Stray Kids: 'KINGDOM - Legendary War' First Round Performance Review + Analysis

• Stray Kids' 1st Round Stage:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Before I begin this review, I'd like to briefly touch-up on the fact that Stray Kids are my bias group and therefore, I have an extensive attachment to the concept of this performance due my experience as one of their fans. With that begin said, I'll get onto the review!

First off, before I even begin to comment on the stage itself, I'd like to draw attention to the title of this performance '自神 (스스로 '자', 귀신 '신') - 스트레이 키즈'. The mixture of characters '自神' translate to self '自' (ja) and spirit/god '神' (shin) which in hangul is '자신' (ja-shin) which can mean 'oneself' and 'confidence'. This title directly correlates with message Stray Kids' performance carries - which will be explained later on in this review. This is particularly important, not only because it demonstrates Stray Kids' creativity but also because the theme of the first round was 'TO THE WORLD' which requires groups to present their identity to a wide audience. The manner in which Stray Kids illustrate a complete understanding of the purpose of this round only elevates them; they are not simply embodying a present 'niche' concept, but they are creating one that suits is their identity.

As the performance begins, we can see Stray Kids are shown being controlled by a darker force. I believe that this is a direct reference to 'Side Effects' , a song that received heavy criticism - with people asking them to 'tone it down!' or 'change their concept'. Them being controlled by these 'darker forces' (back-up dancers) symbolize how they were, at first, being swayed by these criticisms which they thought would lead them to the light - success - as shown by Han who seems to be hypnotised by a small light that a 'darker force' (back-up dancer) carries.

These darker forces not only seem to control individual members but they also prevent the members from being connected to one another when they are seen dragging members away into separate sections of what seems to be a maze. There are times at this point where you can see members attempting to ignore these dark forces but they are still influenced by them and fighting them physically - at this point, Seungmin sings 'I threw myself with trust in me, but why am I being swayed?'

The camera pans to a section of the maze where three members are seen separated by blocks and two members are seen standing in a frame, controlled like puppets by the dark clothed back-up dancers. This puppet scene is significant as it shows that Stray Kids are, at this point, completely subject to the darker forces and it controls the manner in which they make choices or perform actions. The lyrics that members sing this point are: 'get out of the way you all! - actually I am - I'm right! - scared'. This shows that whilst the members are presenting an image (refer to the frame surrounding them) of themselves that seem to be showing their true selves, in reality, they are scared(and fighting) because they slaves to the actions of the darker forces - criticism they face.

When Han starts to rap, moving away from the box that the darker forces have placed him in, the camera moves to Felix, who holds a bell and states 'my head hurts'. From this we can infer that they are tired of being swayed by their criticisms. The darker forces that move in the background and suddenly jut out their hands around Felix. This symbolizes the darker forces attempting to prevent him from ringing the bell which Felix's manner of alarming the members that they should not resist the darker forces, but they can embrace them in a manner that defines their identity.

They are not simply resisting these darker forces, they are embracing their criticisms and making them become their identify.

This is very purposeful as when Felix continues to ring the bell, 'Side Effects' becomes 'Gods' Menu', the very song that took Stray Kids' criticisms of being 'construction music' and 'noisy' and exemplified them to the point where they became the defining factors of the track. This choice is undeniably significant as despite being an quintessential embodiment of every musical criticism Stray Kids faced, God's Menu is their most sucessful track. Their choice to perform a mash-up of these tracks brings forth Stray Kids' playful use of irony.

As God's Menu begins, the member unite all together on a platform (now joint) as below them, a white curtain - perhaps symbolic of the spreading of their identity - is seen consuming the darker forces. The Stray Kids members take centre stage and they are no longer subject to the darker forces, but they dance in unison to them. This implies that they aren't actually fighting the criticisms they were once faced with, but they are standing alongside them and performing with them - using them to shape themselves.

When the introduction finishes, Han is seen surrounded by the back up dancers with a screen that states 'EVIL' displayed behind him. In this shot, the back up dancers are not in unison with Han, they are behind him and sneaking around. When the camera moves up and comes down, the display behind them states 'LIVE' and in this shot, we can see that Han and the back-up dancers are playfully teasing the screen. This again references that if Stray Kids fight their critics and separate themsevles from it, that it is negative influence towards them. This shows that if Stray Kids want to 'LIVE' , all they have to do is embrace their criticisms. Furthermore, at the end of this sequence, the back-up dancers lift Han, preventing him from falling, This impersonates the ironic success of God's Menu, in which their criticisms lead to their way to becoming sucessful, elevating them from the ground.

Again Stray Kids demonstrate excellent use of parallelism (EVIL - LIVE) when in the next shot, we see Bang Chan, and a back-up dancer (whom I respect very much for his incredible performance) mirroring each other as Bang Chan stands upon the top of a platform and below, the back up dancer mirrors his movements. At this point Bang Chan sings that they are 'one of a kind' which implies that Stray Kids and the darker forces are one body that forms an identity.

Next, Seungmin rushes towards the platform and free falls, where the back-up dancers 'darker forces', catch him. This shows that Stray Kids trust that the darker supposed 'EVIL' forces will catch them, showing how deeply rooted criticisms are in heir identity. This message is once again mirrored when Stray Kids are shown connected and controlling the back-up dancers. Their control isn't one of complete restriction but of being joint together (by a red string).

After this scene, the camera shows Felix with the bell 'fighting' the darker forces - yet unlike before, the darker forces do not physically touch him and it's almost like they are dancing instead of fighting. This shot continues to where 'Side Effects' begins merge with 'Gods' Menu' and Changbin is seen being elevated by the darker forces - showing the audience that these criticisms that have become a part of their identity have helped them reach new heights.

The performance ends with the back-up dancers 'darker forces' bowing down to Stray Kids, which demonstrates their respect towards Stray Kids, one that would not have been possible if Stray Kids had not danced alongside them. This almost seems to ironically play off the fact that Stray Kids' haters became their fans during God's Menu.

In my personal opinion, I believe that this performance is the performance that truly embodies the concept of the first round which was to present the group's identity TO THE WORLD. This performance wasn't simply a 'concept', a disposable one time display - it was a passionate, genuine, visual manifestation of Stray Kids' group identity. People may argue that this 'mashup' was too chaotic as a criticism, but after all... that is a defining trait of Stray Kids' identity, as suggested this stage and Stray Kids previous songs 'Back Door' and 'God's Menu'.

Thank you for reading!

Edited once, last by kidsgonestray ().

• It was a good performance, when I first watched it I quite liked it.. but the arrangement did not do it for me... I like God's menu and side effects as individual songs a lot but this mashup didnt do it for me...

also there was so much happening all the time I ended up remembering nothing except felix holding that bell..

it seemed very creative though when I first watched it.. but I kinda have some better expectations from them. it felt god's menu went wasted in this performance sadly. Their intro was very good so I am a bit disappointed. anticipating their performance for the next round though

• but the arrangement did not do it for me... I like God's menu and side effects as individual songs a lot but this mashup didnt do it for me...

Really? The arrangement was the highlight for me! I don't think they could have used God's Menu in any better way. The manner in which they performed God's Menu exceeded my expectations - if they had just left it untouched with a simple arrangement, it wouldn't have been any different than their end of year stages. But this? I absolutely adored it.

I adored almost all of the arrangements this round actually - apart from The Boyz. No Air was my favourite song from them apart for 'The Stealer' but somehow, by arranging it theatrically, I think it lost it's original sound and it became more of a video game track than the memorable piece it once was. However, I did quite enjoy the overall vibe their performance gave.

• Really? The arrangement was the highlight for me! I don't think they could have used God's Menu in any better way. The manner in which they performed God's Menu exceeded my expectations - if they had just left it untouched with a simple arrangement, it wouldn't have been any different than their end of year stages. But this? I absolutely adored it.

I adored almost all of the arrangements this round actually - apart from The Boyz. No Air was my favourite song from them apart for 'The Stealer' but somehow, by arranging it theatrically, I think it lost it's original sound and it became more of a video game track than the memorable piece it once was. However, I did quite enjoy the overall vibe their performance gave.

Same!! <3:thumbup:

Stray Kids arrangement for this performance really did blow my mind of how it all flowed together really nicely.

And regarding your point about The Boyz ~ No Air performance, I agree 100% with that. It kind of lost the vibe and feel of No Air, so it did not really stick with me. But I still enjoyed it regardless of how the arrangement went <3:claps:

work in progress

• I'm sure Stray Kids would love to read this review If they had the opportunity, because they always made it clear It's SO IMPORTANT to them that people actually understand their message and storyline through performances.

What fascinates me the most is that the Concept of the performance was from their minds. The performances directors from JYP came with what they should do and they argued against it using their own conceptions of their group's color. Seungmin came with the suggestion of performing Side Effects along with God's Menu, Chan used his productions' knowledge to explain.why a arreagement of both would work better than God's Menu with Hellevator, Felix came with the whole Evil = Live idea and Changbin reforced, while Lee Know discussed how they should try a concept for God's Menu totally different from their year-end shows and so goes on...

And the JYP staff actually listened to them and trusted their creative! They were completed persuaded by their idea. That was so nice.

They are really one of a kind.

• anyway, I really liked how Bang Chan mixed Side Effects with Gods Menu. When I heard that the performance would be a mashup between the two, I expected something different and I was positively surprised

the production has multiple layers and I personally loved how he used violins in one part

• anyway, I really liked how Bang Chan mixed Side Effects with Gods Menu. When I heard that the performance would be a mashup between the two, I expected something different and I was positively surprised

the production has multiple layers and I personally loved how he used violins in one part

The section with the violins is actually Mozart’s 40th Symphony

‘Composed in 1788, it is one of only two symphonies he wrote in minor keys and reflects his interest in the artistic movement known as Sturm und Drang (Storm and Stress), in which darker and stronger emotions were showcased.’

• The section with the violins is actually Mozart’s 40th Symphony

‘Composed in 1788, it is one of only two symphonies he wrote in minor keys and reflects his interest in the artistic movement known as Sturm und Drang (Storm and Stress), in which darker and stronger emotions were showcased.’

I didn't really know that, thanks for the information :pepelove1:

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

off topic but :pepecry:

• Really? The arrangement was the highlight for me! I don't think they could have used God's Menu in any better way. The manner in which they performed God's Menu exceeded my expectations - if they had just left it untouched with a simple arrangement, it wouldn't have been any different than their end of year stages. But this? I absolutely adored it.

it felt like a mess to me... God's menu kinda felt lost except the dududu part. ofc I dont mean they should have left in untouched but this particular arrangement wasnt it.

Also i liked no air's arrangement but I do believe it could have been done way better, tbz have shown way better arrangements before in rtk... my fav arrangement this time around was definitely ateez.. I could see the changes they made without compromising the original sound of the song which was great and it was very catchy and impactful

• Flawless review as usual!

When I was watching the episode I had the same impression, that they used two of their most polarizing tracks (in terms of public opinion) to display their narrative.

I felt like they slapped my face with this performance and I'm not complaining.

Despite Felix being the most memorable "character" of the performance, I need to say that Lee Know left me a massive good impression. He was SHINING while performing and how his theme blended so well with Jisung's theme was also satisfying to watch.

I have just one thing to complain

Hyunjin wasn't there :pepecute:

Tbh, I have no complaints 'cause they proved that they can do it!

I've seen so many fans (mostly Stays) questioning their unity as a whole 'cause of Hyunjin's absence, saying that "the performance might not give any strong impact without him" and they proved them wrong.

Not only that, but the boys left some OT8 easter eggs on the performance which is respectable and loving from them.

Their unity is there, their energy is there.

• I agree! I feel like KINGDOM shows that every Stray Kids member can deliver. I might even go as far as to say the other members are gaining popularity from the GP as they have an opportunity to shine too!

• Tbh, I have no complaints 'cause they proved that they can do it!

I've seen so many fans (mostly Stays) questioning their unity as a whole 'cause of Hyunjin's absence, saying that "the performance might not give any strong impact without him" and they proved them wrong.

Not only that, but the boys left some OT8 easter eggs on the performance which is respectable and loving from them.

Their unity is there, their energy is there

I miss Hyunjin more in a sentimental way :pepecute:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!