Do You Think Kpop is a Local/National Music Genre?

• There are always Korean Wave just like when 2nd gen groups like Super Junior and Wonder Girls, and Gangnam Style blew up. But Kpop never have a place like Hollywood/US or Latin songs. And a lot of people hates Kpop, they always say things like, "Plastic surgery, can't sing, etc,". Does USPop fans arrogant because their USPop has been at the top for so long?

Thanks to internet, some Kpop groups get some recognition from non-Korean. But, when a Kpop groups go international like BTS or BP they get the hate from non-Kpop listener aka USPop fans. Not like when Latin singer go international, they just chill. If someone listened to Latin songs they say, "Oh cool, I like that song too". When someone listened to Kpop, "Ew, a plastic fan"

Other languages don't get recognition as much as USPop as well. But they don't get the hate because maybe not as big as Kpop. And you know what really grinds my gears? When you have to debut in US to get recognized

Will Kpop be accepted internationally? Maybe they still young? Or people just hate USPop competitors?

Sorry if I confuse Spanish with Latin. I don't understand the language

• Kpop is just starting to gain some traction in the west and you've mentioned BTS and BP - take dynamite which was one of the biggest songs last year and I believe is still charting on bb100 if I'm not mistaken.

It takes a while for anything new to gain a foothold - you've mentioned latin music I'm sure when that first started people thought it was shit as well but now its accepted as mainstream.

For kpop i think you need to give it time - the hallyu wave is only beginning to wash onto western shores in these last few years compared to the love that kpop gets in Asia so give it time. SK is playing the long-game and I would say ten twenty years maybe if even longer

• im told its big in China, Japan and places like Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia but idk.

In terms of here in Europe Ive only heard 3 songs on the radio and drive daily.

KAMU in 2018 two times, but kind of expected Dua is massive here.

BWL and Dynamite 1 time each but only on launch week..

I dont think the GP in Europe and the US will ever ses it as mainstream music wise, if 3rd gen couldnt make it happen I dont think others will have as big a shot.

But I think being popular in Asia and even somewhat in LatAm is enough to say it isnt local.

• Kpop is just starting to gain some traction in the west and you've mentioned BTS and BP - take dynamite which was one of the biggest songs last year and I believe is still charting on bb100 if I'm not mistaken.

It takes a while for anything new to gain a foothold - you've mentioned latin music I'm sure when that first started people thought it was shit as well but now its accepted as mainstream.

For kpop i think you need to give it time - the hallyu wave is only beginning to wash onto western shores in these last few years compared to the love that kpop gets in Asia so give it time. SK is playing the long-game and I would say ten twenty years maybe if even longer

So they are still young. Because I don't really follow music trends, so I don't know about Latin's struggle. I only watch what's trending ^^

• Kpop is growing bigger all the time and I do think that it will be properly recognized some day but I don't think anytime soon. Unfortunately, the US pop scene is in control globally and because it is so big I don't think Kpop will ever be bigger to it. Maybe equal in a few decades.

• Well the only reason why Latin Music is more successful in the US is because 50M Americans speak it every day. There's a real audience for it. Korean is spoken by like 1M people here. If the situation were reversed, Kpop would easily be as mainstream as Latin music. Kpop is literally just American boyband music with Korean lyrics and a unique fan culture built around it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!