Why does kpop music have zero longevity compared to western music?

• For example, I still listen to Umbrella and Take a Bow by Rihanna and it's been YEARS since those songs been released, but after a kpop song release when the hype dies I almost never touch that track again and it's only been a few months. Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me? :/

• Sounds like a you problem tbh. I still listen to the music my faves released in 2005 and 2006

Nop I still listen to Old Kpop song regularly right now I listen to BigBang Haru Haru and this was release in 2008 :|:|:|

It's all opinionated, but you're comparing fun, hype songs to deep, meaningful ballads.

"Umbrella" and "Take a Bow" are both ballads. Korean ballads have tons of longevity. "Eyes Nose Lips" by Taeyang, "If You" by BIGBANG, and other ballads have so much staying power.

Yeah wbk that second gen has music with longevity. I'm talking about current gen kpop music.

• you don't like the music as much as you thought you did

perhaps try branching out to different artists?

some western pop songs age well and some don't

it is the same with kpop for me

understanding the language also helps, lyrics do matter if your brain is retaining them

Umbrella has not aged well for me

• I think it's different from the music itself. I don't know how to express it. Examples of your song, both is hit songs, definitely, everyone that gives it a chance to listen will remember it. I still remember 80% Umbrella lyrics.

Hit songs from KPOP 1st gen and 2nd gen, for example, Turbo Twist King. Sechskies Couple, Super Junior Sorry Sorry, and SNSD Gee, I can still remember these songs very well although I'm not a fan of these groups.

• Yeah wbk that second gen has music with longevity. I'm talking about current gen kpop music.

Pretty hard to talk about the longevity of the music that is made currently, lol.

For what is worth, I'm still listening to songs from 2012-2014 but I wouldn't consider them 'old'.

• That's probably because of the type of Kpop songs you listen to? I still listen to 2008-2012 kpop bops daily but it depends on the song. Maybe because recently Kpop is obsessed with 'drop>hype music break' songs with no chorus that are fun for 5 minutes then it loses its touch. Western music is the same. Like would you still listen to Party Rock Anthem to this day? It depends on the song.

lt64IYu.gif

• Pretty hard to talk about the longevity of the music that is made currently, lol.

For what is worth, I'm still listening to songs from 2012-2014 but I wouldn't consider them 'old'.

Well, it's called current gen for a reason, isn't it? Give it a few years and we'll see what songs hold up.

Well I think a year is enough time for me to realize that the song doesn't have potential in ever being played again. Please understand that I'm trying to say that if the music being released dies out in only a few months the replay value is obviously trash.

• Well I think a year is enough time for me to realize that the song doesn't have potential in ever being played again. Please understand that I'm trying to say that if the music being released dies out in only a few months the replay value is obviously trash.

I mean I don't know what kind of music you're listening to, but if absolutely nothing holds up after a few months, maybe you should listen something better ? :whatr: Obviously some things aren't meant to last, but if a song is good for me, then it's good pretty much forever, lol.

Nice sig btw

• That's probably because of the type of Kpop songs you listen to? I still listen to 2008-2012 kpop bops daily but it depends on the song. Maybe because recently Kpop is obsessed with 'drop>hype music break' songs with no chorus that are fun for 5 minutes then it loses its touch. Western music is the same. Like would you still listen to Party Rock Anthem to this day? It depends on the song.

You do have a point. Think this is the most logical reply I've gotten in this thread lol.

• Well for current generation, one song has stood out above the rest in terms of charting longevity. Spring Day by BTS was released in February 2017, and to this very day is in Melon top 50 (I think now it’s at 35?). Some songs (especially ballads) have that evergreen feel that makes people kept listening to them again and again.

But the like superyeah said, we need to wait longer to see if the current gen has the evergreen appeal. Just need more time.

• I mean I don't know what kind of music you're listening to, but if absolutely nothing holds up after a few months, maybe you should listen something better ? :whatr: Obviously some things aren't meant to last, but if a song is good for me, then it's good pretty much forever, lol.

Nice sig btw

Lol thank you.

• it always depends on the song and the type of music...

remember kpop isn't genre per se it encompasses a vast spectrum of different genres from ballads to EDM to trot so given the broad spectrum one can be assured that certain songs will have such longevity

all GG these days still cover and dance to and listen to ITNW from SNSD

Haru Haru is a classic from BB...

Sprin day my fav kpop song of all time released in 2017 still charts...

• Op if this is a generation thing then I think I understand what you mean.

Kpop has become so trend-dependent in the past few years. Whenever a new music trend emerges, everyone will hop on it and it's robbing kpop groups off any uniqueness or individuality they could have. During the 2nd generation top and even mid tier groups were so distinct from each other, no one would mistake Super Junior for Bigbang, SHINee for TVXQ, 2PM for SS501, Infinite for B2st, Mblaq for Bloc B, FT Island for 2AM etc. Or SNSD for 2NE1, KARA for f(x), T-ara for 4minute, Sistar for Wonder Girls, Miss A for After School etc.

Both the sound and the concepts were so diverse and different from each other. In comparison how many current top and mid tier groups are absolutely different from each other? Every other GG seem to be doing the girl crush concept and every other BG is emo and depressed, with very few exceptions.

Besides, trend-heavy music is bound to age badly once the trend passes.

• Official Post

People have been saying this forever though. There is a tendency to "trash" everything current by comparing it negatively to the a previous incarnation of that thing. It usually starts like this, "Well, in the olden days, they used to..." In reality, you have to give things time to settle. Your prediction is that they won't last - they may or may not, but it requires time for that prediction to become reality. It isn't reality yet.

• You know, I'm kind of curious how the rise of streaming plays into this. I'm speaking from personal experience, but I think a lot of people can relate. Growing up, the songs I heard was what everyone else listened to. And we all heard these songs over and over again on the radio, so naturally, a lot of pop songs from the early-mid 2000s have stuck with me because of the exposure.

Nowadays, people don't do radio and just stream stuff. You have more control over what exactly you want to listen to. So maybe if you had to listen to newer kpop songs over and over, they would stick with you better.

Still, I do think taste and experience play the largest part in this so like to some people, new kpop songs might stick with them while for others it won't. It's just how it is.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• Hmm. Not sure what you usually listen to, but I think there are disposable songs in both Kpop and Western pop, just as there are long-lasting songs in both genres.

I’m still bopping to Shinee’s Lucifer but am not running around and singing Kesha Tik Tok (came out in same year.) EXO Call Me Baby was still my most played song last year, but Megan Trainor’s Lips Are Movin”, while cute in 2015, the same year as CMB, isn’t something I’m listening to 6 years later. NCT’s Boss is still fire, but I’m definitely not listening to “Gucci Gang” or “Meant to Be”, and those were all songs big on the radio in 2018 when Boss came out.

I’m pretty confident I’ll be listening to songs from my faves years from now because I like their voices and music. Some of the songs I prefer might change - like I appreciate EXO’s chill winter albums a lot more as an adult than a teenager - but thh the majority of the songs hold up just fine. Which is more than I can say for “Pumped up kicks” or “Blame it on the Alcohol.”

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I prefer older songs, BTS, other Kpop bands or even western music. In the past few years, I just don't like anything. Some songs are fun at first, but like OP said, they don't have longevity. It gets boring fast.

• good music always stays. There are some songs from kpop that are old and still stuck in my mind

But they have this method of quantity over quality...kpopers are not happy if their faves don´t give them at least 2 come backs a year (or more).

You are going to forget of half of their music. Most famous historicly have lots of good songs, but there are other that live from the fandom and not so much from the quality of their music

Western music takes in general more time betwen albums...and get better results

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

• Once K-pop gets out of the habit of emulating or being overtly influenced by Western artists, then they will be more respected. GFRIEND's "Rough" is an example of K-pop coming to its own. But now we got BTS selling out and kissing Western ass, musically, which, a lot of people won't admit to, is setting K-pop back at least ten years. With the present state of BTS in America, you can begin to see that they never did it on their own terms-- it's all marketing.

• This thread contains 7 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!