Korean Artists With Songs Above 100 MILLION Streams On Spotify (with graphics!)

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And a graphical representation!

pasted-from-clipboard.png

• At the end of the day no matter how popular BTS get, they still kpop. They’re promoting in Korea, they have songs in Korean, still kpop. Yes, they are probably one of the most popular boy groups atm but they’re still kpop.

"probably one of the most popular boy groups atm" :cryingr:

Try #1 global act.

This is about their achievements level.

• Not when it comes to achievements. Theyre competing in the top global artists tier, the rest are in kpop tier.

Otherwise, its debatable.

Imho the accolades don't matter when it comes to classification. A genre is a genre for a reason. Classification systems exists and can not arbitrarily be changed when one feels like.

That's like saying Bach is no longer a classical musician because he is arguably is the best there is in that genre. The genre does not thus disappear. Even the tweet the chart I assume is based on places them in that category of Korean artists and music. An accurate portrayal of the chart would obviously to group them all under kpop .

• Yes, Dynamite has put them through the roof in regards to sales and streams. But does this make the above kpop, as you show in your graph? No.

BTS was in a different league before Dynamite as well.

And yes, they are above kpop, socially distancing from everyone else, when it comes to achievements and quality.

• Imho the accolades don't matter when it comes to classification. A genre is a genre for a reason. Classification systems exists and can not arbitrarily be changed when one feels like.

That's like saying Bach is no longer a classical musician because he is arguably is the best there is in that genre. The genre does not thus disappear. Even the tweet the chart I assume is based on places them in that category of Korean artists and music. An accurate portrayal of the chart would obviously to group them all under kpop .

Kpop is not a a genre, its an industry. It is at best a specific geographic subgenre of Asian idol pop. Everything that makes kpop kpop is shared by other asian idol pop industries. The light sticks, the fanmeetings etc etc.

Musically, there is no kpop genre, other than the typical fractured nature a lot of it exhibits, created by the need to add 903908 idols, some of them with no musical talent, into one song + the prioritization of performance over music.

• BTS was in a different league before Dynamite as well.

And yes, they are above kpop, socially distancing from everyone else, when it comes to achievements and quality.

How? They’re all Korean members, promoting in Korea and on Korean shows (even though they have reached out into the west), and they sing in Korean (minus Dynamite, but there were still Korean promotions). They may be at the top but that doesn’t mean you get to say they aren’t kpop anymore becauae they achieved a lot.

• Kpop is not a a genre, its an industry. It is at best a specific geographic subgenre of Asian idol pop. Everything that makes kpop kpop is shared by other asian idol pop industries. The light sticks, the fanmeetings etc etc.

Musically, there is no kpop genre, other than the typical fractured nature a lot of it exhibits, created by the need to add 903908 idols, some of them with no musical talent, into one song + the prioritization of performance over music.

Im sorry but that sounds like a whole lot of hot air.

Your experience in the music industry is nil I can tell not to mention highly reductionist.

I wish you all the best but it does me no good to go back and forth when your grasp on the subject is well tenuous at best.

• How? They’re all Korean members, promoting in Korea and on Korean shows (even though they have reached out into the west), and they sing in Korean (minus Dynamite, but there were still Korean promotions). They may be at the top but that doesn’t mean you get to say they aren’t kpop anymore becauae they achieved a lot.

I mean it is all very mindboggling.

• How? They’re all Korean members, promoting in Korea and on Korean shows (even though they have reached out into the west), and they sing in Korean (minus Dynamite, but there were still Korean promotions). They may be at the top but that doesn’t mean you get to say they aren’t kpop anymore becauae they achieved a lot.

BTS havent promoted on Korean music shows since ON.

All Korean pop is not kpop. Kpop is Korean version of Asian idol pop industry. Whether you consider BTS still kpop, is up to personal opinion.

And this graph is about ACHIEVEMENTS, where BTS is in a different playing field compared to kpop industry.

• BTS havent promoted on Korean music shows since ON.

All Korean pop is not kpop. Kpop is Korean version of Asian idol pop industry. Whether you consider BTS still kpop, is up to personal opinion.

And this graph is about ACHIEVEMENTS, where BTS is in a different playing field compared to kpop industry.

Then just put them at the top. Dont separate them from kpop. As you say its a matter of personal opinion. When do personal opinions play a factor in achievements? Isn’t that supposed to be 100% facts and no opinions? So you should’ve just put it above and not separated them as not kpop. Even BTS themselves say they’re kpop. Quit erasing Asian heritage and the long journey it has taken Korean artists to break into the Western Market.

• Im sorry but that sounds like a whole lot of hot air.

Your experience in the music industry is nil I can tell not to mention highly reductionist.

I wish you all the best but it does me no good to go back and forth when your grasp on the subject is well tenuous at best.

Please explain what makes NCT or Stray Kids belong to the same genre as IU as opposed to AKB48 or SixTones.

• Then just put them at the top. Dont separate them from kpop. As you say its a matter of personal opinion. When do personal opinions play a factor in achievements? Isn’t that supposed to be 100% facts and no opinions? So you should’ve just put it above and not separated them as not kpop. Even BTS themselves say they’re kpop. Quit erasing Asian heritage and the long journey it has taken Korean artists to break into the Western Market.

I did not say they are not Korean artists. I said they are above kpop industry when it comes to achievements, which is an objective fact. This has nothing to do with Korean music as a whole or their heritage. BTS are one of the very very few kpop artists who include anything Korean in their music at all and who actively promote Korean music and culture.

BTS themselves promote the non-kpop Korean artists and give them a bigger platform, as do armys. Please look forward to eAon new album and the title track featuring RM this Friday!

The genre is BTS. That’s the genre we want to make and the music that we want. New genre.

Jungkook, V, and J-Hope

Rather than be recognized as the rise of a genre or the rise of K-pop as a genre, I would like more talented Korean artists to be better known around the world… it’s really amazing to have this small country and so many talented people coming out of it. — Suga

• How can a group be a genre in itself? Thats like saying for rock music Aerosmith is thier own genre because they exceed the expectations of the rock genre. Its the same concept here. BTS is still kpop no matter how high on the scale. You have every group on a kpop circle with BTS out of it alluding that BTS isn’t kpop. Opinions have no place in achievements because they are cold hard facts.

• K-Pop is an umbrella term, just like Pop is...

But kpop groups have more in common with idol groups from other countries than with non-kpop Korean pop acts. Thats why using it as a genre definition separate from the whole Asian idol pop context makes little sense.

I guess it depends on whether it is used for "all Korean pop" or "Korean idol pop" specifically. If it's "all Korean pop", it isnt really a genre. Pop is a genre.

• How can a group be a genre in itself? Thats like saying for rock music Aerosmith is thier own genre because they exceed the expectations of the rock genre. Its the same concept here. BTS is still kpop no matter how high on the scale. You have every group on a kpop circle with BTS out of it alluding that BTS isn’t kpop. Opinions have no place in achievements because they are cold hard facts.

It is a hard cold fact that BTS has more song over 100m streams than the rest of Korean artists put together. They are on another level compared to others. So it is perfectly justified to name that other cluster something. I mean I could name it "non-BTSPOP" if that makes you happier?

Happy?

Or this?

• You could just stop putting the labels. Go and post this on allbtspop.com and not allkpop.com if you're that desperate to separate them.

"Bunch of wannabes that wanna be me, me three if I was you"

• Why do they have to be lumped together at all? Why couldn’t it have just been an achievements charts saying where the groups land in comparison, not defining a genre since that seems to bother you so much

• "probably one of the most popular boy groups atm" :cryingr:

Try #1 global act.

This is about their achievements level.

Gotta love this "Army" who downplays and underrates everything BTS has done just cause them being so significantly beyond his other faves makes it a difficult pill to swallow. Peeps should just stop pretending ffs, so tiring.

• Damn, bts is in their own league.

So many ppl getting riled up on op, I guess the point op trying to make is bts is bigger and on a higher level than other groups.

Rest on the groups are playing on similar level, while bts is levels higher.

• Add this to OP for the snowflakes.

BTSpop agenda thrives :pepegrin:

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And a graphical representation!

I do love this kinda of graph. The kind when you can’t say anything but find tiny things to be mad at (like semantics) because the bigger picture hurts too much lol

• At the end of the day no matter how popular BTS get, they still kpop. They’re promoting in Korea, they have songs in Korean, still kpop. Yes, they are probably one of the most popular boy groups atm but they’re still kpop.

Had an argument with someone who kept saying dynamite is not kpop after it swept daesangs at kpop award shows.

They only use whatever narrative satisfies their claim at the end of the day.

BTS is kpop but their label is bigger than the kpop label, unless you wanna say kpop is big because BTS is big

• This thread contains 22 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!