BTS is the most critically acclaimed boyband worldwide or in Korea ever

• So, it is a well know fact that BTS is the most artistic boyband ever (talking about boybands as pop groups, not rock groups like Beatles). They have taken the whole genre to a whole new level. This has resulted in critical acclaim never before seen for a mainstream boyband or a mainstream pop group.

Here are some facts to prove it.

This is the average metacritic score for most recent popular boybands:

78 BTS

66 Jonas Brothers

65 NSync

64 One Direction

62 Take That

59 Backstreet Boys

MOTS7 is the the highest rated boyband album, with score of 82 , followed by BE and Progress by Take That which have 80. Most boyband albums have a score of less than 70, BTSs lowest rating is 74. Things dont change much if we add girls groups, Fifth Harmony being the most critically acclaimed with an average score of 71.

The situation is same in Korea, where BTS has 3 KMAs daesangs, Big Bang has 1, SNSD has 1. Thats it for kpop groups.

Just a reminder as we face more award shows and people start talking about quality :danceb:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content open.spotify.com

External Content open.spotify.com

• With that discography I expect nothing else. Having such a large non-Korean speaking fandom globally without great music is nigh impossible.

• Not surprised, lots of those boyband albums had a lot of fillers. And I say that as a huge fan of Backstreet Boys but their albums have a lot of skips. I tend to repeat a lot some tracks but the rest are just skippable.

• huh. Destiny's Child who only had 58 and are ranked lower than backstreet boys and all other boybands. The way people were talking about them made me think their music was good or something.

Even Michael Jackson got only 51 for his Invincible album and 54 for Michael...

Edited 2 times, last by lashin ().

• Who even comes close to making masterpieces like this? BTS are the complete package musically, lyrically, performance and personality wise.

I am glad their artistry is recognised atleast to some extent, though still not enough for my liking.

• Who even comes close to making masterpieces like this? BTS are the complete package musically, lyrically, performance and personality wise.

I am glad their artistry is recognised atleast to some extent, though still not enough for my liking.

Definitely not close to enough. Hope that changes this year :danceb:

The low ratings of all the previous big boybands show how poorly viewed the whole genre is. BTS has had to deal with this prejudice in addition to the reputation of kpop and the language barrier to get any recognition. Its has taken years of incredibly good, outstanding albums to even start getting these scores, though they deserve higher.

• God, I hated that pretentious Black Swan video so much. Thanks for reminding me of that video.

• anyway their discography is flawless and filled with beautiful masterpieces they have songs for every occasion and they manage to make every song sound good despite the amount of versitality they have :groovins::groovins:

• The low ratings of all the previous big boybands show how poorly viewed the whole genre is. BTS has had to deal with this prejudice in addition to the reputation of kpop and the language barrier to get any recognition. Its has taken years of incredibly good, outstanding albums to even start getting these scores, though they deserve higher.

wow great point! It's truly mind-blowing how many barriers BTS have had and how they STILL managed to excel despite all the things that have set them up for failure :cryingr:

• this is what satisfies me the most, knowing the industry is starting to see beyond the "phenomenon" to the real substance that's there for appreciation. Get that recognition BTS, you guys deserve it and more! :happyr:

• You know numbers aside this is also something widely accepted by the industry. BTS have changed the boy group criticism of being one dimensional. Their music and image had more depth and uniqueness than ever seen.

• i feel like a lot of people dont really check out bts because of all the negative stereotypes associated with boy band music and they also have the kpop label attached to them which doesnt help

a lot of my friends liked mic drop and were surprised when they heard who released it :D

• i feel like a lot of people dont really check out bts because of all the negative stereotypes associated with boy band music and they also have the kpop label attached to them which doesnt help

a lot of my friends liked mic drop and were surprised when they heard who released it :D

BTS should do more hip hop next album, they still have so much more room to grow within the male demographic.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Let’s bit with Destinys Child.. they along with TLC were both two of the most acclaimed girl groups in their prime.

Well we have to remember metacritic wasn’t created until 2001, so Destiny Child first 2 albums (basically half their entire discography) doesn’t have a metacritic rating as albums released before June 2001 don’t have metacritic scores unless they were remastered or re-released.

• Let’s bit with Destinys Child.. they along with TLC were both two of the most acclaimed girl groups in their prime.

Well we have to remember metacritic wasn’t created until 2001, so Destiny Child first 2 albums (basically half their entire discography) doesn’t have a metacritic rating as albums released before June 2001 don’t have metacritic scores unless they were remastered or re-released.

Yeah, they would probably have a higher score if earlier albums were included. I doubt it would be BTS level though.

Also add to the fact that BTS most hyped songs are all the bubblegum pop. Not to say I hate them or anything but I didn’t fall for them at first because of those songs

Still dynamite is a bop :groovins:

• Also add to the fact that BTS most hyped songs are all the bubblegum pop. Not to say I hate them or anything but I didn’t fall for them at first because of those songs

Still dynamite is a bop :groovins:

They can draw people in with pop perfection, but they have substance to make people fans once you start going through the discography.

• This thread contains 48 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!