Is Twice relevant and succesful in the US?

• Ok. We should settle this for all. I am not an American so I don't know but from what I read online. I see NCT127, Seventeen EXO, BTS and Blackpink getting nominated for US award shows. Even last year Red Velvet and Gidle got nominated for MTV award show. SuperM is debatable as well but I have never seen Twice get nominated in US award shows or even talked about on US TV show and the appearance on Stephen Colbert show was only youtube appearance and not shown during the US eposide on TV.

Even Loona achieved a radio hit with Star last year without US label.

I just can't see Twice do well in the US. Cute concepts is not something US audience care about. Are Twice popular in the US? or can they achieve fame like Blackpink and BTS or even NCT127?

• I think it's because of the earlier cute concept. The only thing about twice my friends know about is the cuteness and most people here don't like the cute concept :peperain:

JYP wanted Twice to do cute concept to breakthrough the asian market which they did but now it's hard for people to see them do another concept. No western artists has collaborated with them either because of their cute concepts they did. US artists are getting bolder with their music and lyrics. They openly talking wanted to have sex or like Saweetie My Type lol. Imagine they would collab with Twice how can they?!

US artists sing about male and female private parts while Twice sings about bubble gum love. lol

• Are you talking amongst the GP/industry or the US kpop niche? If the former than no other group is relevant beyond BTS and if the latter then yes they are popular and relevant.

• Are you talking amongst the GP/industry or the US kpop niche? If the former than no other group is relevant beyond BTS and if the latter then yes they are popular and relevant.

I mean Blackpink is known in US and I see NCT127 is becoming popular now and Seveenteen and TXT were on Ellen show recently and seemed to be known as well. Yes of course everyone knows BTS but I wouldn't say Twice is popular in the US but popular in Kpop community in the US but so do other groups like red velvet mamamoo and so on.

• JYP wanted Twice to do cute concept to breakthrough the asian market which they did but now it's hard for people to see them do another concept. No western artists has collaborated with them either because of their cute concepts they did. US artists are getting bolder with their music and lyrics. They openly talking wanted to have sex or like Saweetie My Type lol. Imagine they would collab with Twice how can they?!

US artists sing about male and female private parts while Twice sings about bubble gum love. lol

In the US it seems like there are only three concepts:

Dark (Girl Crush, Horror, or Sexy)

Playful (Teen Crush, Playful)

Cute (Just cute)

It seems like only the "dark" concepts succeed

• I mean, no group is really that known here. Bts is obviously the most known, but they can still be seen as cliche and with fans, who are annoying. Bp, who is the second largest group here is not as popular and not that well known, but I have heard a couple songs on the radio. Every other group is probably just known in the kpop circle in the US for the most part

• I don’t think Twice intended market is US at all initially. They are more suited to the Asian market. So I think US relevancy only matters to certain point for them.

I disagree to extend. JYP definitely tried to get Twice famous in the US last year and even singing to US label. I just don't see their achievement they have made in the US yet. Unless I am missing something?!

• This explains why new or less Kpop girl groups are doing the cute concept lol. They might want to have a chance in the US.

• OP Not even hiding at this point at trying to shade Twice.

They really dont need the US market. Big companies like JYP and SM try all the time to break into the US market with their grps. But its just an added bonus.

No group has ever depended on the US for success ever except for superM. Not even the biggest kpop groups in the US now

• OP Not even hiding at this point at trying to shade Twice.

They really dont need the US market. Big companies like JYP and SM try all the time to break into the US market with their grps. But its just an added bonus.

No group has ever depended on the US for success ever. Not even Blackpink and Bts

Are you serious? BTS is an example and reason why so many companies want their groups to enter the US market. BTS wasn't well known and respected as a group in Korea before they succeed in the US

• Are you serious? BTS is an example and reason why so many companies want their groups to enter the US market. BTS wasn't well known and respected as a group in Korea before they succeed in the US

What they mean is that BTS didn’t purposely target the US market. Their success and reach was organic. Which opened doors to other kpop artists and cut out the bullshit of not being well known and respected. They were popular among kpop stans in SK alr.

• I mean Blackpink is known in US and I see NCT127 is becoming popular now and Seveenteen and TXT were on Ellen show recently and seemed to be known as well. Yes of course everyone knows BTS but I wouldn't say Twice is popular in the US but popular in Kpop community in the US but so do other groups like red velvet mamamoo and so on.

Companies booking/paying money to appear on tv shows doesn't equate to popularity in the US. Im american and I can tell you no one knows much about kpop beyond bts and even then they don't know the members by name. So no, they aren't popular

• I live in the U.S. As always with Kpop, it depends on where you are. Awareness is higher in larger cities on the coasts (like NY and LA) than it is in the middle of the country (the Midwest.) I live in an area with higher than average Kpop awareness levels, but I am often reminded that my region is not representative of the tastes of all of the U.S. (And even then, if I went and asked the average boomer, they probably don’t know what I’m talking about.)

For the GP, the only group with mass awareness is sort of BTS, since they were just on the Grammys, but I feel pretty certain if you asked ten boomers in the Midwest, they wouldn’t know who they were, or even for those who are aware of them, can’t name a single song.

If you are talking people under 30, then add BP.

Seventeen, NCT 127, Super M have all charted on US Billboard and been on daytime and late night TV shows, but I still wouldn’t say most know them outside specific regions and specific age groups (ie people under 30, on the coasts.) They do not have mainstream awareness in the GP.

Twice, EXO, Monsta X, GOT7, TXT and Loona have also charted in the past few years and while they have large and passionate fan bases here (esp EXO and Twice), they are still not generally known outside of the Kpop subculture.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• What they mean is that BTS didn’t purposely target the US market. Their success and reach was organic. Which opened doors to other kpop artists and cut out the bullshit of not being well known and respected. They were popular among kpop stans in SK alr.

That's not true. They were not popular and well known in Korea before their success in the US. The US made BTS who they are now and yes BTS achieved everything by hard work and their music sytle just fits with US music taste.

• Thanks that the inside info I need.

• That's not true. They were not popular and well known in Korea before their success in the US. The US made BTS who they are known and yes BTS achieved everything by hard work and their music sytle just fits with US music taste.

So all the daesangs they won before popping off in US were bcos they were not popular? Fire and spring day was alr a GP hit before they become popular in US. BTS did become significantly more popular after their billboard achievements but they were not nobodies. They were/are considered to be to top popular boys groups even before that.

• Among the KPOP niche? They're pretty much the 3rd most popular KPOP group after BTS and BP. Eyes Wide Open peaked at #72 on Billboard 200, so that shows they have a stable fanbase in the US willing to buy.

In general? Only BTS and arguably BP among people who follow pop culture.

NCT charted substantially higher on the Billboard 200, FWIW, so I think they’re a contender for that third place spot. Neo Zone was #5 on BB 200, and the previous release, supported by an aggressive American push, was #11. The full unit Resonance release was #6.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• So all the daesangs they won before popping off in US were bcos they were not popular? Fire and spring day was alr a GP hit before they become popular in US. BTS did become significantly more popular after their billboard achievements but they were not nobodies. They were/are considered to be to top popular boys groups even before that.

I didn't say they weren't popular but no where near EXO level back then or SuperJunior and so on.

• NCT charted substantially higher on the Billboard 200, FWIW, so I think they’re a contender for that third place spot. Neo Zone was #5 on BB 200, and the previous release, supported by an aggressive American push, was #11. The full unit Resonance release was #6.

I agree NCT127 is more popular and known than Twice in the US. They are third for sure.

• So all the daesangs they won before popping off in US were bcos they were not popular? Fire and spring day was alr a GP hit before they become popular in US. BTS did become significantly more popular after their billboard achievements but they were not nobodies. They were/are considered to be to top popular boys groups even before that.

I think Spring Day is the crucial time when BTS started to shine in both Korea and US. Spring Day was the first idol song to chart in Billboard bubbling under (a Monday release did that without any US promotions what so ever), and Spring Day charted on Melon and never left til this very day lol.

This means Korea already started to fall in love with BTS in tandem with BTS US domination. Amazing

• I think Spring Day is the crucial time when BTS started to shine in both Korea and US. Spring Day was the first idol song to chart in Billboard bubbling under (a Monday release did that without any US promotions what so ever), and Spring Day charted on Melon and never left til this very day lol.

This means Korea already started to fall in love with BTS in tandem with BTS US domination. Amazing

Thanks for info. Yeah BTS music just fits with Korean and American music tastes. They songs are amazing!

• I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head here. I'd also add that most K-Pop artists don't have anything that makes them stand out. Like really outside of the fandom who's going to remember that #189 album debut.

I feel like BTS and BLACKPINK have things that makes them stand out or at least gets their name outside of just the K-Pop bubble.

"Bunch of wannabes that wanna be me, me three if I was you"

• For kpop standards? yeah... they are probably only behind bts & bp. Overall I would say slightly relevant but mostly in the kpop niche. I wouldn't really call them successful as their albums sell like 5k pure units there, but they do good enough considering they were able to have a few concerts there

• Kpop is a niche its not targeted at the American gp. Outside of bts all other groups fall under the kpop shadow.

I don't understand this logic of sk liking only cute concepts whereas I fans like badass concepts. Then Bts's older concepts like no more dream should have blown up instead of DNA. They should have kept their tougher rap focused image when they blew up.

Another Example: Mamamoo is faaaaaar from being a cute group but their popularity in sk is insane. Mamamoo were the only girl group that the snooty actors award shows clapped and cheered for. According to this logic mamamoo should be popular only in the west when in reality majority of their fan base is in sk.

Desbundar

• This thread contains 63 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!