How often do Koreans comment on looks?

• Hello!

I have a question that is mostly just due to curiosity about daily interactions:

1. I noticed that almost everyone gets called pretty or handsome by the Koreans even if the person actually doesn't look that good. I notice it especially with foreigners who don't fit the Korean standard at all, so I was wondering whether it's more of a formality among people when you first meet? and how common is it for people to remark something like that or compliment someone because I tend to see it almost all the time. Do they generally just compliment more than people from other countries? Thanks for answering!
  • from what I see from korean blogs SOME Koreans seem to idolize white foreign looks

and they are very direct about appearance, like they call u fat in your face

Thanks for responding! I do see a lot of Koreans complimenting each other and other asians and people of color from my experience, so I'm not sure if it has to do with white people. I've definitely read about the thing for white foreign looks though.

• I think it's an irritant trait we Koreans have. We will comment about others' looks non-nonchalantly. It's may be just small talk besides just pointing out flaws or compliment. Even thou I don't like this trait, I get myself commenting about a fellow Korean's looks as well. It's just normal.

I usually avoid making such comments to non-Koreans as it may look weird or rude. I guess when in Korea, they may just forget/not know about this behavior not being common for outsiders, so they will just comment as usual.

About complimenting foreigners despite not fitting Korean beauty standard, they aren't being judged on these standards of course. I can't say for myself, but I imagine most mean it. If someone is overweight or big headed (this is a thing too), we would bluntly comment on that too.

• I think it's an irritant trait we Koreans have. We will comment about others' looks non-nonchalantly. It's may be just small talk besides just pointing out flaws or compliment. Even thou I don't like this trait, I get myself commenting about a fellow Korean's looks as well. It's just normal.

I usually avoid making such comments to non-Koreans as it may look weird or rude. I guess when in Korea, they may just forget/not know about this behavior not being common for outsiders, so they will just comment as usual.

About complimenting foreigners despite not fitting Korean beauty standard, they aren't being judged on these standards of course. I can't say for myself, but I imagine most mean it. If someone is overweight or big headed (this is a thing too), we would bluntly comment on that too.

That makes sense. Thanks for responding! Is there a reason why foreigners are not judged on the standard?

• Hello!

I have a question that is mostly just due to curiosity about daily interactions:

1. I noticed that almost everyone gets called pretty or handsome by the Koreans even if the person actually doesn't look that good. I notice it especially with foreigners who don't fit the Korean standard at all, so I was wondering whether it's more of a formality among people when you first meet? and how common is it for people to remark something like that or compliment someone because I tend to see it almost all the time. Do they generally just compliment more than people from other countries? Thanks for answering!

I don't know about if Koreans do that (since I am neither Korean or live in South Korea) but beauty is such a subjective matter so if someone calls a person pretty or handsome they may just really think they are :)

“we never felt so young”

0a768997596edfb15ac5d9f26d04bda8676149e3.gif

• That makes sense. Thanks for responding! Is there a reason why foreigners are not judged on the standard?

I imagine most Koreans will just use Western celebrities as their standard judging from variety shows interactions between MC and foreigners.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!