What should be filtered??

• When I was in school, I read To Kill A Mockingbird before it was banned in most schools like it is today. My teacher asked a question and I've been thinking about my answer a lot. My teacher asked, "Would you have written the book differently? If so, why would you?" I said I would because I didn't like the racist judgement in the book. I said I would take that part out, or make the book more friendly. At the time, 7 years ago, I thought that was the right answer, but as I've been talking to highschool kids now, I've learned that a lot of them haven't read To Kill A Mockingbird, because it was banned due to the views that I said I would edit out.

But isn't it important for kids today to know the history of America? Unfortunately, the history contains a lot of racist judgment. But isn't it important for the kids to know that?

Do you think things should be taken out of the schools because they are deemed offensive? Is it good to protect the young people from these views or is it bad to shield them from things they will find in the world as soon as they graduate?

• No, I don't think so. I don't think its a good thing to shield young kids from those views because it exists. I would probably have it mandatory for high school. Simply because the book is honest. Thats how it was and how it kinda is today. If we shield kids from that reality then its gonna be a shock if it happens to them. As soon as a kid gets to college the blinders come off and they may not be prepared or ready for what they see, I think school is bad in the way that its a bubble and once that bubble is popped then they are in for a rude awakening. Its the history of America and if you live in America you should know its history, the good and the bad.

• No, I don't think so. I don't think its a good thing to shield young kids from those views because it exists. I would probably have it mandatory for high school. Simply because the book is honest. Thats how it was and how it kinda is today. If we shield kids from that reality then its gonna be a shock if it happens to them. As soon as a kid gets to college the blinders come off and they may not be prepared or ready for what they see, I think school is bad in the way that its a bubble and once that bubble is popped then they are in for a rude awakening. Its the history of America and if you live in America you should know its history, the good and the bad.

I agree, although I'm not that old, mid twenties, I can see the change in the new generation of students when they come across racist things, it's more of a shock. I think it may have to do with the fact that things are banned

• I agree, although I'm not that old, mid twenties, I can see the change in the new generation of students when they come across racist things, it's more of a shock. I think it may have to do with the fact that things are banned

I'm only a teen, so i'm just speaking from what i've seen from my peers. Also I think people these days are just more easily offended, although thats not to say being racist is ok cuz its not but I feel like people take it too much to heart and because things like that have been banned because people really don't wanna offended parents mostly, the school systems bans things like that from the curriculum. And since reading has been beaten down by the school system, kids simply don't wanna go and read it for themselves

• I'm only a teen, so i'm just speaking from what i've seen from my peers. Also I think people these days are just more easily offended, although thats not to say being racist is ok cuz its not but I feel like people take it too much to heart and because things like that have been banned because people really don't wanna offended parents mostly, the school systems bans things like that from the curriculum. And since reading has been beaten down by the school system, kids simply don't wanna go and read it for themselves

True again! Racism is certainly not true and older people get a lot of trash from younger generations for being more layed back about racism, but I do think that this generation of new teenagers (no offence) do get too offended by things. They say racism is getting more previlant and happening more often but I don't think that's true. I think people make a bigger deal out of it now

• I think it's important for us to learn from the past. You know like that saying, "those who don't learn their past are doomed to repeat it". To an extent, that is true. So it's important for us to learn and understand our past to be better. I think as long as you give the proper context to whatever offensive stuff you are trying to teach and make it clear it's wrong, I wouldn't see an issue. Racism and other messed up stuff still goes on today, so it's totally relevant to teach kids about it to help prepare them for the world and fight against it.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• True again! Racism is certainly not true and older people get a lot of trash from younger generations for being more layed back about racism, but I do think that this generation of new teenagers (no offence) do get too offended by things. They say racism is getting more previlant and happening more often but I don't think that's true. I think people make a bigger deal out of it now

No offence taken :D

Yeah I feel like my generation tends to make mountains out of molehills. I just go with the thought if I respond and continue to feed the racist people, then thats giving them more power. I'm not saying that we should ignore the problem but there are easier and simpler ways to bring attention to racism without blowing it up like your world is going to end. Tons of people in my generation apparently don't go by the old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" and I feel like the should. By responding negatively you're feeding the beast but, not ignoring it per say, but i guess by responding with kindness may be able to change things and make a lot of situations better.

• When I was in school, I read To Kill A Mockingbird before it was banned in most schools like it is today. My teacher asked a question and I've been thinking about my answer a lot. My teacher asked, "Would you have written the book differently? If so, why would you?" I said I would because I didn't like the racist judgement in the book. I said I would take that part out, or make the book more friendly. At the time, 7 years ago, I thought that was the right answer, but as I've been talking to highschool kids now, I've learned that a lot of them haven't read To Kill A Mockingbird, because it was banned due to the views that I said I would edit out.

But isn't it important for kids today to know the history of America? Unfortunately, the history contains a lot of racist judgment. But isn't it important for the kids to know that?

Do you think things should be taken out of the schools because they are deemed offensive? Is it good to protect the young people from these views or is it bad to shield them from things they will find in the world as soon as they graduate?

Agree, I mean are we going to pretend then like that never happened?

It happened, that is the fact.

And if we choose not to educate individuals, young ones, the leaders of the next generation, about this history, ultimately we are shutting out the voices of those who wanted justice from this.

work in progress

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!