Netizens announce boycott of JTBC drama 'Snow Drop'

• Netizens announce boycott of JTBC drama 'Snow Drop'

jisoobp1.JPG

Article: "Looks like I'll be boycotting Jisoo's drama"

Source: Pann

Jisoo isn't the only one being criticized. JTBC, wake up! There's no future for people who forget history.

Jisoo and Hae-in are very popular so this drama will circulate abroad. What are foreigners going to think of our Democratic Movement? Why would you do this in a drama? Having North Koreans as a backdrop of a pro-democracy uprising was not right in the first place. Are you having fun nowㅋ?

jtbc2.JPG

comment1.JPG

1. [+678, -8] Jisoo isn't the only one we're cursing but everyone involved
    2. [+638, -18] It's seriously crazy. Kids that don't understand what's going on should just look up the current state of Myanmar on Google then come back. We went through the same situation too. We can't forgive everything that's going just because it's Jisoo or Hae-in
    3. [+294, -3] Blackpink fans should stop complaining to the company sending emails, trucks or whatever. It's not just one thing with YG, first it was drugs, then Burning Sun...what about their other artists? Even if you don't agree with this it's not just Jisoo or Blackpink being hit but the entire drama production team.
    4. [+280, -2] You all know that China's least favorite thing is democracy right?
    5. [+258, -1 Honestly its highly suspicious that a Chinese company invested in this. Would Communist China directly invest in something like this knowing its based on the Democratic movement? It's suspicious that Seol gang-hwa is not even in the Korean dictionary but you can find it on the Chinese dictionary..
    6. [+250, -2] A Chinese company invested 100 billion won in JTBC studios. Why would China invest that much in a pro-democracy drama ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ 딱? It's because they're planning to distort the history of our Democratic Movement by saying they were spies themselves.
    7. [+200, -33] All of Shin Hye Sun's sponsors have dropped her already. Even if they all get hit, it's better to cut it off now before it's too late. If Jisoo goes down, she won't be going down alone. She'll be taking Blackpink down with her too.
    8. [+108, -1] Blackpink fans need to realize the reason Jisoo is getting hate is because she's the face of the drama. She's the most famous one and has strong influence on the drama..
    9. [+81, -2] The company that invested 100 billion won in jtbc is a Chinese company..
  • i have to agree with what they’re saying about how the whole drama is getting rallied against, not specifically just jisoo. it’s a delicate political situation and not about entertainment or scandals or refutations. it is very sketchy what’s going on with the chinese “approval” of the drama combined with wanting history to be portrayed accurately.

i hope yg does whatever necessary to protect jisoo, without causing any more disrespect. i never trust yg to do anything right but hopefully they realize this is serious. they’re right, this could affect all of blackpink. more koreans will be mad about this possible situation than there are koreans who listen to or pay attention to kpop. this is bigger than jisoo or kpop or whatever.

• But where is the article that says a Chinese company invested in it?

Cuz the only dramas i know and was reported as being Chinese invested was Mr. Queen and JD.

Have there been articles from Naver about a Chinese investment in Snowdrop?

• I feel sorry for Jisoo man. This is her first drama :( But the knets are right tho...blinks who dont know much about the situation shouldn't butt in. If someone was doing a comedy alongside BLM in the US or Farmers March in India. It will hurt a lot of people cuz its a serious issue they have fought for.

I feel sorry for Jisoo but I really hope blinks don't overreact/invalidate knets and make things more worse for Jisoo. It must be a difficult time for her aswell. The whole show is getting rallied against but Jisoo is always in the headlines of such negative news.

Desbundar

• Here's the deal: A LOT of foreigners don't care about your democratic movement or any portrayals of such movements.

Just like how viewers from other countries don't care about ours and just see any entertainment medium based on such histories as just that: Entertainment.

Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIF - Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIFs          JenniesBTCH on Twitter:       Yena and capybara - 9GAG

• i have to agree with what they’re saying about how the whole drama is getting rallied against, not specifically just jisoo. it’s a delicate political situation and not about entertainment or scandals or refutations. it is very sketchy what’s going on with the chinese “approval” of the drama combined with wanting history to be portrayed accurately.

i hope yg does whatever necessary to protect jisoo, without causing any more disrespect. i never trust yg to do anything right but hopefully they realize this is serious. they’re right, this could affect all of blackpink. more koreans will be mad about this possible situation than there are koreans who listen to or pay attention to kpop. this is bigger than jisoo or kpop or whatever.

I doubt this will effect blackpink like that. Some Korean might not support them anymore but blackpink has a big fanbase so they will be fine

• i get that knetz are very concern for historical accuracy but to lash out on Jisoo, a rookie actress on her first ever legit acting role, is crazy to me. the production and the established writers are the ones to blame, the actors are the weakest links here, by now even if Jisoo ( or yg) wants out she can't

making hoes mad since 08/08/16

3175f4d464a227e84b6a0463e8194404948ba78c.gifv8b8ed9eef67ab3d2d26886eee06233abc36cecc6.gifvf69f953d0c4d91580dd79ca5470e4623b26e0a37.gifv68bdac55d9b9e7113c26c1765d677dcb2b7956f5.gifv

Cuz the only dramas i know and was reported as being Chinese invested was Mr. Queen and JD.

In December, JTBC sold 100B won worth of convertible preferred shares to Tencent which works out to 7.2% ownership in the company.

• In December, JTBC sold 100B won worth of convertible preferred shares to Tencent which works out to 7.2% ownership in the company.

So does it mean that any drama coming from JTBC now, knetz will be scrutinizing it?

Tencent (which has investments all over the world) invested in JTBC, not Snowdrop specifically. The investment was at the end of December, well after the Snowdrop script had been written, the actors had been cast, and the drama had already begun filming.

Snowdrop's production team has also announced that unlike JE and other dramas like Vincenzo which was criticized for Chinese product placement, Snowdrop will have no PPL

But netizens still seem convinced China is trying to intervene in Korean democracy through an unaired drama program I see

• We all know blackpink is to big for that.

you really overestimate how much koreans care about kpop

our history is the most important thing to us, along with our language. the entire nation will be pissed if this drama portrays our history in a way that is untrue or disrespectful. no one is too big to be blacklisted by their government and seen as a traitor by the nation. this situation is delicate and yg needs to tread lightly for jisoo’s sake.

and to be frank, i find it disrespectful for you to act like any kpop idol is “famous” enough to be unaffected by something like this. our country doesn’t revolve around kpop. not even big famous idols like jisoo. blackpink is not more important to our country than our history. period. get out of your head.

• We all know blackpink is to big for that.

in Korea they're not, they have a small fandom compared to similar top groups but they have the full support of the gp if they lose that due to this situation they'll suffer a great loss. yg needs to step up and protect Jisoo and the girls asap

making hoes mad since 08/08/16

3175f4d464a227e84b6a0463e8194404948ba78c.gifv8b8ed9eef67ab3d2d26886eee06233abc36cecc6.gifvf69f953d0c4d91580dd79ca5470e4623b26e0a37.gifv68bdac55d9b9e7113c26c1765d677dcb2b7956f5.gifv

• Why everytime BLACKPINK members get hate is about things they don't have control over?

It's because they're out in the open, easy targets, and it's not the faces of these executives that make the kinds of decisions that lead to backlash like this.

Smart fans know the real deal but I can take a guess that most people who are lashing out over this "controversy" aren't even fans of Blackpink or any K Pop for that matter.

Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIF - Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIFs          JenniesBTCH on Twitter:       Yena and capybara - 9GAG

• you really overestimate how much koreans care about kpop

our history is the most important thing to us, along with our language. the entire nation will be pissed if this drama portrays our history in a way that is untrue or disrespectful. no one is too big to be blacklisted by their government and seen as a traitor by the nation. this situation is delicate and yg needs to tread lightly for jisoo’s sake.

and to be frank, i find it disrespectful for you to act like any kpop idol is “famous” enough to be unaffected by something like this. our country doesn’t revolve around kpop. not even big famous idols like jisoo. blackpink is not more important to our country than our history. period. get out of your head.

I didn't say that honey but the fact is blackpick is global act at the end of the day and will be fine cause korea never been the backbone for blackpink

We are just saying knetz do not have the power to ruin bp like they are threatening to do.

The same knetz who swore boycott after the BS scandal.

We never said bp is more important than SK.

• in Korea they're not, they have a small fandom compared to similar top groups but they have the full support of the gp if they lose that due to this situation they'll suffer a great loss. yg needs to step up and protect Jisoo and the girls asap

That why I said globally they'll be fine and we just have wait and see what happen. We know very little about the drama story . If yg release a statement now they will look guilty

Edited once, last by tt1267 ().

• the vast majority of Knetz have said they'll wait for the plot.

There isn't this huge backlash in Korea against Snowdrop like ifans think there is. It's just Netizen Buzz is only translating negative ones.

It's not trending on Naver. A lot of articles that have been written have said that they should wait for the plot.

A post with 2k upvotes from the dumbass fangirls on Nate doesn't represent anything.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• Not these stupid netizens trying to salvage my bias' career over something she wasn't responsible for. They can be mad about the whole historical inaccuracy thing, (I can care less because it's not my history that's being involved here) but to take it out on Jisoo is just ridiculous.. Jisoo didn't direct or write the drama.. She was an actress and had no control over the story or whether there was historical inaccuracies.

I'd say wait until the drama actually starts airing and we'll see what happens..

• Not these stupid netizens trying to salvage my bias' career over something she wasn't responsible for. They can be mad about the whole historical inaccuracy thing, (I can care less because it's not my history that's being involved here) but to take it out on Jisoo is just ridiculous.. Jisoo didn't direct or write the drama.. She was an actress and had no control over the story or whether there was historical inaccuracies.

I'd say wait until the drama actually starts airing and we'll see what happens..

to be fair, they've taken it out on everyone: JTBC, producers, writers, and the cast.

nobody said BP is more important than SK. They're saying, her career won't be ruined because of this because korea is not the backbone of bp's fandom.

• anyways if the plot is really misleading like that, it's either they change the plot or they'll have to cancel it.

if it's NOT misleading as they say then they should go ahead. Idk about other foreign fans but i really am not looking for historical accuracy in a drama, i'm looking for something entertaining. It's a drama not a documentary.

Still, they have a right to be mad if the plot is as bad as they say. Didn't JTBC clear it up?

1. [+108, -1] Blackpink fans need to realize the reason Jisoo is getting hate is because she's the face of the drama. She's the most famous one and has strong influence on the drama..

And yet she didn't write a single word of the script, had no say in the production or creative process, didn't fund or produce this show and doesn't own the studio who did....but she basically gets hate cos she's on the poster? What is attacking the star going to do? She cant make them change it, she cant tell JTBC to rip up their contracts with Chinese company that invested 100bn Won....hating on the two show leads is the dumbest way to protest.

• *EDITED*

Anyway I think JTBC should just cancel it though, just find it funny Joseon Exorcist didn't really receive alot of attention here while SnowDrop is getting so much attention all of a sudden... Just hope they know Jisoo is not responsible for the drama because I am seeing alot of dumb article on other web putting title like ''BLACKPINK JISOO SNOWDROP'' as if she is the producer..

• Official Post

On the one hand, I feel like it's kind of ridiculous to be upset about a fictional TV show. Just because something is written as satire or comedy and set during a serious time, doesn't mean it's automatically bad or trying to brush off or mock that history. I mean you can write a serious story during those times and still be extremely disrespectful toward it or push a false agenda.

But on the other hand, there are a ton of people who think The Crown is a documentary about the British monarchy so.... I get it.

• You claim you are Chinese in the other thread but now you are Korean, so exactly what Nationality are you

Yeah right. Like some people should learn faking a fandom is one thing, n faking nationality is another.

・゚ 🎀 𝐵𝓁𝒶𝒸𝓀𝓅𝒾𝓃𝓀 𝐹❤𝓇𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇 🎀 ゚・

42880fa4ac96298e4b26e69acc7466df9c020cfb.gifv61d9d03079dcca08018fddc7e065366fd5b1cb33.gifvc36d4dbbfdddf670228a3e8d52e5040a4ad6850a.gifvb84a5edbd39d08ccaad6db639e0740f4562821c6.gifv

• It's best to wait for the drama to air, if it turns out like knetz think it will, then okay, cancel it. But right know, it's a he said, she said situation. This a very sensitive topic, I understand that a lot of Kpop fans are young and immature, but please, be considerate, you can't tell Koreans how to feel about their own history, show some respect, and wait this out. Also, don't be so naive to think that your fave can't be hurt by this, Koreans don't give a damn about celebrity, and once they cancel someone, it's pretty much over for them. Fans being rude will only make things worse for the idol aka you're not helping her at all.

• On the one hand, I feel like it's kind of ridiculous to be upset about a fictional TV show. Just because something is written as satire or comedy and set during a serious time, doesn't mean it's automatically bad or trying to brush off or mock that history. I mean you can write a serious story during those times and still be extremely disrespectful toward it or push a false agenda.

But on the other hand, there are a ton of people who think The Crown is a documentary about the British monarchy so.... I get it.

...it's not?

i havent watched it but i always thought it was about the royals lmao

• Official Post

For those who don't know why Koreans are upset about this:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/kpopt…otting_snowdrop_starring/

"This show is about an terrible event that happened in late 1980s in SK, when SK was under dictator based on his military power. This dictator killed hundreds of students who rallied against his dictatorship, and called the students spies from north korea.

This terrible human is still alive (very old but still alive) and has many followers who still believe that these innocent students who just wanted democracy were spies. The show SNOWDROP’s main plot is a young student saving a protester who is actually a secret spy. Sounds familiar? It should be because I just explained above. This is what former president chun du hwan claimed to kill hundreds of innocent students."

"South korea is a country that had multiple dictators, with multiple fraud elections. But with events like June spring, we were able to become country with democracy where every citizens opinion matters. In between, a lot of young innocent lives were taken. And these hard work they put in for our democracy should NEVER be downplayed or be subject of comedy."

Also the official synopsis of the show, people indeed know what its about:

According to the official synopsis, Snowdrop is a love story set in 1987 between ‘Im Soo Ho’ and ‘Eun Young-Cho’.

Im Soo-Ho is a Korean-German student at a prestigious university and barges into a female dorm at Hosoo Woman’s University one day covered in blood.

Eun Young-Cho, a cheerful and lovable student, helps to hide Soo-Ho and dresses his wounds from whoever was chasing him.

However, what Soo-Ho doesn’t realise is that the two have already met at a blind date – where Young-Cho had already fallen in love with him.

aka a romance between a north korean spy and south korean protest. Eun Young-Cho is based off of real woman Chun Young-Cho

1. [+108, -1] Blackpink fans need to realize the reason Jisoo is getting hate is because she's the face of the drama. She's the most famous one and has strong influence on the drama..

And yet she didn't write a single word of the script, had no say in the production or creative process, didn't fund or produce this show and doesn't own the studio who did....but she basically gets hate cos she's on the poster? What is attacking the star going to do? She cant make them change it, she cant tell JTBC to rip up their contracts with Chinese company that invested 100bn Won....hating on the two show leads is the dumbest way to protest.

You're absolutely right though their mindset behind it is going to be such that she read the script, ignored the flaws, and agreed to work on the project.

• Except that official synopsis was not released by JTBC, or posted to Naver or any reputable Korean site. It's from some random English website and the article was written by a white man. The official plot has actually not been released yet, which is what JTBC said in their statement yesterday

• I think JTBC calling it a "black comedy" just worsened the situation a lot. The blue house petition to cancel the show has already reached 86k in 2 days. Joseon Dynasty was cancelled after it reached 150k.

I think the only thing JTBC can do is reveal the plot or have the writer give a personal statement herself since she seems to be pretty liked by Koreans.

• This thread contains 75 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!