Hit song that you didnt expect to become a hit

• aside from Rollin and Bboom Bboom , what other Hit song that you didnt expect to become a hit

For me ,

Girls Day - Something . Just because its too sexy and i didnt think GP will like it but oh well

Red Velvet - Psycho . Just because RV isnt doing well for the past 3 previous comeback (RBB,ZZB,UU) so for them suddenly hitting the top of chart again and manage to stay for so long is impressive

GFRIEND - TFTMN . Same reason with Red Velvet's Psycho

• Dalla dalla. Jyp didn't release the song digitally until almost 2 days after the mv dropped and in that period everyone had very mixed (mostly negative) opinions of the song. Since it was so experimental and divisive for a debut song I didn't expect it to do as well as it did.

• Dolphin

it's great song but it was a b-side so I seriously didn't expect it to become hit with such longevity

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'm not really saying that I didn't expect this to be a hit, but back then I didn't know about charts or how well Sistar is actually doing I was just stanning them because I love their songs

So when Sistar decide to have a comeback at the same time as 4Minute who was more established and famous than them at that time I didn't think they would actually do well or win music shows

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

But they managed to win against 4Minute and I'm like wait what omg. Also, during this time you look at the top 10 we have groups like Big Bang and SHINEE comebacks as well so competition was tough

External Content youtu.be

Also the lack of sexy concepts back then make it seem like the type of songs Sistar put out wouldn't exactly be a huge hit with the GP but Sistar ended up paving the way for sexy concepts in KPOP

• I never expected dynamite domination in korea and japan bc it was an English song and from the beginning it was aimed at global market only, they didn't even show up for music shows 😂

• Loser by bigbang.

They made a cb after 3 years, so everyone had almost forgotten about them. Kpop is highly competitive, and every group make one or two cbs per year. Hence, i never expected bigbang to make a terrific comeback with loser.

• Loser by bigbang.

They made a cb after 3 years, so everyone had almost forgotten about them. Kpop is highly competitive, and every group make one or two cbs per year. Hence, i never expected bigbang to make a terrific comeback with loser.

This is a made up narrative. Both G Dragon and Taeyang were smashing as solo singers before Loser with Taeyang even winning SOTY and this was their comeback after their arguably biggest era to date. There was nothing implying they were almost forgotten

If anything "Alive" success was more likely to flop, their popularity was starting to degrade and they were mostly popular in Korea and not as much outside Korea before Alive, so yeah

• External Content www.youtube.com

So different from what they released before

• Answering the thread. I guess every nugu hit is unexpected so I will comment only about group who were already famous and stabilished, or at least had a big hype when those songs were released

I'm still surprised Dalla Dalla was such a hit, never expected. I was thinking in something around Red Velvet's happiness level of success and they end with the arguably biggest debut hit in years, even bigger than BP's Whistle

BTS's Idol. This song is extremely weird and nothing like what koreans usually listen. When it was released I though it was going to tank like Not Today, but they smashed, quite amusing if you think pretty much any other group (minus maybe Bigbang) wouldn't even break top 10 of Melon daily with a song like this

Twice's Dance the Night Away. No idea how this smashed so hard. This wasn't Signal situation when they come from a big string of smash hits, I was definitely expecting a lukewarm reception but this song end being their third biggest hit in Korea lol

Mamamoo Gogobebe. This songs is just... bad. Like REALLY bad. Mamamoo isn't a group who can smash with anything they release and their last comeback did very bad, surprised me a lot to see they keep so much time inside top 10 with this

AOA's Bingle Bangle. This song is nothing alike eith the groups image, their main vocal have just left and their popularity has already plummeted and yet this become a very decent hit! It's not like I find the song or the concept but, I actually like it a lot, just never expected a group like AOA could actually make it work

Bigbang Flower Road. How a group facing the TOP scandal released such a hit with such a forgettable song? I just cannot understand. This is not even a new recorded song, just a discarded music that not entered "MADE" album. It wasn't promoted, just dropped and made over 1 million ULs, mindblowing

iKon's Love Scenario. When this song came out I thought iKon was done, which was kind of a bitter because I loved the song and the album. Then I saw it climbing in the charts so fast and then started to smash like no tomorrow, it's sad we don't see koreans giving love to BG tracks often

• This is a made up narrative. Both G Dragon and Taeyang were smashing as solo singers before Loser with Taeyang even winning SOTY and this was their comeback after their arguably biggest era to date. There was nothing implying they were almost forgotten

If anything "Alive" success was more likely to flop, their popularity was starting to degrade and they were mostly popular in Korea and not as much outside Korea before Alive, so yeah

Yes, that's a better way to put it out. Because at the end if 2014, a lot of international kpop stans were saying that bigbang's not relevant anymore because they simply didn't release any music since the last 3 years. I forgot that bigbang already has a large fandom in sk.

Alive was miserable era, i truly agree with you. It was the scandals and a lot of things, but they came back stronger than ever. Maybe this time too

• Nonstop - That’s arguably one of the worst song omg ever had and the song smashed really hard like how???

Red Flavor - it’s a matter of taste actually but I really don’t like the song. I’m surprised that this song is their biggest hit

Agreed with tftmn i remember people were saying how the song is weird and disjointed. How surprising it was for me to see the song suddenly rose after 2 weeks of promotion like that is so out of nowhere

AOA's Bingle Bangle. This song is nothing alike eith the groups image, their main vocal have just left and their popularity has already plummeted and yet this become a very decent hit! It's not like I find the song or the concept but, I actually like it a lot, just never expected a group like AOA could actually make it work

I second this! The song is so bad I can’t get through it for how bad it is. However I don’t think the song is really a hit it was just a hit when it came out but the song fell rather quickly soon after that.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!