• For the record, I am aware that misogyny is a problem in the modern world, and I believe that steps need to be taken to at least try to decrease it. At the same time, I also feel like the pain that women and girls have to endure because of sexism results in them misdirecting hate towards innocent individuals. I have this problem with a singer who's slowly gaining prominence on YT. She's very talented. She sings gender-bent covers of songs. A lot of the time, this serves to promote positive feminist ideals. Like when she switched up the lyrics of Barbie Girl to emphasize objectification of women. Other times, she takes perfectly innocent love songs from the perspective of a man and changes them up so that the girl's perspective shows the man as possessing a lot of negative qualities. She did this with Hey There Delilah. That's a beautiful song about a man who deeply misses the love of his life and who says that nothing can come between them. He's sincerely dedicated to her and expresses that in a song. This girl's cover twists the story so that the man never went to visit her, and he breaks her heart by falling in love with another girl. Maybe it's weird for me to feel offended by these covers because I'm not a guy, but there's just something bitter in them that I have a distaste for.

"This heart will have no wrinkles. It lives on forever."

• Go to Best Answer
    • Best Answer

I agree. I think inserting sexism where sexism literally doesn't exist (love songs that are obviously cheesy and unproblematic) actually makes people not want to take feminism seriously. It makes it look like all feminist really are just triggered, bald weirdos with no feelings except for seething anger like what some men think they are, and her covers aint helping. 1st world problems fr

• I think some love songs are problematic when they portray that stereotype most girls have had pushed into their heads from birth that the girl is the one who falls for a guy and is head over heels. I like that she switched it up so that the guy was the one falling instead of the girl.

Barbie Girl is so disgusting as a side note, it may be about a barbie doll but really Barbie is a girl and you can't separate that from girls

Wish we could go back to the good old days were we all lived on farms and men and women both did hard labor and kids did chores and went to school 8 miles away and had to walk, only I wish back the women weren't the father's and their husband's property, but that's a rant so bye

• I think some love songs are problematic when they portray that stereotype most girls have had pushed into their heads from birth that the girl is the one who falls for a guy and is head over heels. I like that she switched it up so that the guy was the one falling instead of the girl.

Barbie Girl is so disgusting as a side note, it may be about a barbie doll but really Barbie is a girl and you can't separate that from girls

Wish we could go back to the good old days were we all lived on farms and men and women both did hard labor and kids did chores and went to school 8 miles away and had to walk, only I wish back the women weren't the father's and their husband's property, but that's a rant so bye

:-( ............

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!