To COLLEGE STUDENTS: I have a general question about an instructor for an online class

• Hey college students,

Here is my academic background: This is actually my FIRST semester of being back in school. I haven't been in school since I got my associate degree in 2015, so virtual learning is all new to me and a different experience for me. I'm going for my bachelor's degree as a Junior in Recreation Therapy.

I was wondering do any of you have an instructor who does not interact with the students? This is for the ONLINE only courses, where no class meetings are held virtually.

My class is really hard and I am not learning anything at all. It has to do with finance and accounting in hospitality, which I have no basic understanding of. The class is part of my major so of course I have to take it. Basically for this class, the only thing we do is read the book and make sure we understand it. We have assignments and have to respond to our classmates here and there based on the book. However, there are no lessons for me to understand. Plus, my teacher is not interacting with us at all. I am getting a good grade on my assignments, but how do I know if it's the right answer if she doesn't explain the answer to us? The semester is ending, and I am so lost. I am trying to get a good grade but I don't want to put in the effort if she doesn't put in the effort back. My grade is at 90% right now. I hope I am able to keep it. What would you do? Any advice?

I probably should have informed her about my struggles earlier on, but it's kind of too late now. I just wished she would interact with us more. All of my other instructors do, except for her.

• so you have an Asynchronous where the teacher just give you a video every week and asks you to watch or is it that the teacher didn't even teach at all?

• I have no encountered this kind of professor before. Do you have TAs?

Your professor does not even record videos?

I suggest asking around if this type of behavior is the norm in your college.

In my college, at the end of each semester, we have something called CIOS where we rate the course and Instructor and we can also give feedback on how to improve the way the course is taught. DO you have anything similar to this in your school?

• That is weird, deadass. I have friends who are trying to get teacher/professor degrees and they're being instructed to always explain the assignments as throughouly as they can to the students. Not sure what your professor has learned.

I think you should contact people of higher status like the principal or the dean. They can maybe talk the teacher into teaching in a more effective way. I wonder, does your teacher respond to emails? I usually get in contact with my professors that way.

• so you have an Asynchronous where the teacher just give you a video every week and asks you to watch or is it that the teacher didn't even teach at all?

Yes, the course is asynchronous. Basically, we have access to all of our assignments on blackboard. We are expected to make our discussion board responses by the deadline and have assignments turn in by the due date. There's no recorded videos or lessons for us, no lecture notes, nothing. Everything we do is on our own.

For this class, our homework is basically the discussion board posting, responding to our classmates, and turning in certain assignments based on the book.

• That is weird, deadass. I have friends who are trying to get teacher/professor degrees and they're being instructed to always explain the assignments as throughouly as they can to the students. Not sure what your professor has learned.

I think you should contact people of higher status like the principal or the dean. They can maybe talk the teacher into teaching in a more effective way. I wonder, does your teacher respond to emails? I usually get in contact with my professors that way.

For my very first assignment from the book, I had to make some calculations and I wanted to know how to make a few of the calculations that I got wrong after I submitted my answers. I emailed her asking her if she can share with the class the answers, showing us how to calculate to get the answer. She never did though and she said she would once everyone has turned in the assignment.

• I have a professor who never taught us. She just went straight to give us assignment without teaching us the basics first. It's very frustating because the assignment is not even part of the syllabus. So basically we learn nothing.

The only advise that i could give is to just ask around about the things that you don't understand. Your friends or seniors might be able to help you. In my college we also have after school tutorial taught by the seniors twice every semester. Does your college have something like this?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!