a lot of examples, especially with Chinese artists. Hangeng(formerly of Super Junior) got gastritis and kidney illness because he was not allocated a single day of rest for 2 years, even in bad health. Kris Wu has myocarditis, a heart condition, and Tao was in a wheelchair. Tao himself left because his father was concerned for his health. The fact that multiple people were getting sick is does not seem like a coincidence.

SM truly doesn't get credit for this kind of trash. Quite honestly, definitely during 2nd/1st gen they seemed to be up there with TS and other companies famous for shittiness. I know nowadays it's taxes issues, however they seemed just yikes :eyes:

Also please don't attack SM artists in this thread. Company only.

• Official Post

I really think that's why Chenle lived with his family instead of in the dorms.

But they don't treat the Korean artists with injuries much better. The fact that they had the audacity to actually broadcast that stage where Taeyong was barely able to lift his arms during their New Year's concert still pisses me off. :angryr:

• I really think that's why Chenle lived with his family instead of in the dorms.

But they don't treat the Korean artists with injuries much better. The fact that they had the audacity to actually broadcast that stage where Taeyong was barely able to lift his arms during their New Year's concert still pisses me off. :angryr:

I've heard of Taeyong, I really feel so bad for him. He's had to wear a neck brace a lot cmiiw?

• Official Post

I've heard of Taeyong, I really feel so bad for him. He's had to wear a neck brace a lot cmiiw?

He's got herniated discs in his back. I know there have been times where he's had to have help getting off stage. :(

It really sucks to have a back problem because they basically never really heal. He's gonna be affected for the rest of his life. I just hope they let him rest when he needs it. There's another idol from a smaller group who had to leave the group and the business completely a few months ago because of a back problem and he was only 21. :(

• He's got herniated discs in his back. I know there have been times where he's had to have help getting off stage. :(

It really sucks to have a back problem because they basically never really heal. He's gonna be affected for the rest of his life. I just hope they let him rest when he needs it. There's another idol from a smaller group who had to leave the group and the business completely a few months ago because of a back problem and he was only 21. :(

Herniated discs is really bad, back problems hardly ever disappear completely so I'm worried how Taeyong might continue with NCT. It's such a shame, he's the leader of NCT and he's come so far from his dancing coach pulling his own hair in despair at Taeyong's abominable dancing to him praising Taeyong and naming him 1 of the Top 3 dancers in NCT, a group that already has extremely high dance abilities.

It might become a situation like with Heechul: after an accident, Heechul's leg never completely healed, he always suffered pains from it which became the reason that he had to be excluded from Suju comebacks and performances, even when he still remains a SuJu member.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• I have my own dislikes with SM: I really hate it how apparently they let SBS go scot-free after Wendy's major injury where she almost lost her life due to their negligence.

Wendy might suffer lingering injuries for the rest of her life from her pelvic injury if she's unlucky (yes, that type of injury can go that bad), and SBS basically put Red Velvet on an enforced halt and hiatus for 1.5+ years right at the point where their comeback had the potential to lift their career to the next level, losing all momentum => this was a loss for both Red Velvet as well as a big commercial/financial loss for SM, wasting all the investment, effort and care put into RV's Psycho comeback and all the time afterwards.

Yet what does SM do about it? Nothing.

And that has been a pattern with SM for the past 10+ years, with all the unfair scandals where their artists get slandered and hurt where SM took no action or far too late (Taeyong's slandering and defamation based on lies lasted 4-5 years before SM took action!), or where their artists get overworked or become exhausted and ill due to schedules filled to bursting or had to be taken to the hospital for an IV infuse.

But I also see it more nuanced and less black & white: SM isn't unique in having their artists get overworked, exhausted or sick due to overloaded schedules, some even reach the point of getting anxiety and panic attacks that they have to recover from.

And some of the ones who left, I don't see 100% as full victims: the EXO and TVXQ members who left were afaik dissatisfied with their contract/career and saw an opportunity to leave and make more money. And there's nothing wrong with that motive.

But what's often (conveniently) forgotten is that other members in their groups suffered the exact same hardships, yet they stayed and even extended their contracts.

And sorry for Tao fans, but I just don't buy it and never have: when Luhan and Kris left, he scolded them and voiced his disappointment and feelings of betrayal loudly and publicly. Yet when it appeared they'd be succesful in leaving, shortly after he went to China, claimed an injury and went to do the same as them. Add to that other things like him throwing a fit during a Chinese idol show: others were moved, but I grew extremely sceptical as I continued watching. The arguments he used, him proclaiming once again how much he had suffered, how he only started to explode when the candidates were talking amongst eachother and in the process ignoring/not paying attention to him.

When Taeyong started to hesitatingly talk about his traumatised past when he was bullied, that was real. When Kyuhyun on a show half-jokingly told about the horror stories he had to undergo as a trainee as the newest addition to back-then experimental project group Super Junior, that was real. What Tao did when he exploded on that Chinese idol show, that was show. That was drama.

So my own stance towards SM is mixed: I very much dislike the careless, seemingly indifferent way of handling things they've shown when it comes to their artists. But that doesn't mean that I auto believe every single story that fans believe in and that paints the artists as 100% full victims, always all the time, every single situation.

Some I do or I assume true until proven otherwise, but some I'm more sceptical of or raise my eyebrows at.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!