It irks me how pretty privilege plays a huge part in cancelling (Irene rant)

• Let‘s face it: Irene wouldn’t have gotten away with being revealed to be as demeaning and cruel as she was to that one editor if it wasn‘t for her face. She would have received lots of comments arguing that “physiognomy is science” and that would have been it for her career and overall reputation. And she wasn’t an eighteen-year-old with some anger issues, but a grown ass woman that should have known better. I’m saying this as a former reveluv: I wish the editor had revealed the recording. I’m not saying she shouldn’t be forgiven after a time of reflection, but she shouldn’t have been shielded either. I highly doubt this was an isolated case. It rarely is, and people don‘t change overnight. That‘s not how it works.

It‘s really crazy how stans are always preaching about respect and idols being human too, but will dehumanize whomever happens to have been affected by their idol‘s shitty behavior and elevate their fave to an indulgent ideal critter who made one little minor mistake.

• So how exactly did she "get away" with it? She got tons of hate, she apologised personally to the editor and publicly too, she has been in a hiatus for months, she still gets hate whenever she's brought up or someone else gets in a similar controversy. And we don't even know whether she'll still have a career once she comes back (if she comes back).

So, what else do you think should happen to her to count as fair retribution to you? Public humiliation? Jail time? Electric chair?

• Well, i do understand your point and anger as she was shielded a lot by her fans and i fans, but really... It passed already and she did apologize personally and publicly so there is nothing to do anymore. Aaaaaand i don't like the idea of a person losing it job forever when that same person can change.. her scandal wasn't that extreme to her career to be over forever.

• So how exactly did she "get away" with it? She got tons of hate, she apologised personally to the editor and publicly too, she has been in a hiatus for months, she still gets hate whenever she's brought up or someone else gets in a similar controversy. And we don't even know whether she'll still have a career once she comes back (if she comes back).

So, what else do you think should happen to her to count as fair retribution to you? Public humiliation? Jail time? Electric chair?

public caning? lol

i think they did it in Singaporean schools a long time ago

• You are obviously exaggerating what Irene did. Bad attitudes are the norm in any industry and in society.

What Irene did during that incident was probably uncalled for yet the shielding is expected for any popular and famous person. We got literal pedophiles get shielding because they put out popular music or movies.

And yes, visual often overrides the objective reactions from people.

However, Irene's case was relatively minor compared to the abuse and mistreatment most people around the world are getting right now.

• Hasn't this passed, Irene was in the wrong and everyone should accept that but she apologized to the stylist and publicly. She was shielded I admit but whenever someone brings up irene there's always hate to her or when a bad attitude allegation surfaces there's always comments about irene

women's wrongs activist

:lovec::cheersc::lovec:

• it's true, but watch them calling you toxic now :pepe-cringe: they will never admit how swallow the world we live at. Looks are almost everything. If it was Jimin or some irrelavent T-ara member they would be out of the industry.

Edited once, last by haj1ma ().

• What she did was bad , but you make out to be as if she committed some crime , everyone has a bad day and gets angry, besides she apologized to the stylist and the stylist said she took her apology so why are you offended ? Also if Irene was a hollywood celebrity people would've called her diva and called it a day.

would you say the same thing if that was your mother being bullied for straight 15 mins? Bad day!!! Too many directors, coordies and choreographers outed her, it's not a bad day. She is always been like that. Lmao "it's just a bad day" :pepe-clown-gear:

• If she looked like Soojin The Bully, Lia or whatever other idol whose visual is constantly being shat on, she would no longer have a career. The Korean GP are warming up to her again because of her face (yes, she may have done tis and tat, but she’s so pretty...) what‘s so hard to understand? I‘m not saying she shouldnt be forgiven, but that the forgiveness proccess has been undeniably accelerated by her physical beauty.

Also, it wasn‘t just a bad day for her. She didn‘t deny anything the editor wrote about her, did she? The editor said the idol had an infamous reputation among insiders for being rude and having a bad attitude, and that she had been told awful stories about her. Former SM stylists gave the victim their support. How on earth do you make an industry senior cry? How stuck-up does one have to be to need the threat of a recording to finally one up to a mistake? Y‘all really think it is one isolated case... I wonder how many people have been paid by SM to keep their mouth shut.

• it's true, but watch these idiots calling you toxic now :pepe-cringe: they will never admit how swallow the world we live at. Looks are almost everything. If it was Jimin or some irrelavent T-ara member they would be out of the industry.

Stan culture is so toxic people are unable to see the pretty person they idolize for being pretty is ugly inside... makes me sick to my stomach

• What are we supposed to do? Crucify her? The victim moved on, and so should you. Irene lost brand deals, got tons of hate, and is on hiatus. Yall are too much, thinking she got away with it.

unstan her, like that's the least you could do, but you are blinded by her beauty to do it. You people are weak. :pepe-hehe:

if Baekhyun did what she did I would unstan him, just like I unstanned Chanyeol. I would be disgusted.

Too good for me tho, Baekhyun is an actual angel. :pepe-sad:

These idols don't deserve to be successful and I have no sympathy for them and their fans.

Edited once, last by haj1ma ().

• Irene has apologized, and the victim accepted her apology. I have no idea why this is still being brought up, but I do agree with you OP. Pretty privilege is real, and so many shitty people get away with shitty things because they’re attractive. However, I do think that Irene has been through enough. She got a lot of hate, and she’s still currently on hiatus I believe.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!