So ITZY is really doing the ethnic Italian-American mafia concept

• The setting actually looks like 1960s Brooklyn street from where the Italian-American mafia conducted their business and the cop dancers obviously related it to criminal activity, which is what mafia did. So it doesn't seem to relate at all to the "fun" mafia game they play in Korean varieties. I know some Italian-Americans were upset about the use of their culture as aesthetics for kpop. And the featuring of cops on the MV might not go well with the woke crowd.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

949194d2a422f40ebdd2f8e02c162e22.jpg

• What are you trying to say though? It literally is based on the game, just because the setting is in a city doesn't mean they're taking from Italian-American culture. Mafias existed everywhere, and are not unique to Italians.

Mafia is literally an Italian word. The American-Italian mafia were based in American cities, which is what the setting obviously represents. The cops on the MV are also dressed similar to the Italian Carabinieri cops.

eb29dbbc611049487903fa4befc811d9.jpg

• Official Post

Anyway, it's literally based off of the game if you bothered to see the other teasers. The whole theme is to 'guess' who the mafia is, just like the game.

Among Us was one of the biggest games last year, and it's literally based off of the mafia game. There was little to no backlash then so there's no reason to be mad at this.

Mafia isn't even a type of culture and no one was mad that they were "stealing" their culture, so now I know I can't take you seriously. It's not like the mafia is a prized part of some culture. Mafia isn't even a cultural thing, there were mafias in Japan, America, Russia, Italy, etc.

You always complain about cancel culture and then manage to find issues with everything like an average stan Twitter user. Do you see the irony?

• It's based after the card/thread game Mafia. Can Cop please check on OP, they sus. :pepe-cowboy:

When people play the "mafic game", they dont dress up as cops or put Brooklyn street inspired props. Obviously the allusion of the concept is also representing the actual mafia.

• The setting actually looks like 1960s Brooklyn street from where the Italian-American mafia conducted their business and the cop dancers obviously related it to criminal activity, which is what mafia did. So it doesn't seem to relate at all to the "fun" mafia game they play in Korean varieties. I know some Italian-Americans were upset about the use of their culture as aesthetics for kpop. And the featuring of cops on the MV might not go well with the woke crowd.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

949194d2a422f40ebdd2f8e02c162e22.jpg

Mafia is not even a cultural thing, also people have used Asian culture many times as props. Did anyone complain then?

• Mafias were gangs and gangs exist everywhere. How is it so obvious that thats what the setting represents? Why are you trying so hard to prove something that just isn't there? :confused:

No. The classic Italian mafia originated from Sicily and it was part of organized crime whose members were mostly of Italian background. Organized crime existed since the beginning of time but the term "mafia" primarily referred to this sub-group.

• Why are you and other kpop fans so hell bent on protecting and caring about criminal's feelings on how they are represented? The mafia made a lot of italian-americans lives hell too and like everyone has said MAFIA AREN'T EXCLUSIVE TO ITALIANS!

I think what some Italian-Americans are upset about is the use of criminal mafia aesthetic, which could spread harmful stereotypes about Italian-American culture. They don't care about the actual mafia people, who were just criminals. But the aesthetic emphasizing with all the "Brooklyn wise guy" stage and props.

If they called it Mafia but had totally different aesthetics then it wouldn't be an issue.

External Content twitter.com

• Mafia is upset about the use or their aesthetic? I didn't understand

Like I said, some Italian-Americans are upset about the use of stereotypical Italian-American mafia themes in their concepts. The same way they are upset about the portrayals of mafia in TV shows and movies. It would be like if Itzy called their title "Gangsta" and for the backdrop it had a stereotypical Bronx street. Obviously wouldn't it upset people due to the stereotypes being used?

• I think what some Italian-Americans are upset about is the use of criminal mafia aesthetic, which could spread harmful stereotypes about Italian-American culture. They don't care about the actual mafia people, who were just criminals. But the aesthetic emphasizing with all the "Brooklyn wise guy" stage and props.

If they called it Mafia but had totally different aesthetics then it wouldn't be an issue.

Blame Coppola and Scorsese then. These people's rant comes at least 50 years too late, a hundred if you go way back to the first gangster films of the 30's. Trying to put the genie back into the bottle will only make these people sound silly.

• Like I said, some Italian-Americans are upset about the use of stereotypical Italian-American mafia themes in their concepts. The same way they are upset about the portrayals of mafia in TV shows and movies. It would be like if Itzy called their title "Gangsta" and for the backdrop it had a stereotypical Bronx street. Obviously wouldn't it upset people due to the stereotypes being used?

If the stereotypes are about the mafia, then the one who should be upset would be the mafia themselves, which would be absurd at the same time. I just don't get it, but I guess it's because I'm unfamiliar with the issue. So I shall leave here

• Blame Coppola and Scorsese then. These people's rant comes at least 50 years too late, a hundred if you go way back to the first gangster films of the 30's. Trying to put the genie back into the bottle will only make them look silly.

There's a lot of movies, cartoons, comics, and stories that are now being banned because they contained racial or ethnic stereotypes. Times were different then. Now society progressed where they recognized that stereotypical portrayals are harmful, specifically those that focus too much on criminal sub-cultures rather than other positive aspects of an ethnic group.

• There's a lot of movies, cartoons, comics, and stories that are now being banned because they contained racial or ethnic stereotypes. Times were different then. Now society progressed where they recognized that stereotypical portrayals are harmful, specifically those that focus too much on criminal sub-cultures rather than other positive aspects of an ethnic group.

Where's the racial stereotype though? It's not like the members were putting on a silly Italian accent while eating pasta.

• Italians-Americans aren't upset, in fact they were making fun of kpop fans who were. The Mafia culture largely doesn't exist anymore and its not that kind of culture with its own language, food and customs. Its a freaking gang.

And I am sure we will continue to do so............. :-)

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Utada-Hikaru-Blue-Stay-Magical-Sig.png

• Official Post

I think what some Italian-Americans are upset about is the use of criminal mafia aesthetic, which could spread harmful stereotypes about Italian-American culture. They don't care about the actual mafia people, who were just criminals. But the aesthetic emphasizing with all the "Brooklyn wise guy" stage and props.

At least show me a tweet with more likes than that. No one in their right mind looks at an Italian American (which you probably couldn't tell just by looking at) and thinks they are apart of the Mafia, there are no harmful stereotypes to be spread. Are you American? Mafia movies and tv shows are quite popular here and not a single soul has a problem with it.

Please watch an actual mob boss on buzzfeed. He reacts to movie and tv shows and actually likes some of them.

• At least show me a tweet with more likes than that. No one in their right mind looks at an Italian American (which you probably couldn't tell just by looking at) and thinks they are apart of the Mafia, there are no harmful stereotypes to be spread. Are you American? Mafia movies and tv shows are quite popular here and not a single soul has a problem with it.

Please watch an actual mob boss on buzzfeed. He reacts to movie and tv shows and actually likes some of them.

FR, It's not like they went around smacking people with Garlic Breadsticks or Biscottis screaming "oh look I am italian" so IMO as an Italian the whole twitter thing is hilarious, I love that Itzy has been trending the last two weeks here and there for it though

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Utada-Hikaru-Blue-Stay-Magical-Sig.png

• When has people doing mafia concepts ever negatively impacted Italians? Trying to hard to be oppressed Lmao

They just don't like it being emphasized and used too much for aesthetics. On popular culture, what else is Italian or Italian-American culture more recognized for in the media? Obviously its the whole mafia sub-culture that gets the most portrayal of Italians, there's been a ton of shows and movies about it. But they want to be known for something else besides that in the media.

• Mario cancelled when?

• I have yet to see a single Italian person upset over this, even the ones who hate K-Pop in my family, I showed the teaser in group chat and they are not concerned :S

At least show me a tweet with more likes than that. No one in their right mind looks at an Italian American (which you probably couldn't tell just by looking at) and thinks they are apart of the Mafia, there are no harmful stereotypes to be spread. Are you American? Mafia movies and tv shows are quite popular here and not a single soul has a problem with it.

I'm sure older people don't care about "stereotypical portrayals" but a lot of young kids who have grown up in progressive society have a problem with it. I was searching what Italians say about Itzy's Mafia and I'm surprised there's more than expected number of people who don't like the use of this concept. They aren't blaming ITZY, but JYPE for giving them this concept.

https://twitter.com/search?q=i…lang%3Ait&src=typed_query

• Official Post

External Content youtu.be

• I'm sure older people don't care about "stereotypical portrayals" but a lot of young kids who have grown up in progressive society have a problem with it. I was searching what Italians say about Itzy's Mafia and I'm surprised there's more than expected number of people who don't like the use of this concept. They aren't blaming ITZY, but JYPE for giving them this concept.

https://twitter.com/search?q=i…lang%3Ait&src=typed_query

Do you even speak Italian though? Otherwise you'd understand what they're actually complaining about.

• This thread contains 51 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!