Ohio GIRL Teen <-- POLICE SHOT DEAD ; Attacked Others with KNIFE ; 2021.04.20

• apnews.com/article/columbus-ohio-police-shooting-girl
    (Columbus OH) POLICE Shoot (4 bullets) and Kill Ma’Khia Bryant, Age 16

Who Attacked 2 with Knife ; 2021.04.20

(Click Here) AP News Photo of Black (Race) Teen Girl swinging knife

So , Click URL above to view Official Photo from the situation

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYZy-n4jtZs
    *Official POLICE Bodycam Video* ; 4m.06s Duration = CNN News Analysis

Note: The Teen GIRL was Police Gun Shot *4 TIMES* (4 Bullets)

www.reuters.com/news/picture/ohio-police-kill-black-teenage-girl

Ohio Police kill Black teenage girl Ma'Khia Bryant ; 2021.04.21

(21 Photos of Columbus OH Protester Citizens ; Slideshow)

Edited 2 times, last by krell ().

• (Reserved for Feedback Replies , Observations , Information)

forum.allkpop.com/thread/?postID=712389

Click for TOP Message this Thread.

---

JaedaKim (in a message below) said -->

"A lot of people are mad at the police officer who saved lives by shooting her only because she was black."

krell observation -->

NOT sure that one can conclude that the POLICE OFFICER involved necessarily did *anything* based on RACIAL considerations ... It MAY or MAY NOT be true.

Added later: Again , with the VIDEO available (thankfully = eliminates a *lot* of guessing and speculation) , one can VIEW it and conclude as YOU choose on it.

---

My added overall observation -->

Ma’Khia Bryan <-- Once she phoned POLICE , she should *stayed* (or gone back) *inside* her RESIDENCE ... Instead , she was OUTSIDE , in confrontational close proximity to others , with a WEAPON (KNIFE) ... NOT saying that POLICE did everything correctly or not either ... Legally , Ma’Khia Bryan was doing something (the confrontation , with a weapon) , that she did NOT need to be doing it (unfortunately) ... For me , *4 Shots* (Bullets) seems a *lot* in this situation by POLICE ... But likely , *within* POLICE acceptable job practices , would be my *guess* on it.

---

Edited 4 times, last by krell ().

• I wasn't taking about the accusation that the officer shot her based on race, I was talking about how a lot of people were really mad at the officer for shooting her because she was black

I don't know if the officer did anything that was racist, I personally believe he didn't and was doing his job but some people are angry because "it's another racist cop killing a black person"

That's all I meant, didn't mean to accuse the officer of anything and I'm sorry if it came off that way

• I agree completely, the safety of all people should be put first and this was not a matter of race

The officer was just doing their job

• It should never have escalated to her having to feel like she needs to stab someone in self defence. Ma’Khia Bryan was on her own property when the incident occurred, the person she almost stabbed was on Ma’Khia Bryan's property, with a gang, threatening to attack her (and also armed).

Ma’Khia Bryan, the girl who got shot, is the one who called the police before the incident, and the police ignored her callout. Whilst her callout was ignored, the group continued to destroy her property, call out to her, and threaten to harm her family. Eventually, knowing the police weren't coming, she brandished a knife in an attempt to scare off the attackers. It didn't work, and instead of being scared off, a girl (the one she was on top of) jumped on her first.

Yes, the police footage shows Ma’Khia Bryan attacking someone with a knife, and the police officer responding with gunfire, but the house CCTV footage shows a girl who has been forced to protect herself, her property, and her family, with a knife, because the police ignored her call.

Not only that, but damn, he could have used a taser. Police Officers are still not judge, jury, and executioner. They are absolutely trained in de-escalation.

I find it shocking that police officers (in America and abroad) can stop people brandishing and USING machetes, without any gunfire, but a 15 year old girl couldn't be stopped? The whole case reeks of police incompetence. From ignoring a callout, to not using their training in de-escalation and resorting to shooting.

• They are going to have to start giving cops meds so they stop getting so anxious. They also need to give something to people to calm them down, as crime is skyrocketing after corona.

• Ma’Khia Bryan <-- Once she phoned POLICE , she should *stayed* (or gone back) *inside* her RESIDENCE ... Instead , she was OUTSIDE , in confrontational close proximity to others , with a WEAPON (KNIFE) ... NOT saying that POLICE did everything correctly or not either ... Legally , Ma’Khia Bryan was doing something (the confrontation , with a weapon) , that she did NOT need to be doing it (unfortunately) ... For me , *4 Shots* (Bullets) seems a *lot* in this situation by POLICE ... But likely , *within* POLICE acceptable job practices , would be my *guess* on it.

• Ma’Khia Bryan <-- Once she phoned POLICE , she should *stayed* (or gone back) *inside* her RESIDENCE ... Instead , she was OUTSIDE , in confrontational close proximity to others , with a WEAPON (KNIFE) ... NOT saying that POLICE did everything correctly or not either ... Legally , Ma’Khia Bryan was doing something (the confrontation , with a weapon) , that she did NOT need to be doing it (unfortunately) ... For me , *4 Shots* (Bullets) seems a *lot* in this situation by POLICE ... But likely , *within* POLICE acceptable job practices , would be my *guess* on it.

The police were not coming, her window was smashed in. She did what she could in an attempt to scare off the attackers, and they were not scared off but jumped her instead.

She made a bad decision, yes, but its pretty clear she had no intent to stab ANYONE until she felt the need to brandish and use a weapon in self defence. The system failed her.

I am by no means saying this has anything to do with race, the police department that ignored her callout could not possibly have known her skin colour over the phone, but it is possible that 1) the police ignored her call because of the neighbourhood she lived in, or 2) her voice/accent was a giveaway of her ethnicity and thus they chose to ignore it. But, to the police officer who did happen to drive by the scene, all he could see was a young girl brandishing a weapon on another person.

To him, I hold a mixed responsibility. I am not sure why he opted to shoot, when the procedure is to tase and attempt de-escalation, but he could have been panicking, knowing he had to act quickly or potentially see a life taken.

This is not a cookie cutter case, unfortunately. Alongside systemic failure in response to a callout, a police officer acted as the judge and ended a (legally) innocent life. But to immediately brush this off as a closed case because a 15y old girl had a knife and in the bodycam footage she is stabbing someone, is EXACTLY the line that the police department are trying to push. Given we know the lengths that the police department have gone to cover up institutional discrimination against PoC, and women (an MI police department for example had ignored 1400 rape kits, which could have led to convictions of rapists), it seems weird that so many people are just accepting the PD's line. There is no excuse not to be nuanced in 2021.

And of course, in the case of superyeah, it is never too late to understand that maybe there was something you missed, and I totally welcome that dialogue between us! Thanks ~

ZKMUJeg.gif

Edited 3 times, last by Yan20 ().

• The police were not coming, her window was smashed in. She did what she could in an attempt to scare off the attackers, and they were not scared off but jumped her instead.

She made a bad decision, yes, but its pretty clear she had no intent to stab ANYONE until she felt the need to brandish and use a weapon in self defense. The system failed her.

IF that Ma’Khia Bryan was *inside* her residence , doing her 'defense/attack' with a knife behavior , THEN she would have a (legal) HOME INTRUSION type situation ... Being OUTSIDE as she was , is a bit DIFFERENT matter (legal standpoint) ... But YOU have described the overall situation *well* enough ... I have NO IDEA what a PROSECUTOR (or JUDGE) might make of it all ... I guess that we find out eventually.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!