Vpop is a bit overrated.

• As a person who used to listen to Vpop a lot, I feel many people are overrating the style more than it deserves. The truth is, the songs that are popular amongst foreigners are just made by a handful of artists. 90% of vietnamese music is sad-traditional ballads. Slapstick vietnamese humor music is the second most popular genre after ballads. There are some songs that stands out a bit and more friendly for foreigner ears, but they are few in between.

Vietnam is still a developing country. The country still relies on foreign aid to 50% of it's economy to sustain itself. 2/3 of the population still lives on the country side, and that's where the majority are poorest. We have to take that in consideration. It will take some years before they are close to other SEA nations like Indonesia, Thailand and even the Philippines.

69408eb16f7410df4f22e8cbc0f20383.gif

Edited once, last by Uni909 ().

• As a person who used to listen to Vpop a lot, I feel many people are overrating the style more than it deserves. The truth is, the songs that are popular amongst foreigners are just made by a handful of artists. 90% of vietnamese music is sad-traditional ballads. Slapstick vietnamese humor music is the second most popular genre after ballads. There are some songs that stands out a bit and more friendly for foreigner ears, but they are few in between.

Vietnam is still a developing country. The country still relies on foreign aid to 50% of it's economy to sustain itself. 2/3 of the population still lives on the country side, and that's where the majority are poorest. We have to that in consideration as well. It will take some years before they are close to other SEA nations like Indonesia, Thailand and even the Philippines.

A bit off-topic: I don't see a vietnamese debuting in Kpop in the forseeable future. Hanbin(I-Land)is the Vietnam's best shoot at the moment, but it can go either way. His hype is decreasing and no hint of a debut from Belift/Hybe.

if i may ask

is Vpop Vietmese pop? :whatb:
    and i see Loona in ur Sig :eyebrowsr:

• I watch all LoonaTv and try to follow them as much as possible on VLive. But I have to admit, listening to Loona frequency without videos can be a bit boring when there is no subs.

• I watch all LoonaTv and try to follow them as much as possible on VLive. But I have to admit, listening to Loona frequency without videos can be a bit boring when there is no subs.

tha is understandable

i too keep up with loona tv

but i dont have Vlive

you should check out/ find other Orbits on youtube

they make really funny Loona meme videos

that is what our fandom is known for

we are funny as shit XD

plus i write Loonaverse theories

if that keeps u interested

:pepelove1::pepe-hehe::pepe-grooving::claps::eyebrowsr:

• if i may ask

is Vpop Vietmese pop? :whatb:
    and i see Loona in ur Sig :eyebrowsr:

I presented a V-pop music video on some K-pop Facebook groups by asking them what they thought about this V-pop music video and there were people who commented that they thought that that the Korean singer V (Kim Tae-hyung) who is a member of the K-pop boy band BTS has now his own pop called V-pop.

I had to explain them that V-pop stands for Vietnamese pop music otherwhise they wouldn't know it.

Yeah, V-pop is not very popular.

• Well, when I say VPOP to my mom and dad it is all this:

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That is still popular for Vietnamese Americans of my grandparents and also mom and dad's generation though they grew up in the states.

Vietnamese-American kids of my generation tend to listen to KPOP if they listen to any Asian pop music at all.

I think it is different in Vietnam, my feeling is there is a fairly strong music scene if you look at all the expensive MVs coming out now. And yes the songs in those MVs are all ballads.

Still, I don't think we need to confuse the K-Style idol pop as being synonymous with VPOP as a whole.

Why do I watch survival shows? This!

• That's what my vietnamese friends said to me too when I showed them Vpop songs. They never thought it was like that, but again the Vpop in 2016-17 was very different from now. Back then, they were very much Kpop influenced. Some song were pure plagiarism of Kpop as well.

Now vietnamese strongly support their ballad-slapstick humor pop songs. It's good they have something they can feel proud of. Expensive MV and deep storyline. But for me, it's too repetetive and at same time boring. But I think one day they will move on from their ballad sphere, once Vietnam is in a better economically situation.

• That's what my vietnamese friends said to me too when I showed them Vpop songs. They never thought it was like that, but again the Vpop in 2016-17 was very different from now. Back then, they were very much Kpop influenced. Some song were pure plagiarism of Kpop as well.

Now vietnamese strongly support their ballad-slapstick humor pop songs. It's good they have something they can feel proud of. Expensive MV and deep storyline. But for me, it's too repetetive and at same time boring. But I think one day they will move on from their ballad sphere, once Vietnam is in a better economically situation.

You know, Vietnam is actually growing very fast. It is far wealthier today than 2016 :)

So the trend you see today with the expensive ballads and deep story lines is because Vietnam is growing wealthier.

To be honest, I think Tik Tok is probably more powerful than KPOP in Vietnam for the current generation. Trends are set there by Vietnamese artists and influencers far more than people mimicking KPOP.

For example, the trends towards Viet Phuc and MVs historic/traditional storyline are fanned by Tik Tok. It is homegrown by people getting wealthier and more confident in their own culture. (If there were any foreign influence, it would be more Chinese than Korean I'd say. Especially from Chinese Tik Tok and historical CDramas.)

Lac Troi by Son Tung MVP is probably the most acclaimed

External Content youtu.be

Why do I watch survival shows? This!

• Vietnamese does have some cool tiktok videos. But just relying on tiktok to create fame both in Vietnam and outside is simply just not enough. Sorry for sounding so negative about Vpop and Vietnam, but there is so much ground work that needs to be in place. I personally think vietnamese needs to work hard and try audition for shows in both Korea and China, like with Hanbin. I don't know what his future will be like, but I do know he worked his ass off to get on I-Land. Getting viets to developed music markets, and one day return with that knowledge to develope Vpop.

• During the first half of the 2010s, the only Vietnamese singers that I listened where the Vietnamese boy band 365daband (2010 - 2016 ; 2020 - present) and Hari Won (2013 - present) because V-pop was not very developped during the first half of the 2010s and V-pop developped a lot more during the second half of the 2010s.

This was the debut music video of 365daband :

13 January 2011 :

[Official HD MV] Awakening - 365 :

External Content www.youtube.com

The father of Hari Won is Vietnamese and her mother is Korean.

Hari Won was a member of a K-pop girl band called KISS from 2001-2002 which was composed of 1 Japanese girl, 1 Korean girl, 1 Chinese girl and Hari Won who is Vietnamese and Korean. The group never released a music video.

30 November 2012 :

Nhóm nhạc nữ Hàn Quốc KISS1 :

Hari Won then moved to Vietnam 2007 where she began learning Vietnamese in a Vietnamese university based in Saigon and released her first music video in 2014 :

This was the debut music video of Hari Won :

30 December 2014 :

Hương Đêm Bay Xa | Hari Won | Official Music Video | Nhạc trẻ hay :

Tóc Tiên is a V-pop singer since 1993 and worked as a V-pop singer on Paris by Night in the USA from 2009 to 2014 before moving back to Vietnam where still works a V-pop singer. I like her songs that were released after she left Paris by Night in 2014 and came back to Vietnam in 2015.

I never liked the songs of the Vietnamese-language musical variety shows Paris by Night (1983 - present) but I liked their sketch comedies.

21 February 2020 :

NGÀY TẬN THẾ - TÓC TIÊN x EMCEE L (DALAB) x TOULIVER x TINLE | Official MV :

This show Paris by Night was created by Vietnamese refugees who fled Communist Vietnam after that the Vietnamese communists took over South Vietnam on 30 April 1975.

Paris by Night is a show made by old Vietnamese people for old Vietnamese people.

The show is also facing shifting tastes. The emergence and growing popularity of Korean and Japanese pop has created a new kind of creative pressure for "Paris By Night." Now, new musical numbers need to compete with the slick, sharp styling of K-pop acts.

To, however, is insistent that "Paris By Night" has a unique offering that sets it apart from the flashy entertainment of other countries.

"For me as the 'Paris By Night' executive producer, I have always lived with the thinking that wherever you grow up, wherever you’re born, at a certain age you will come back to your roots,” To said. "Of course, K-pop is very big now…but we kind of want to create our own image. The singer[s] we produce, we want to create their image—not imitating K-Pop or anything.”

Source :

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/a…show-goes-digital-n452391

• Uni909

Changed the title of the thread from “Vpop are bit overrated.” to “Vpop is a bit overrated.”.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!