Anyone else like this or know someone like this?

• Back in year 8, I had a friend who was introverted and didn't really talk with many kids except me and my other friends. At the time, I always wondered why she was so shy and close minded. (I only became her friend because we were assigned as partners in science class) I was very scared to ask because I didn't want to get too personal since she was shy. But later, I was talking to her on the bus and she randomly brought up that she collects knives.. yeah. I asked why and she told me that she carries a knife whenever she goes out in public because she's THAT scared of people. And whenever anyone she doesn't know comes up close to her, she tries to let them know without any verbal communicaton that she has a knife in her pocket by slowly reaching for it. She even said that it doesn't matter if her clothes don't have pockets because she can put her knife inside her bra. Now I understand that she wants to defend herself if a stranger attacks her, but literally reaching for the knife everytime a stranger comes close seems kinda much to me considering that she usually goes out with her parents. I kinda feel bad for not suggesting help to her but yet again, I was a stupid 13 year old.

She continued to be my friend for two more years and afterward, she moved to the US to live with her dad. After, I kinda forgot the way she was until recently.

So I'm curious... do you know anyone who acts like this and if they got help or not? Is it as unusual as I think it is?

• Nope never experienced that. I mean i myself are very fond of knives, but it's more of a collectors things (like decorative hunting knives, ancient weaponry etc)

but I did grow up in an area where knife crime, kidnap amongst other things, was a big issue, so it wasn't unusually for quite few us during my teens to carry weapons when we went to school (my weapon was a bike chain) , although it's illegal to carry a weapon, especially knives.

• There is a difference between being shy and reserved. Shy people don't do or say things because they fear judgment or social disapproval. Reserved people are just generally more restrained in words and/or actions.

Introverts are usually misunderstood and written off as weird or difficult because they are complex. They are literally wired in a way that is opposite of extroverts.

I knew a guy who wasn't an introvert but brought a weapon to school out of fear. He was threatened to be jumped on a previous day. He was new to the area and didn't know if people back up their threats or not.

He trusted me enough to actually show me it; way more deadly than a knife. I reasoned with him to not be flashy with it out of nervousness so he wouldn't be expelled. Thankfully, they didn't try to jump him for one reason or another..that could have been a disaster.

People are how they are because of past experiences. Maybe your friend experienced something bad and never wanted to feel caught off guard and defenseless again.

• Hi there! A precursor to not click this spoiler unless you understand that it covers sensitive topics.

• You’re completely right there. I’m reserved myself and I get stigmatised for being weird or different but in some respects that’s a good thing.

• My school doesn't have metal detectors

They should because this year, a kid brought a gun to school and literally almost killed someone. He got arrested though...

wow...maybe it depends on each school whether they have metal detectors or not

• Hi there! A precursor to not click this spoiler unless you understand that it covers sensitive topics.

I'm sorry about that. I'm glad it's gotten better. I appreciate you sharing this with us.

You’re completely right there. I’m reserved myself and I get stigmatised for being weird or different but in some respects that’s a good thing.

It's like having a basic set of 4-8 crayons and because someone else has a different set, the other person's crayons are seen as weird. If you know how and why another person uses their set of colors, it can help you better understand the art in their pictures.

• I'm sorry about that. I'm glad it's gotten better. I appreciate you sharing this with us.

It's like having a basic set of 4-8 crayons and because someone else has a different set, the other person's crayons are seen as weird. If you know how and why another person uses their set of colors, it can help you better understand the art in their pictures.

That’s a different analogy but anyway

• She never told me about any traumatic experiences which was why I was confused.

Introverts aren't always going to "memory dump" information. You can know them for years and not really know them. Introverts can be layered like that.

• Introverts aren't always going to "memory dump" information. You can know them for years and not really know them. Introverts can be layered like that.

This - a lot of us like to hide it an not tell anyone about it. Just because they are a close friend, doesn't mean they will tell you. For example my mom didn't even know until a few years ago.

• This - a lot of us like to hide it an not tell anyone about it. Just because they are a close friend, doesn't mean they will tell you. For example my mom didn't even know until a few years ago.

This is the kind of complexity that a lot of people don't have the patience or tools to really handle.

I don't know what your relationship is like with your Mom, but from a compassionate perspective, I'd feel horrible if I haven't build up enough trust with you to be leaned on especially if you suffered alone with this trauma for a long time. That's probably just me.

Edited once, last by DMV2DMZ: Needed more clarification. ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!