Do companies have strategies to transition fans from one group to another? [fans from big fandoms the q for u]

• I’m sure companies would like to keep the fans in the family..

My question for you did you you feel there is something the company did to ensure you Stan the next group, be it bad like ageing the group visually ( I’m not ganna say who) or things to make the fans lose interest.. or maybe good like having more content with each other among other things....

Sooo

Armys do you stan txt en- ?

Onces did you stan the company younger groups?

Exols same q esp do you Stan nct?

Blinks I notice more blinks here stan treasure than on twt..

Do you pay attention and spend money on them equally??

Your average ggs enthusiast...

• Maybe in the past, but tbh I really don't think so since Kpop is aimed at primarily younger audiences, certainly the majority buyer element in Korea/Japan/China where these companies mainly target and by the time an older groups life cycle is coming to a close most of the fans are already kind of aging out of Kpop so they are kind of a dead market to companies for newer groups.

I think this is why we see changing styles and concepts for new groups sometimes rather than sticking to what the fans of the older group liked.

• Hi before this goes any further pls be nice yall :) just a reminder, answer op respectfully and dont be shady and weird towards the younger groups thx

Yup.. I’m just interested in it from a business point of view, like I’m sure jyp won’t want a fandom like once go on to stan Aespa or stayc, they want to keep them in

• i stan txt and en-, niziu and itzy and stray kids, nct and aespa and i also stan treasure but idk it might be different

i find i actually like the newer groups more than the older, maybe cos i'm also in a younger age group but yeah ig

I know it's real, I can feel it

• I casually like TXT, but only because I like their discography. I don't consider myself a MOA. Still, I think TXT is the only BH group that really beneficiated from their affiliation with BTS, at least at the beginning ( they also suffered from it, as they got a ton of shit from stans from other group, just because they were BTS's 'little brothers' ).

But by now, I'm certain that most MOA don't stan BTS. They might casually like it, but they are their own fandom.

Is there a strategy from BH ? I don't know. BTS is still rising, so I don't think they are worried about transitionning their fans toward another group. They try this whole 'BH family', with the end year concert ( which the ticket sales numbers haven't been released, so it probably wasn't a smashing success ) or the Dynamite lyp-sinc. It's a bit cringe, and I'm not sure how effective it is, lol.

• I think the only thing the company does is to promote the younger group to the senior group fandom, but that doesn't necessarily make the older fandom stan the younger group. They could just become casual listener to them

• I think companies hope for the best and hope they have company stans, but most people that stan groups usually hate the company. I started off opposite, I officially became an aespa stan first, I knew about SNSD/EXO/ RV/ NCT and liked their songs but I mostly only followed BP. Only after Stanning aespa I realised majority of SM groups have the same foundation and sauce in all their groups, so I decided to stan the rest officially, I still dislike SM though, they're so shady <X I stan txt and enhypen, but not BTS. Nothing on the boys, I just never got into them. And I'm really excited for Ygngg and Sm nbg I guess because of the company they're coming from, so it kind of does play a part

:whatr:

I just want some aespa and smnbg and treasure and ygngg interactions :pepe-comfy:

aespadaily | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgirningning gif | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgiraespadaily | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgirningning gif | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

æ- "𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕚𝕤 𝔼𝕧𝕠, 𝔼𝕧𝕠𝕝𝕦𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟" -𝕒𝕖𝕤𝕡𝕒 -æ

• Interesting thread..

I think companies do to some extent. Like many younger groups cover their senior groups' songs and that can possibly grab the attention of the senior groups' fans. Companies can be in control of that especially if they're scheduling their younger groups to perform songs from their seniors. Some younger groups such as Aespa may give shoutouts to members of their senior group... like I think Winter gave a shoutout to Baekhyun on a radio show. This can draw attention from Exo-L's and some of them may stan Aespa.

• Companies certainly do.

Bigger companies have a "family" image where all the groups are considered under 1 umbrella so it builds familiarity eg a lot SM groups existing fans may check out newer SM groups groups. This course to signing like brand loyalty

Sometimes companies will set up cross collabs between senior and rookie groups to help strengthen the above image (eg TVXQ promoted SNSD with things like adverts early on then SNSD went on promote Fx, Shinee, Exo, RV etc with collabs and stuff).

• I was a casual fan of BP before but my first and only group that I stan is Treasure. I've never seen other 4th gen groups who was slandered so much by their senior pre debut until now. So, in Treasure's case, nope. Goodluck to Baby monsters, I know they'll encounter hell for some time.

• I was a casual fan of BP before but my first and only group that I stan is Treasure. I've never seen other 4th gen groups who was slandered so much by their senior pre debut until now. So, in Treasure's case, nope.

Lmao true I wasn’t gonna add them. But here it seems like a lot of blinks like treasure

• Maybe we can get some inference about this type of strategy from any big company's investment conference. At very least they work on their brand name, so their new group are part of the brand and quality associated with it. People will have some expectations and ideas of what they gonna get from their future artists.

Not sure about medium and small companies. You see senior groups supporting their junior groups or giving some shout outs to affiliated artists which is normal and expected.

For me, I just judge each group on their own. Of course I will check the new groups, but not at expense or because of the senior groups I like. Anyway, I'm less loyal to a company/brand and I like lot of groups from different reasons, so this type of marketing ploy don't quite work for individuals like me I guess.

• I feel like business-wise ~ 100 %

But in the reality of the fans, ~ it is split

50% of fans would stan or show interest in a new group because they are the "little brother" or "little sister" group to their faves. Thus, they might lose interest in the new group and only see them for being the youngster group of their faves, or they will continue to have a strong passion for the group.

The other 50% would most likely show interest in the group because of various reasons, whether it be visuals, past shown talent, etc.

work in progress

• Im sure companies would love to create company stans who will support each successive generation.

In reality though, they dont have to do it. As older groups eventually disband and take their fans with them, there is always a new crop of kids entering middle/high/college to market the next generation of groups to.

I will say that TXT is the most fortunate group for sure when it comes to BH stans. I dont know a single Army that resents/dislikes/hates TXT. Not a single one. OTOH, you can definitely find plenty of EXOLs that resent NCT, Blinks that resent Treasure, Sones that resented RV, Blackjacks that hated BP, etc.

• i stan txt and bts, im also a casual skz and niziu stan (became really attached to niziu after watching nizi project lmao) but i dont stan automatically because of that specific company. however im not equal in spending and paying attention to them because i like other groups more. i personally spend my money on bts and twice because their my ults and i like them more. i dont hate txt or skz or anything.

anyways companies probably want fans of older groups to stan newer groups because more money for the group. howeer the company probably wont make them alike to attract new fans (ex, twice is known for their cute, love songs type of concept while itzy is known for teen crush and loving yourself)

• Im sure companies would love to create company stans who will support each successive generation.

In reality though, they dont have to do it. As older groups eventually disband and take their fans with them, there is always a new crop of kids entering middle/high/college to market the next generation of groups to.

I will say that TXT is the most fortunate group for sure when it comes to BH stans. I dont know a single Army that resents/dislikes/hates TXT. Not a single one. OTOH, you can definitely find plenty of EXOLs that resent NCT, Blinks that resent Treasure, Sones that resented RV, Blackjacks that hated BP, etc.

I agree...

I think it would be interesting to see how yg will market ygngg and if they’ll have any association with bp... bp has a big fandom with a good Chunk being new to kpop (and young in age). Would be a waste to let that go

• the blinks that stan treasure are a minority many blinks don't if anything blinks might stan other girl groups. I notice that blinks prefer to stan other girl groups like itzy, rv or even aespa

Yeah I just added them bc I’ve seen some blinks here also have the treasure badge so wanted to hear their opinion... would be interesting to see how the fandom react to ygngg tho

• Yeah I just added them bc I’ve seen some blinks here also have the treasure badge so wanted to hear their opinion... would be interesting to see how the fandom react to ygngg tho

but you have to keep in mind that some of them are YG stans (not necessarily blinks) or casual fans. I'm a casual fan myself but I wouldn't call myself a teume.

majority of blinks are girl group stans though unless we include armysblinks that's an exception lol

• Well, in the case of 2NE1 and BP it was very obvious, and It kind of worked on me. But it did not really worked with Sistar and Cosmic Girls (WJSN) where I did not even knew they was from the same company.

I don't think they think so much on "transfering" fans from one group to an other, but more looking at current trends and what kind of niche they can fill. The switch from 2NE1 to BP was obvious because of the success of 2NE1 and YG knew how to do that kind of concept and it was still few other groups with similar concept.

But if you look at SME and Girls' Generation, it's a bit suprising they have not replaced GG with a new muliti member group, but I guess Twice is blocking that niche right now. GG/Aespa is different so it's a bit hard to see a strategy there of transfering fans, but at same time. Most of the GG fans have probably left kpop already and that is true for many older groups.

• I don’t know if BigHit is trying but it ain’t working. There’s still a vast difference between BTS and the rest of their groups. That gives a clue that most armys aren’t company stans. But that’s cool. Txt has been able to form their own unique fanbase and don’t have to depend on their senior’s which I think is far better

BigHit also still supports BTS and doesn’t try to downplay them so I am gonna believe that they aren’t trying to sabotage the group to siphon their fans somewhere else

• I don’t know if BigHit is trying but it ain’t working. There’s still a vast difference between BTS and the rest of their groups. That gives a clue that most armys aren’t company stans. But that’s cool. Txt has been able to form their own unique fanbase and don’t have to depend on their senior’s which I think is far better

BigHit also still supports BTS and doesn’t try to downplay them so I am gonna believe that they aren’t trying to sabotage the group to siphon their fans somewhere else

I honestly think a big part of ARMY aren't even kpop stans. Their kpop adventure started and will end with BTS, which might explain why BH is failing at this whole idea of 'BH family'.

I remember that some ARMY were actually wary of TXT, when the group was announced, thinking that BH was trying to 'replace' BTS, or that they would be neglected. But they really made TXT as different as possible from BTS ( heavy weight of the rap VS almost all-vocals group for example ) and it eventually worked out ok, and most ARMY will either leave TXT alone, or casually support them.

• i stan txt and the reason is not bts, it's runway performance and runaway japanese version. Txt did had initial hype because of bts , but BH really tried to seperate both groups alot. And now txt is making their fandom.

May I never noticed, but I didn't really seeing BH pushing the family agenda, for some ppl the new year concert and that play ground might be considered as family agenda.

Also another reason why army doesnt really have negative feelings towards txt is that BH didn't neglect bts, they are doing good promotions for both groups, they don't promote txt in the face of army and txt has really good music and are crazy good performers.

• I honestly think a big part of ARMY aren't even kpop stans. Their kpop adventure started and will end with BTS, which might explain why BH is failing at this whole idea of 'BH family'.

I remember that some ARMY were actually wary of TXT, when the group was announced, thinking that BH was trying to 'replace' BTS, or that they would be neglected. But they really made TXT as different as possible from BTS ( heavy weight of the rap VS almost all-vocals group for example ) and it eventually worked out ok, and most ARMY will either leave TXT alone, or casually support them.

I won’t be jumping to conclusions. That’s what many thought when BigHit went on ipo and a lot of people resold their stocks because they all thought their income is too much placed in one basket.

But what happened? From a business standpoint I admire that they are thinking ahead to diversify their income.They have made investments no one saw coming. The company knows what they are doing.

And looking at how things are going so far, kpop will soon be a minor part of the company’s platform. BTS is an anomaly and I’m sure BigHit knows they won’t be able to ever create a group like that again so they are looking at things outside the box.

Whiles BTS is active and making money for them, they’ll try to invest it in assets, which is way better than using the money to try and create another BTS.

• This. HYBE isnt really positioned as a kpop company. They have more western artists now than kpop artists. You could call them a country music company based on who is under them.

In that sense I dont think we will see many attempts at "family" anymore. They are too diversified geographyically, with Korean artists, western artists, upcoming Japanese artists etc. And a significant amount of the business is not even directly music related.

• I dont stan any BH or HYBE artists other than BTS. I like some of TXT music and MVs, but I dont support them in any significant way, which I consider a definition of "stanning". I do like them more than most kpop artists, because theyre good respectful kids towards BTS.

I dont think BH has tried to make armys stan TXT really. Theres not a lot of cross-promotion, except that one family concert thing. ArmyMOA's promote TXT to armys more than BH. TXT has a very different image and music, so it would be hard to call them some attempt to transition armys to a new group. There are few much more transparent attempts at converting armys by other companies.

I also think people should differentiate between fans of senior groups having positive feelings about younger groups vs actually supporting them. Liking them or defending them online does not equal actual paying, streaming, concert going fans. Armys are generally friendly towards TXT, because they boys are unproblematic and because we have no beef with their fandom, since MOAs are one of the few fandoms that are nice to armys. This clearly doesnt translate to any significant portion of armys actually buying albums or streaming.

Edited once, last by myaza ().

• I stan NiziU but that is because I watched the survival show and got attached to the contestants. I don't stan every jyp group like got7 or straykids or itzy. I judge the group on their own & not because they come from a certain company. But I have noticed that the senior groups will promote their juniors on social media platforms and junior group will pay tribute to the senior group by covering their songs/reacting to their songs and such. They also hold joint concerts.

For BigHit, I only like BTS. I am indifferent towards TXT and Enhyphen. If my fave had made to Enhyphen I would stan Enhyphen lol but not because they are from BigHit. It is because I watched the survival show. I am interested in stanning the upcoming girlgroup from BigHit even tho I am not a BH company stan.

• Not really. I only stan TXT.

I dont stan any BH or HYBE artists other than BTS. I like some of TXT music and MVs, but I dont support them in any significant way, which I consider a definition of "stanning". I do like them more than most kpop artists, because theyre good respectful kids towards BTS.

I dont think BH has tried to make armys stan TXT really. Theres not a lot of cross-promotion, except that one family concert thing. ArmyMOA's promote TXT to armys more than BH. TXT has a very different image and music, so it would be hard to call them some attempt to transition armys to a new group. There are few much more transparent attempts at converting armys by other companies.

I also think people should differentiate between fans of senior groups having positive feelings about younger groups vs actually supporting them. Liking them or defending them online does not equal actual paying, streaming, concert going fans. Armys are generally friendly towards TXT, because they boys are unproblematic and because we have no beef with their fandom, since MOAs are one of the few fandoms that are nice to armys. This clearly doesnt translate to any significant portion of armys actually buying albums or streaming.

This. Well said :thumbup:

• I’m an army and when the news came out that txt will debut I was looking forward to it. Then they debut song just wasn’t my taste, so I continued as before. I wasn’t interested in them until I heard Can’t you see me?. That song just grabbed my attention. Not because the company or being BTS “little brothers” but because the song was amazing. I listened they discography and the debut ep still not my fav but from TDC:Magic I started to find songs I liked (20cm, angel or devil). While I like almost every BTS song TxT still have some song what not my taste but I do like they voice and songs, bought the albums.

• This thread contains 14 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!