Your opinions on the Melon 24Hits chart?

• Official Post

In around 2-3 months, it'll be a full year since the inception of the Melon24Hits system. This system is based off of total ULs, so it is an accurate representation of what general public is listening to.

Previously, Melon was based off of hourly streams, which benefited dedicated fandoms(especially during zombie hours).

My opinion: Even though the charts are deader then they ever have been, I much prefer it to the previous Melon system. This shows what the general public are actually interested in. BG fandoms have less of an advantage here too(since it's based off of ULs and not streams), so you won't see boy group songs lining up the top 20 at 5AM.

The only negative I think, is that new and unknown artists have a disadvantage here. The general public will just listen to the artists they're already familiar with, now you have to go viral or have extensive promotion to be able to chart.

My faves slay on both systems anyway :siptear:

• My opinion is that if song was charting in Melon top 100, for few days, or longer, or was a hit, no matter but after 6 months it should be moved to "legacy chart". And song should "sit" there unless there will be Rollin' like situation when suddenly old songs get viral and it generates crazy UL's.

Why?

Because the current situation is just a cock-blocking one...

I will use STAYC as a recent example, in the last few days they are ranking from 101-110 place, and they can't enter because there are soooo manyyyy old songs that are stealing spots...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think the new and older chart is the same for new and unknown artists because the public only tries to listen to song that in the top 100. If they feel too lazy to search for a song, they will just play all the songs from the chart. The only thing that has significant change is regarding BG zombie stream. The singer that already been backed by the public will continuously dominate the chart like IU, but that doesn't mean other doesn't have a chance just like Brave Girls.

• Official Post

So similar to Billboard? Whenever a song has spent more than 20 weeks on the Hot100 and has fallen below 50, it goes "recurrent" aka removed from the chart.

I agree that many songs are really just sitting there, making the charts dead because the same old songs are occupying the same positions everyday, you'll just have to let it die off.

• So like on Billboard? Whenever a song has spent more than 20 weeks on the Hot100 and has fallen under 50, it goes "recurrent" aka removed from the chart.

yeah that's not a bad idea, or just after some time period like 4-6 months.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• That is a really good Idea, we can honor the old songs while welcoming new ones.

• I like it, it was always so crazy before how every time a new song came out it would be at the top it was such a headache to keep up with.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• So similar to Billboard? Whenever a song has spent more than 20 weeks on the Hot100 and has fallen below 50, it goes "recurrent" aka removed from the chart.

I agree that many songs are really just sitting there, making the charts dead because the same old songs are occupying the same positions everyday, you'll just have to let it die off.

That is like just completly removing the song, I don't want that with Melon. Just another chart for older songs.

• If i am going to be honest with you, in my own humble opinion without being sentimental of course, without offending anyone who thinks differently from my own point of view, but also by looking into this matter in distinctive perspective, i would like to say i have nothing to say.

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• Aren't charts created for that? to represent what is popular? Charts goal isn't to discover new artists, if you are nugu, you don't have a place there unless your song is popular

• Melon is a streaming service and not a chart. Different types of charts are made to discover songs based on user's likings by the streaming services like Melon.

Gaon is chart like Billboard. If this is what you want then I guess it is better to do with Gaon and not Melon.

• Instead of saying it’s an accurate representation of gp, I will rephrase that as an accurate representation of what’s actually popular and that’s what the charts were supposed to show in the first place. Not heavily manipulated fandom streaming about some songs the public don’t even know existed.

I don’t know if I’m the only one who thinks this actually works in the favor of unknown acts. I mean if it was really about fandom streaming, I think unpopular acts will be heavily disadvantaged here. At least with the new charts as we can tell from Brave Girls, it works well in their favor. And also song quality is pretty debatable. In the first place song charts have always been about what was popular at the moment, not a place for discovering new taste or quality music. Most of the gp aren’t geeked out music fans. They just wanna bop to whatever sounds good.

I doubt brave girls will be number 1 right now if fandom streaming returned

• So similar to Billboard? Whenever a song has spent more than 20 weeks on the Hot100 and has fallen below 50, it goes "recurrent" aka removed from the chart.

A recurrent system will also not be a bad idea. But I doubt that is gonna change anything. If your song doesn’t get gp support, it’ll still tank

• Aren't charts created for that? to represent what is popular? Charts goal isn't to discover new artists, if you are nugu, you don't have a place there unless your song is popular

Best answer. I think people have forgotten that the organic ways for nugu groups to finally make breakthroughs, were them getting a viral song. It happened with Exo, BTS , twice etc.

And this situation is even better. You won’t get cockblocked by some random fan streaming

• Recurrent rules can only be applied to gaon not to melon and flo and etc. Even on Spotify u have hits from years still make it inside top200. But those songs r no longer on charts.

YIREN

e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv fab59363da33ef51baa656716577e60cdb9b2fd2.gifv 084b4b1830b2175bbfe169388158c289cc0b861f.gifv 9a71235e38fac2f4f9e1daf62b01efee6e4923bf.gifv e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv

• what you said mostly is my opinion

It has been nice to see artists like Brave Girls rising and then ruling the charts because the big inconvenient to me is how fixed the charts became. Success in charts is mostly for the same people every time, a selected group of artists + a few others galvanized by variety shows mostly.

SO yeah +: it prevents zombie streaming -: it's mostly boring and it shows even more the death of kpop

• Over the past few months, I have been performing an analysis of Melon weekly chart data dating back to late 2018. The overall effect of the reform is that it appears to be more difficult now for songs to quickly rise up the chart. I will eventually make a thread detailing my findings.

• Honestly: I hate it

it literally kills the chance of newcomer artists to chart and thus kills the creativity of music.

On a good side it kills out the crazy fandom streaming but in the end fandom streaming shows what is popular since fandoms are much to popular disbelief a part of the general publics.

Koreans always wonder why the idol concepts are not Korea-focused. It is due to the fact that chart systems like these kill the chances of newcomer artists and potential hits. It is easier to get attention from overseas than locally. It was expected that the pr and production style would have to change according to the demand. Also, it is bad for the trends of music. People tend to do either a) things that got them charted once or what the fandoms want since no one else will check them out over and over again b) go overseas c) do one comeback, flop even if the album sales are rising and never come back again.

A chart should show what is popular but it should also help as an introduction to new artists and music. Due to the pandemic a lot of ways to promote are not available and this is why this is very important. This includes new artists from kpop idols to alternative music

• I like Bugs lmao. It’s easy for artists and unknowns to chart on. Yukika does well there and most of her b-sides lined up the charts on Bugs :cheersc:

And Melon said 24hits and the other chart they made will help unknowns and get the GP interested in other music when that isn’t the case at all. I think FLO does a good job at this compared to Melon but 24hits shows how dead 4th gen is. Only 7 or so groups was able to chart like damn but anyway I’m not Korean so I shouldn’t have an opinion on this matter lmao.

tumblr_nzies3E9yh1uf1itwo1_500.gif

LORD & SAVIOR PARK JIHYO | ITZY | YUKIKA | RUANN | | TWICE | BRAVE GIRLS | APRIL | FROMIS_9 | TOMMY FEBRUARY6

• They have charts already reserved for new artistes and new releases. This is the main chart.

• it sucks.

It means less bragging rights from smaller groups its harder to build them up, before theh could say 'we got number 1 on melon' now they cant.. they have to brag about number 60

#60 is generous. For 95% of kpop right now it's +500.

• Then that’s your problem right. There is a way for ppl to seek out new artists if they want. If you aren’t doing so it’s because you don’t care about new artists. Which justifies the new chart change.

First of all, I am someone who looks at the other charts and is always on the lookout for new artists generally since I am not only listening to kpop and prefer other streaming services over melon. I am talking about people who wouldn‘t look out for new artists or only look into the main charts. Not everyone is that invested into music or charts to check out the other charts. The main chart does not give new artists a chance to get attention from people like that. As I said in my original comment due to the pandemic a lot of pr channels are not available and new artists could get more attention.

Keep in mind that this my opinion

• It's way more fair. And indeed looks much more similar to western charts I've been following for years. I always find very confusing how so many unknow soloists were able to place 1 on Melon overnight. Now you need a slow and steady increase for days or weeks to place high, seems much more natural

However, as much fair it is, sucks to see how frozen are the charts. Very few new music is align and the lack of idol music is concerning. If Melon was thinking the plethora of boygroup music in the charts was the reason why Melon was losing users I'm sure they are soon discovering it was never the reason

• This is not making sense. The streaming site charts are supposed to reflect the popularity of all songs. Spotify doesnt remove old songs from charting so why would Melon

Your comparison of Billboard is only making sense for Gaon (compilation chart) to remove old songs, not Melon

• First of all, I am someone who looks at the other charts and is always on the lookout for new artists generally since I am not only listening to kpop and prefer other streaming services over melon. I am talking about people who wouldn‘t look out for new artists or only look into the main charts. Not everyone is that invested into music or charts to check out the other charts. The main chart does not give new artists a chance to get attention from people like that. As I said in my original comment due to the pandemic a lot of pr channels are not available and new artists could get more attention.

Keep in mind that this my opinion

That’s the point is they’re not looking then they don’t want it. What’s not clicking.

• No I mean these people would not have clicked on that music anyway so it makes no difference.

They would, but they would not click into other charts. The main chart is a guide value for a lot of things. People rather look into the main charts to find new music instead of the other charts.

• This thread contains 21 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!