Having less members is more beneficial than having more members

• in terms of profit per member

i don't think my statement is contraversial

so for the sake of comparison lets assume ceteris paribus (keep all other things equal such as the split amongst members and the company, production costs etc)

so lets give you an example if Taeyeon sells 100k albums thats the equivilent of RV selling 500k albums because per member profit is the same

again ceteris paribus of a $20 album, 50% production and markrting costs and 50/50 company/idol split

IU 100k x 20 = 2m revenue, 50% costs = 1m profit, 50% split means 500k to SM and 500k to TY

RV 500k x 20 = 10m revenue, 50% costs = 5m profit, 50% split means SM gets 2.5m, RV gets 2.5m then each of Irene, Seulgi, Wendy, Joy and Yeri get 500k

and thus the per member profit is the same

so you may ask selfmate whats your f****** point? well as kpop fans none of us give two F**** about how much money the company we care sbout the members individually, we want to see them succeed not the company behind them.

so therefore when album sales isnt it better to compare the per member sales rather rhan the total?

• There are Pro and Cons:

Pro of having less members: less expensive because of less clothing needed, less make up artist needed

Con:

1. Dance choreography. The bigger the group, the more diverse choreography and formations you can have.

2. More members mean more merch you can sell.

• Of course. I don't think anyone will be denying that in terms of profit for the members, the less amount of members the more they will gain from their gross income.

That's why it's really beneficial for big groups to have their solo/subunit activities in conjunction with their group promo.

• In general I am drawn more towards smaller groups because they’re easier to get to know and differentiate

There’s all these groups with hella members I’ve just not been able to get into

Like I find most of them unnecessary bodies? That would make no difference to the music

• in what ways then explain

I mean the purpose of a forum is discussion so I'd like to hear your opinion

you heard my opinion, do i need to explain?

it speaks for itself

having less members is not always beneficial because i dont think the amount of members rlly matter i mean look at snsd and twice as well as izone, all successful, number of members dont really matter, well atleast not to me.

• in what ways then explain

I mean the purpose of a forum is discussion so I'd like to hear your opinion

it is mostly the case that your op is true, i myself prefer groups with less members andd that why i dont look to stan nct or svt ect.

i dont really care tho, if a group is good ill stan.

• If they don’t have songwriting or production credits, most artists/musicians make the bulk of their money off tours, endorsements and merch, where they typically have a larger percentage, not album sales.

But within this specific discussion, there’s a potential chicken and egg component here - are people purchasing more albums because there are more members (i.e. there’s a member that suits every taste.)? So, by adding members, are they potentially increasing their profits, particularly in those more profitable areas of tours and merch, compared to a soloist? So the album is serving as the “loss leader” to get people interested in the real moneymaker. Since 2008, the top selling album in Korea has been a group, not a soloist.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!