What exactly is the point or goal of mentioning big 3 (and HYBE now) privilege ?

• I'll start off by saying yes I know the groups I like are privileged but no I do not care.. Like what is the point??

Do you want my faves to give all their sales and accomplishments to smaller groups ??

What does me a random kpop fan in America recognizing that Korean groups I like are privileged do?? Does it make smaller groups sell or chart better ?

At the end of the day y'all complaining about big 3 (and HYBE) privilege does not change anything.. If y'all care go to South Korea and have a sit down with LSM JYP YG and Bang PD about how their new groups who debut from now on will have so much unfair press and coverage compared to nugu groups.

Like I get the frustration but 9 times out of 10 people only say big 3 privilege as a way to shade groups

And even with the big 3 privilege people forget big 3 have "flop and nugu" groups and "nugu" companies have iconic groups !!

KARA T-ARA SISTAR MAMAMOOO 4-Minute VIXX Infinite PENTAGON G-IDLE SEVENTEEN G-Friend BTS <~ These groups aren't from big 3 and some of them (BTS KARA SEVENTEEN) actually out performed big 3 groups from their generation .

So can we please stop using this as a weak drag??? Please???

• I doesn't really matter if you just enjoy the music and MVs for what they are

But the charts and numbers matter to many others and that's where the privilege comes in

Where is my JYPE Day6 privilege? Still trying to find it

Exactly Day6 is a big 3 group and they're not treated like one and also digital charting is pretty much dead for boy groups who aren't BTS EXO Shinee and Big Bang

• Official Post

It's just another way to drag Big 3 groups as not talented or deserving of any success they achieve.

Privilege is all about perspective.

Sure the Big 3 have more money for promotions and comebacks.

Every group is privileged in some way. Some groups aren't able to be on variety shows or hold showcases or even have regular comebacks. Some of them aren't even given the proper equipment to perform. Some of them would be thrilled to get even 100k YouTube views on one of their MVs.

But for the trainees who never get to debut, even those groups are privileged because they actually got to debut.

• big 3 have "flop and nugu" groups

this is so wrong :pepenomad:

which big 3 group has actually flopped? I mean kpop fans always throw the word "flop" randomly out of nowhere. But let's be honest, have big 3 groups ever failed so hard that they had to disband before having a comeback after debut?

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

c09dafd21a568e816f2cb77504fa56a8086e9412.gifv

• I don't think the privilege is the way many think it is

#1 Sure the Big 3 have more resources and a lot more fans who will listen to new groups just because they are from that company (which this plays into popularity a lot, not dragging any groups tho cuz you have to be insanely talented to debut in any case)

#2 The Big 3 have a lot more money to play with to do more with songs, MVs and performaces

#3 They also have more money if they wanted to manipulate the charts, although most don't need to because of #1

#4 Some fans act like people succeed simply because they are part of the Big 3 but in reality, if a group was complete trash, it wouldn't matter what company they came from because they would fail anyway

So all groups, including those from the Big 3 have some sort of talent

• this is so wrong :pepenomad:

which big 3 group has actually flopped? I mean kpop fans always throw the word "flop" randomly out of nowhere. But let's be honest, have big 3 groups ever failed so hard that they had to disband before having a comeback after debut?

I'm not calling them flops just saying they're not as successful? Most of these groups are 1st and 2nd gen tho

• Just from SM: Milk, Sugar, Blackbeat, the grace, fly to the sky, Shinvi, Isak n jiyeon, traxx

And older groups such as the blue, tin tin five, major and j&j

when they hit lottery with one group and it became super successful following groups are all somewhat successful

bringing old groups are irrelevant cause at that time big 3 wasn't big like today's

• I think company have deserved the privilege, especially if their producers stay the same. If same producer have released hit songs before, they may do it in future as well.

Privilege is to get lot attention and hype during debut, while in small company nobody even bother checking your music. For Dreamcatcher, it took years get to the point they are now.

• I'm not calling them flops just saying they're not as successful? Most of these groups are 1st and 2nd gen tho

I mean the big 3 privilege started having real effects since 3rd gen. Back in 1st & 2nd gen, even groups from medium level kpop companies were able to become top acts. That's not the case anymore!

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

• well i always see people mention big3 privilege when someone else is saying that aespa will be /is already a top 4th gen group - how can you say that? they've just debuted and released one song., right? we all know they're gonna be one of the most successful groups because they're from sm, that's it

• I understand that point but for some if not all groups their achievements really are their own hard work

Ofc all idols work hard but big3 groups often get invited to big shows and offered brand deals as fast as they debut. Idols from smaller agencies can work as hard as possible but still get nowhere because they’re under a broke nugu agency nobody pays attention to. The industry is incredibly unfair. Doesn’t mean it’s bad to support groups from big agencies and many of them are super talented and hardworking but it’s important to acknowledge that the injustice exist, to not lose perspective of reality.

• this is so wrong :pepenomad:

Well GLAM failed pretty bad if you include HYBE in the Big 3

For SM I'd say The Grace never did well, nor their sub unit

YG has always done fairly well,

JYP - The Wonder Girls weren't a flop but they definitely weren't super popular, and 2PM and 2AM weren't that popular either

• Ofc all idols work hard but big3 groups often get invited to big shows and offered brand deals as fast as they debut. Idols from smaller agencies can work as hard as possible but still get nowhere because they’re under a broke nugu agency nobody pays attention to. The industry is incredibly unfair. Doesn’t mean it’s bad to support groups from big agencies and many of them are super talented and hardworking but it’s important to acknowledge that the injustice exist, to not lose perspective of reality.

Yea I know this all to well I used to Stan KARA SISTAR and Vixx and back when I was an edgy teen I used to get mad at SM groups for being so popular and would say stuff like KARA and SISTAR deserve more success than SNSD and 2ne1 or say Vixx is better than EXO

( I soon became a sone after that cringy phase and regret that so much) the way I see it some people are bitter a lot and use the privilege thing as a cope and way to shade big company groups .

I used to when I was a lot younger but I didn't know at the time I was basically saying SM and YG had big 3 privilege.

• well i always see people mention big3 privilege when someone else is saying that aespa will be /is already a top 4th gen group - how can you say that? they've just debuted and released one song., right? we all know they're gonna be one of the most successful groups because they're from sm, that's it

exactly.. many groups debuted last year with an album or they have already have had a comeback.. does everyone talk about those groups who are from smaller companies? they don't.. heck even people are anticipating new gg debuts from yg and hybe when people don't even know the group name or the members. these upcoming debuts are making more noise in the kpop fandoms rather than already debuted groups from smaller companies..

• honestly when i was living in my kpop bubble, i’d get mad at big3 groups because they didn’t have to struggle the way other groups did just to get a fickle of fame... but i was ignorant back then and didn’t know better.

the other day, i finally watched the blackpink documentary on youtube and honestly the way they trained for 4-6 years, repeating the same cycle over and over again and being so uncertain of their position in the official lineup... it’s so scary to be a teenager and not knowing whether anything good will come out of the sacrifices you’re making. heck, i still struggle with going to the grocery store without my mom and i just turned twenty... the bigger the company is, the more trainees they have. so the groups who debuted from the big3, have idols who fought tooth and nail with hundreds of other trainees to debut. so this privilege talk bothers me now because they slaved away most of their youth and their hard work paid off. so what if they have some kind of recognition before hand? think of it as this: the kids who get into ivy leagues work hard to get accepted. when they graduate, it’s easier for them to make it big in their career because of their degree. that doesn’t mean they aren’t deserving of their position.

so stop with this privilege bullshit.

• This topic will never have a single conclusion. For and Against- both are right.

But I will not be a jerk to feel bad that a BIG3 group is getting priveleges and call them out. Their company have money and also have the right to spend it on them. It's not like they didn't work their ass of to debut.

Also I will not be a hypocrite to laugh at a group's talent who is from a nugu company and compare them.

• The Wonder Girls weren't a flop but they definitely weren't super popular, and 2PM and 2AM weren't that popular either

Wonder girls were the biggest gg in 2nd gen before snsd. They were super popular. 3 of their biggest hits spent more than 15+ weeks on melon top10. Songs by them r still covered by young girl groups.

2pm also had big hits in Korea and also popular members. 2am also had big hits. All were popular.

★¸.•☆•.¸★ 𝐉𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐎 ★⡀.•☆•.★

e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv 38f275b68632fbb8a30ab7a0fce5512059a80556.gifv2aa8ee22f2804d638330929636b03d1a3375e4f7.gifv61eb8841d60cd80c1298efc34ab05d6279af9b9a.gifv2aa8ee22f2804d638330929636b03d1a3375e4f7.gifv4d43f06e62bc91bae199a1e0752740ea19fda0f9.gifv e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv

• exactly.. many groups debuted last year with an album or they have already have had a comeback.. does everyone talk about those groups who are from smaller companies? they don't.. heck even people are anticipating new gg debuts from yg and hybe when people don't even know the group name or the members. these upcoming debuts are making more noise in the kpop fandoms rather than already debuted groups from smaller companies..

To be fair that's with everything popular like if Sony was to announce a ps6 today it would be viral but some unknown game company could be coming out with a new game system and it would be some buzz but not much

• Can someone from the Big3 give a bit of privilege to Purple Kiss? :pepefrog:

Big 3 + Hybe groups have a lot of initial exposure. Other groups will never reach the same debut numbers. But that doesn't make them any better nor any worse. It's just because some people care more about success and numbers than anything else.

• It is so stupid to degrade Big 3 & HYBE idol's hardwork for sure, actually this is so pathetic

they work hard to keep up with the high standard and pressured to continue their senior's legacy

but surely they have more hype and pretty much their success is guaranteed

for groups from small & nugu companies they have to stand out from pool of hundreds of groups esp in this oversaturated industry, even though one stands out they still have to keep people's attention

• Well GLAM failed pretty bad if you include HYBE in the Big 3

For SM I'd say The Grace never did well, nor their sub unit

YG has always done fairly well,

JYP - The Wonder Girls weren't a flop but they definitely weren't super popular, and 2PM and 2AM weren't that popular either

you can't really count groups that debuted before BTS. BigHit was a nugu company before BTS success.

Grace debuted around the same time as Super Junior, the group which established SM's position in big 3 along with SNSD. So the big 3 privilege only started have an effect on the SM groups who debuted after SJ & SNSD.

Wonder Girls, 2PM and 2AM were way popular than most middle tier & nugu company 2nd gen groups.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

• honestly when i was living in my kpop bubble, i’d get mad at big3 groups because they didn’t have to struggle the way other groups did just to get a fickle of fame... but i was ignorant back then and didn’t know better.

the other day, i finally watched the blackpink documentary on youtube and honestly the way they trained for 4-6 years, repeating the same cycle over and over again and being so uncertain of their position in the official lineup... it’s so scary to be a teenager and not knowing whether anything good will come out of the sacrifices you’re making. heck, i still struggle with going to the grocery store without my mom and i just turned twenty... the bigger the company is, the more trainees they have. so the groups who debuted from the big3, have idols who fought tooth and nail with hundreds of other trainees to debut. so this privilege talk bothers me now because they slaved away most of their youth and their hard work paid off. so what if they have some kind of recognition before hand? think of it as this: the kids who get into ivy leagues work hard to get accepted. when they graduate, it’s easier for them to make it big in their career because of their degree. that doesn’t mean they aren’t deserving of their position.

so stop with this privilege bullshit.

Omg did you read my post?? I said same thing as you but I was salty towards SNSD then became a sone after watching their training clips on yt and hearing them crying about being called a dance group with no singers ahhh I was also ignorant back then.

• I miss sistar :pepe-sad::pepe-sad:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

:peperain:

Don't we all

:crys::crys::crys::crys::crys:

• Omg did you read my post?? I said same thing as you but I was salty towards SNSD then became a sone after watching their training clips on yt and hearing them crying about being called a dance group with no singers ahhh I was also ignorant back then.

lmaooo sorry i just skimmed through it :pepeflushed:

but we both have the same thoughts so that’s crazy

• To be fair that's with everything popular like if Sony was to announce a ps6 today it would be viral but some unknown game company could be coming out with a new game system and it would be some buzz but not much

yupp and that's not necessarily a bad thing.. becuz they have established the trust in their consumers that anything they produce would have a good quality.. the members from big3 groups are of course talented otherwise they wouldn't have debuted.. but then again we shouldn't deny the connections these big companies have and the amount of promotions they can provide.

• Also I'm only including HYBE Post BTS superstardom so i don't count Glam but now their new groups no doubt will get buzz and also I'm bringing this up because I was literally shamed and guilt tripped by people on YouTube because I said I liked aespa and itzy the most and then I was called success Stan and told how other 4th gen GGs are more talented it was super annoying cause all groups work hard but I'm being shames and told aespa and Itzy got big 3 privilege..

• The Big3 privilege shouldn't be used as a drag but... it adds contexts. I don't kbow why people cannot mention it under certain circumstances

I have seen stans from BIG3 groups say something like: my faves achieved x record in less than a year whilst your faves didn't get it until they were 3-4 years old.

Like... no shit Sherlock 😒

⟭⟬ ARTIST OF THE YEAR ⟭⟬

AWARDS-AMERICAN-MUSIC--97_1637613102609_1637613116956.JPG

• This thread contains 26 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!