Where did this idea come from that you need to move out of your parents' house at 18 and be on your own??

• yeah, its rlly weird tbh. im lucky my parents don't mind me living with them until i save up enough to be able to afford a nice place for myself. my parent's philosophy is to make sure once i move out i never have to come back lol.

who's your favorite artist?

• idk, in the popular (traditional) culture it is seen as "not cool" to still live with your parents as soon as you're not minor anymore. people will assume you're jobless, single (like its such a bad thing) and an incel (in men's case). i feel like its even harder for men because people expect them to be independent (=strong responsible man) and for women its less of a problem because people think she can only move out when she finds a man to live with ...

• Idk is it trolling... In so many countries it is almost impossible to buy house with your own money.

The user I quoted has been trolling people all day and spam posting random things that make close to absolutely no sense, which is why I had that gif readily available. I understand that housing is difficult especially right now.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Utada-Hikaru-Blue-Stay-Magical-Sig.png

• The user I quoted has been trolling people all day and spam posting random things that make close to absolutely no sense, which is why I had that gif readily available. I understand that housing is difficult especially right now.

Don't paint with a broad brush, troll.

• this sounds like american (western?) thing. in southern europe, eastern europe, and korea as well, this is not the case. it's not unusual for kids to live with their parents until they get married. 30? 30. parents don't pressure their kids to move out so they could turn their childhood room into a study room (i read that this actually happens), even when they move out the room stays theirs. in eastern europe at least :)

• this sounds like american (western?) thing. in southern europe, eastern europe, and korea as well, this is not the case. it's not unusual for kids to live with their parents until they get married. 30? 30. parents don't pressure their kids to move out so they could turn their childhood room into a study room (i read that this actually happens), even when they move out the room stays theirs. in eastern europe at least :)

That is quite accurate. It is only common in the US. My foster mother who is from out of the country has a home here in the US and she has yet to touch my room which was the attic and quite large. She sent me a photo of my board games and things still being where I set them before the court gave me back to my biological mother. She had only made sure they were cleaned up, and my childhood dog still sleeps on my bed in that room in her home.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Utada-Hikaru-Blue-Stay-Magical-Sig.png

• I lived with my family until 23(outside of military service), I could buy my own house.(ofc i still have debt it is still not fully mine) Collecting money is so much easier if you live with parents than if you are living alone. If you are living alone, you have to pay all the bills alone and it is way more expensive and saving money for the house take way more time. I would say I have more wealth than the most people at my age. Now living is pretty chill, because I don't have to think about money that much anymore and I can buy whatever I ever need.

• Public Housing for a BTO (Build To Order) takes 5 years to build for a married couple. If you are single you can only buy a BTO if you are 35. If you don't want to wait you need to buy resale flat.

Houses are very expensive in my country it's around let's say 400k - 500k for a 1000 square feet single floor public housing flat. So yeah we live with our parents even until late 20s and even until early 30s

• i think it depends on your culture. i think you will be more likely to be pressured to leave your home once you become an adult if you live in the US. simply because the US relies on the working class to build the economy and help keep everything going (everyone would be poor if they didn't work to earn money and there would only be rich people and the government). if you're an adult living with your parents in the US and you're not working, you can be seen as lazy and uneducated because you aren't contributing to the wealth of your country. i live in scotland and it's a lot different here. we rely on the rich people and the government to keep us going. we have working class citizens but they don't contribute as much as american working class citizens do. this is the same for lot of areas of europe. the house price average in the US and europe are about the same margins so idk what to say about that. i made no sense but who cares

• I agree that you shouldn’t have to move out after being an adult if finance doesn’t not permit. I did that too.

But remember to contribute your part at home too. I’ve noticed some still act like they are school kids (mom do the laundry and meals, don’t help out with the chores, contribute money for meals and bills etc) even when they are already working. That’s just sad and selfish.

• Arent it is a culture from the west? More clearly can be seen from the US?

If you ask asian people, most people will find it to be a weird topic... like why?? Did you have a fight with your family or smthg??

On the other hand, ive seen people kinda mock asian children for still living with their parents. For information, just because children still live with their parents doesnt mean that they didnt contribute anything in the household you know. They help & either pay some or all the bills/ living expenses.

• It's an American boomer mentality that a lot of younger people have unfortunately picked up on. Back in the day boomers made way more money and everything was way cheaper which enabled them to move out at a younger age. Something that isn't possible for most people now as evidenced by statistics.

• I wish I didnt move out when I was 19. Should have saved all that money and put it into savings instead. I dont care if youre an adult and you live with your parents. I do have a problem (im talking about myself here) moving back in after youve already moved out.

You hate me? Well, remember it's mind over matter. I do not mind and you do not matter.

9469e72bd497f024e0531bc6136b58c078539597.gif

• Not necessary. Stay as long as possible, up to late 20s imo. Don't pay rent. If you can get a job and then buy a small house or apartment with a mortgage and your parents help, it's far better than rushing out because 18.

• Under 18 years old one is a Minor with Parent or Guardian making decisions for them. Eighteen years old one attains Adulthood and makes their own decisions.

Seen how my siblings left home. Most did leave by their own reasons and one was forced. All were helped to get established financially.

Peer pressure favors leaving at 18. There is opportunity targeted to the age group. Interships, College and Military service.

Staying at Home to work through growing pains. Helping the family while staying home. Mutual get alongness for a better term, stay at home.

I think the biggest reason for a 18 year old to go is their in a relationship. Although it is not written in stone.

• The older generation, older than mine which is Gen X. I didn’t move out of home until I was 20. (Then I was a Boomerang kid). My daughter is 18 and she still lives at home. I don’t think it matters, not every young person has the money or life skills to be out on their own. I’ve been out of home 26 years and it’s never easy, you always struggle with rent and bills. The cost of living has seen a lot of adult children moving back in, as long as they chip in with costs.

• Seems like a vert western (especially American) thing, and unfortunately, I live in the US where, someone my age (26) feels pressure to move out ASAP. And I have definitely had someone belittle me about it. I’ve moved past it though, especially after meeting people my age who are in the same situation as I am.

In Mexican culture, I feel it’s more common to live with your parents until you’re married (women) so I don’t feel terrible, but as an American, I’ve felt pressure to find my own place since I finished high school.

I may live with my parents, but I’m financially quite independent.

ea345ce0012bd5e135557199cecc6df68a5057c4.gif

ninguém como tu

• Arent it is a culture from the west? More clearly can be seen from the US?

If you ask asian people, most people will find it to be a weird topic... like why?? Did you have a fight with your family or smthg??

exactly. i follow a youtube channel "living big in a tiny house" and once a woman made a comment about how she and her husband wanted to buy a tiny house, her kids would be 18 next year and would have to move out. the replies from asians, eastern and southern europeans, and latin americans (from latin america)... well, it was wild xD basically, everyone asked her why she hated her kids, why would she kick them out.

there's also one phrase americans always use - living in your mom's basement as an insult. we wish we could! most people in big cities live in flats and those who live in houses can't live in them because they are used as storage for tools, bicycles, and useless stuff that would be thrown ages ago if basement didn't exist. i'm talking about this : D

761811_podrum-tajna-prostorija-skriveno_ls.jpg

one more thing we don't get: how can a sister live in a house/flat and her sibling be homeless? why don't they live together? how can she let him live on the streets?

yes, it's cultural.

• This thread contains 8 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!