my thoughts on cultural appropriation and why it's bs most of the time someone being accused

• since i'm black imma talk about my culture.

when people accuse some hiphot groups or soloist or white rappers of ripping off black culture, like no. just because the first person who started rapping or wearing cretin type of outfits is black, that doesn't mean others can't rap or wear over-sized clothes or bandana or act like a crack-head. like why do yall have to copyright everything because you happen to be the first one to do it!!

if that's the case then, black people shouldn't do some modern white music or musicals!! no??? or black people shouldn't debut in kpop! blah blah blah... i find it very ironic.

some things are legit tho, like imagine a black person wearing Hanbok around the mall, that would be cringey :pepefacepalm: i still don't care tho. like even if my bias wore literal dread locks, yeah it's cringe :pepe-joy:

but i wouldn't hold it forever against them. ^^

Edited 2 times, last by haj1ma ().

• haj1ma

Changed the title of the thread from “my thoughts on cultural appropriation and why it's bull shit most of the time someone being accused” to “my thoughts on cultural appropriation and why it's bs most of the time someone being accused”.
  • I can't speak out for any culture but this is what I feel about it.

Sure there will be some who thinks it's ok and no big deal, but there are some people who have faced prejudice over such things. I personally have not really experienced it but don't mind me using it as an example. Lets take hairstyle for example. Some might not see it as a big deal, but there are a big group of people out there who have faced huge discrimination because of the hairstyle that their culture has, and are mocked for it. And when they see other people who have the same hairstyle in their culture, being praised for it, of course they are going to feel enraged about it because what was previously seen to be something that people discriminate them for, is now glorified to be something cool or hip.

Of course not everyone will feel that way but there is a sizeable enough group of people who will feel that way, and thus it is insensitive to invalidate their feeling and say that it "isn't a big deal". Of course there are some occasions whereby people are acting woke and trying to make a big thing out of something small, but if a large enough group of people actually think that it is problematic then maybe it should be something that should be changed

• If cultural appropriation were a real thing, no one could wear anything except what their ancestors wore in 1000 BC.

If cultural appropriation were a real thing, only Japanese people could open up a sushi restaurant, only black people could sell pop music, only white people could play in the NBA, only Latinos could teach Spanish in schools.

Cultural appropriation is fiction. Your DNA does not determine whether you're allowed to wear dreads or a kimono. This is America, wear whatever the fuck you wanna wear as long as you dont mock anyone else.

• well at the end of the day isn't it majority rules or rather the majority voice that rules when it comes to these sorta situations?

Like as long as the voices against > the voices for something or vice versa?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!