Will Film Out be the first Japanese language song to chart on US Billboard Hot 100 since 1963?

• Assuming this happens next week, the implications of this are immense for BTS in Japan, it would be truly historic and if Japanese media covers this it would cause significant positive buzz for BTS in Japan.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Anyone knows of any other Japanese language song apart from Sukiyaki that has charted on BB Hot 100?

Also is there any artist who has charted songs in 3 different languages on BB Hot 100?

• The two songs mentioned apart from Sukiyaki are supposedly in English language so Film Out could be the first in Japanese since 1963

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Utada Hikaru and Pikotaro charted at #98 and #77 but they are both English songs. So Film Out will be the first Japanese language song to chart this century.

My dumbass didn't realize who Pikotaro is and what song it was until I looked it up earlier today. :pepe-joy:

It's the Pineapple Pen song. Of course it's not in Japanese.

External Content www.youtube.com

Are you a new baby ARMY? Want to meet fellow ARMYs? >Click here!<
    ezgif.com-gif-maker_3.gif

• 'Face My Fears' has both Japanese and English versions. It's the opening theme of Kingdom Hearts III.

Yeah both versions added together, so that means Film Out will be the only pure Japanese song since Sukiyaki in 1963 to chart on BB Hot 100 unless someone knows some other song.

• this will be massive. can't imagine the additional japanese press coverage and support. :borahae:

lol They are a Korean group, do you think they will receive massive support from the Japanese press? Do you know how Japan and Korea get along?

• Yeah we will know when it charts and how Japanese nedia covers it, if at all. The impact on the song can be easily gauged.

The song may be successful, but the average Japanese will not be happy if their language is transmitted by a Korean group, for example, it is as if an English band released a famous song in French, the French would not be amused

• The song may be successful, but the average Japanese will not be happy if their language is transmitted by a Korean group, for example, it is as if an English band released a famous song in French, the French would not be amused

Are you Japanese, genuinely curious?

Nationalism is prevalent everywhere but I doubt BTS' audience anywhere, bar Korea, is right wing nationalists.

• lol They are a Korean group, do you think they will receive massive support from the Japanese press? Do you know how Japan and Korea get along?

Japan has practically adopted BTS at this point. Japan press talks about their Grammy nomination more than Kmedia does and considers BTS a pride for Asians. BTS has also given more on-air interviews to Japanese media about the Grammy nom than they have given Kmedia. If you follow any Japanese coverage you'd know how insanely big they blew up in Japan this year.

• The song may be successful, but the average Japanese will not be happy if their language is transmitted by a Korean group, for example, it is as if an English band released a famous song in French, the French would not be amused

No it's not. You are clearly not knowledgeable about the relationships in the region. Back Number fans are one of the biggest supporters of Film Out and they are excited by BTS helping to spread Japanese music. You should watch some Japanese morning news clips on twitter if you want to get a sense of the reception in Japan.

• Japan has practically adopted BTS at this point. Japan press talks about their Grammy nomination more than Kmedia does and considers BTS a pride for Asians. BTS has also given more on-air interviews to Japanese media about the Grammy nom than they have given Kmedia. If you follow any Japanese coverage you'd know how insanely big they blew up in Japan this year.

the Japanese press talks about many artists.

and it will be an irrelevant achievement, because they are not Japanese

• Facepalm. Back Number has songwriting credits on this. This is EXACTLY WHY the Japanese cares more about it than any other previous releases.

People will know the song by BTS, not by backnumber, I repeat I don't see why the Japanese are going to feel proud of a Korean group ok, they are not smap or arashi, there is no reason to feel pride

• People will know the song by BTS, not by backnumber, I repeat I don't see why the Japanese are going to feel proud of a Korean group ok, they are not smap or arashi, there is no reason to feel pride

What are you talking about? It's marketed as a BTS x Back Number collab in Japan EVERYWHERE. Everyone knows Back Number and everyone knows what their contribution to the song is as the big Jrock band they are. You really need to stop mansplaining a topic you clearly don't know anything about. You don't even know how to write Back Number's name correctly. It's getting embarrassing.

:pepe-clown-gear:

• What are you talking about? It's marketed as a BTS x Back Number collab in Japan EVERYWHERE. Everyone knows Back Number and everyone knows what their contribution to the song is as the big Jrock band they are. You really need to stop mansplaining a topic you clearly don't know anything about. You don't even know how to write Back Number's name correctly. It's getting embarrassing.

:pepe-clown-gear:

I mean outside of Japan, dumb, the song in others countries will be known by BTS

• People will know the song by BTS, not by backnumber, I repeat I don't see why the Japanese are going to feel proud of a Korean group ok, they are not smap or arashi, there is no reason to feel pride

Seriously though, are you Japanese cause the authoritativeness with which you speak about Japanese people and how they feel, makes me wonder?

• it's a korean group, they are not arashi

Huh, yes we all know it is a Korean group and not Arashi. No one said BTS is going to transplant Arashi in the hearts of the Japanese people :S

We are simply talking about how this would create positive buzz and help BTS in Japan.

• lol They are a Korean group, do you think they will receive massive support from the Japanese press? Do you know how Japan and Korea get along?

You clearly don’t know what you are talking about. J media treats BTS even better than than k media due to recent achievements. Tje GP has also fallen for BTS. They are seen as the best Asian representatives in the west by the Japanese. This news will only cement that.

• So the “expert” on Japan and Japanese pop culture in this thread turned out to not be Japanese after all LMAOOOOOOO!

Dynamite has been covered and played in schools and on TV over there, covered by J-idols and J-rock bands too and still hasn’t left the Top 8 of their Hot 100 chart. Japan went from being in the Top 5-10 of BTS’ most viewed countries on YouTube to Top 1-2 after that song. It’s time to give it up, weebs, and admit that they’ve extended their reach beyond their fandom there at this point. :pepe-tea:

• Whether Japanese be proud or not, BTS is still accomplishing what had never been achieved... charting songs in 3 languages on BB100 ( if ever Film out manages to get BB Top 100)

realistically, what are our chances? I need myaza with them numbers :))

we didn't get Your Eyes Tell or Stay Gold to chart, but Film Out seems to be getting a lot more support from the fanbases, there was a lot of push to stream and buy within the right timeframe...i do hope we can get it on the charts :pepe-hype:

• realistically, what are our chances? I need myaza with them numbers :))

we didn't get Your Eyes Tell or Stay Gold to chart, but Film Out seems to be getting a lot more support from the fanbases, there was a lot of push to stream and buy within the right timeframe...i do hope we can get it on the charts :pepe-hype:

Its predicted at #80 currently!

• Its predicted at #80 currently!

:froghype::froghype::froghype:

• This thread contains 7 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!