Lookism in Scandals.

• Once a Korea celebrity scandals come out, there are people who drag the looks of the celebrity which I think is very twisted of people. It just shows how much lookism the world is suffering from. There are two types of it

The First Type (BASHING OF LOOKS)

This is evident in Woojin, Jimin of Aoa scandals

You see comments like

she’s was never that pretty in the first place”

“ why is she rude? Her face is the product of plastic surgery”

“Imagine having both an ugly face and ugly personality”

At least be pretty inside , if you’re not pretty outside “

Like for the seo yeji and Kim Jung hyun issue, you see seo yeji fans commenting stuff like this

What an ugly man”

How did he become an actor with that face”

“He looks like a monkey”

The second type (THE PRETTY PRIVILEGE)

Evident in Irene, Hyunjin , Seolhyun and some other celebrities I can’t recall at the moment. I don’t hate any of these idols at all, they are actually some of my faves.

The reactions to them were quite funny

For example on Irene’s case:

Comments were like

“ You can’t deny it, she has a perfect face”

“Bad character or not, she’s a goddess “

“ why would you have this face and do such a thing, Irene-ah”

“ She’s so beautiful that people will forgive her once she shows her face on tv”

I mean look at the difference in reaction towards Seolhyun and jimin, yes jimin was the perpetrator so the crime is of a higher level but the way people literally obliterated her because she’s considered less attractive

Some of her comments

she looks like an uglier version of Samuel L Jackson”

“She’s the ugliest female idol I have ever seen

Someone actually wrote this like I’m not Kidding

At least Seolhyun is pretty, what’s jimin excuse for bullying”

What I’m trying to say is, Let’s just focus on calling them for their bad attitude and personalities and leave their looks outta of it.

Physiology has nothing to do with someone being a bad person. A beautiful person can be nasty and an ugly person can be nasty.

Thanks for coming to my TED TALK :pepe-toast:

<3:borahae: YUNAGAYO   <3 :borahae:

img.gif

• but even in life pretty people are treated better than less pretty people...

is it pretty privilege or some other term but it occurs and it's difficult to remove or eliminate...

whether it's getting better service at the bar or getting someone to buy you a drink or getting a job over someone less attractive it happens...

the question is - is it wrong?

• Not to sidestep the thrust of your op.

But I disagree with the entire premise that Seolhyun is guilty of any crime at all.

There's no indication she was a perpetrator.

I think most took a guilt by association route with that one.

Which I disagree with on principle.

She was unfairly targeted in the first place in my assessment. Even before her looks entered the equation as a factor for people offering judgement.

As to your OP's point. I agree that physiognomy is a crock of baloney. And too widely a held heuristic.

• I agree with you on the Seolhyun part, I just wanted to prove a point using that comment

<3:borahae: YUNAGAYO   <3 :borahae:

img.gif

• It's not only in kpop. I've seen people act this way all the time. When they hate someone's personality or doings, they go onto shade their looks. I find this extremely weird and they should realize their personality as well is no better.

I know right! It seems like some of these kpop fans brain cells only get less. Well, we can celebrate the existence of their last two brain cells!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!