If artists get paid per stream on platforms why are huge fandom driven streams so easily dismissed?

• The way Gaon does things is that they want to know how many unique streams they’re getting. I won’t go into the rational behind but that’s how they do things. Leave alone obsessively streaming, I legitimately stream songs more than a few times a day and to dismiss that seems quite silly on Gaon’s part. Many unique ppl clicking on a song isn’t inherently more valuable than appealing to a niche and having them stream your songs more ardently.

I digress tho.

My argument isn’t about it’s validity but rather about how platforms work. They pay per stream on their platform. Yes they do have guardrails in place to avoid paying mass streaming but it’s certainly more than Gaon’s one stream a day. This is true as much for Spotify and YouTube as it is on Melon.

Streams on Spotify are revered while streams on Melon are dismissed because of the existence of Gaon. I assure you if billboard did what Gaon does and filtered for unique streams then opppar and unnir numbers are not gonna look as great as they currently do.

Ofc one can argue that not much money is being made from melon and their guardrails aren’t great and that’s all fine. I was just merely addressing the principle behind it.

Anyway was this a round about way of saying BBHLs are fucking obsessive and their streaming can match digimons when they’re numbers are fewer lolol. People always said not having a real-time chart demotivates fandoms from streaming but have you considered that fans actually... like listening to their favs instead of listening to it a couple of times a day during transit? :pepe-use-head:

A169D79F-A363-4DBB-8D2F-47BDEECE357D.jpeg

TLDR : Baekhyun legend. EXO sons of Melon. # rig the system like eggsols so oppar can make more money

• of course as long as they get paid then it matters. But i understand why charts want to filter streams, not everyone GENUINELY streams songs repeatedly because they want to listen to them, judging from things like stream parties, it's obvious many fans stream for the sake of numbers and that kind of practice ends up skewing the real popularity of a songs and that's unfair because these charts are eventually used for weekly trophies and year end awards. Of course having 1 million person stream one song is a more fair testament of song popularity than having 100k people stream the same song repeatedly all day long for the sake of breaking a record.

Not saying this is the case with Baekhyun specifically, but speaking in general.

• of course as long as they get paid then it matters. But i understand why charts want to filter streams, not everyone GENUINELY streams songs repeatedly because they want to listen to them, judging from things like stream parties, it's obvious many fans stream for the sake of numbers and that kind of practice ends up skewing the real popularity of a songs and that's unfair because these charts are eventually used for weekly trophies and year end awards. Of course having 1 million person stream one song is a more fair testament of song popularity than having 100k people stream the same song repeatedly all day long for the sake of breaking a record.

Not saying this is the case with Baekhyun specifically, but speaking in general.

No one does that anywhere tbh what Gaon does. And for good reason. Who said charts should be ranked on the basis of how many ppl are listening and not how valuable an act is?

For example in China not even actual download numbers determine certification but how much profit is being made. If you priced your song low you’d need more numbers to get the same certification.

It all depends on what you think charts should represent and I don’t think there’s consensus that “UL” is the way charts should be ranked.

• No one does that anywhere tbh what Gaon does. And for good reason. Who said charts should be ranked on the basis of how many ppl are listening and not how valuable an act is?

For example in China not even actual download numbers determine certification but how much profit is being made. If you priced your song low you’d need more numbers to get the same certification.

It all depends on what you think charts should represent and I don’t think there’s consensus that “UL” is the way charts should be ranked.

Deliberate streaming is the problem. If people simply streamed songs because they want to listen to them then of course it would great to use that as reflection of how valuable a song is. But we all know fandoms stream deliberately and aggressively for the sake of numbers not enjoyment so that reflects neither how popular or how valuable a song is.

• Deliberate streaming is the problem. If people simply streamed songs because they want to listen to them then of course it would great to use that as reflection of how valuable a song is. But we all know fandoms stream deliberately and aggressively for the sake of numbers not enjoyment so that reflects neither how popular or how valuable a song is.

That’s why they have guardrails in place. I trust capitalist companies to very much cap what they want to pay artists. If you see numbers being reflected then they accept those as streams and not bots.

This is a very vague topic on what you mean deliberate streaming. Prolly you mean using multiple devices or accounts etc. But that’s not really a realistic argument because there’s no way to know.

Value is money being made. So yes it’s extremely valuable. A mellow song playing as background noise for many ppl instead of a niche fanbase genuinely liking and listening doesn’t make it more valuable for me.

So how will you know a lot of these songs aren’t just background noise with no interest in the song nor the artist? Any sort of argument can be made for or against these type of measurements.

• That’s why they have guardrails in place. I trust capitalist companies to very much cap what they want to pay artists. If you see numbers being reflected then they accept those as streams and not bots.

This is a very vague topic on what you mean deliberate streaming. Prolly you mean using multiple devices or accounts etc. But that’s not really a realistic argument because there’s no way to know.

Value is money being made. So yes it’s extremely valuable.

Yes I mean people who use multiple devices but not only that, the mere fact people organise streaming parties is already dodgy because that's the opposite of spontaneous. And the problem is we don't know how much those practices inflate streams and that's why I said I understand why they get filtered.

Otherwise I agree that anything that generate profit is valuable to the artists and their agency, regardless where it comes from or how. I was only addressing the first paragraph of your op about Gaon streams filtering.

• If I'm listening to a playlist using Bluetooth earphones, but then get tired midway and leave the playlist running because my phone is too far away from me is that deliberate streaming? :whatr:

There's no way to actually be able to judge the intention of the streamer and then count the stream.

Imo Any fandom wouldn't be able to stream songs "deliberately" for a long time as people have work and jobs. So longevity is where we will be able to judge and rank different songs.

• If I'm listening to a playlist using Bluetooth earphones, but then get tired midway and leave the playlist running because my phone is too far away from me is that deliberate streaming? :whatr:

There's no way to actually be able to judge the intention of the streamer and then count the stream.

Imo Any fandom wouldn't be able to stream songs "deliberately" for a long time as people have work and jobs. So longevity is where we will be able to judge and rank different songs.

Agreed. There is no way to know intent.

But how much money is made is a tangible measure. So if eggso make money :pepe-toast:

• UK charts count 10 or 12 (I think) streams per song per account (Spotify for example) per day, which I think is fine

That's the maximum amount of times I could listen to the same song on a free day, even on a playlist with other songs in between

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!