anyone else go through this?

• woah, i’ve made three threads in one day, personal record for me (it’s a little embarrassing for me to see so many threads up in the lounge...i’ve got lots to say today aha). I thought of this right before i was about to sleep so i’m gonna go night night right after i post this.

before i go in too deeply into my life story of self-hatred lol, it’s good to know before that i’m an ABC (aussie born chinese) for some context

i went through a umm...period of culture hate, i suppose. I was really proud of my bilingual abilities, right up until when i was 7 till i was 13. When i was that age, i absolutely HATED and i mean HATED being associated with anything Chinese. I don’t know if this was because the school i went to was predominantly white with people with really...white (i guess? i feel bad for using this word but idk how else to say it) mentalities.

when i was 7-9 i used to draw myself with blonde hair instead of dark brown. I hated my yellowish skin tint, hated my eyes, hated my nose and hated my hair. Literally everything. So i decided to stop speaking mandarin, or speak it as little as possible, thinking it was “cool” to be able to speak english well, spending a lot of energy into reading only english books and leaving my mandarin abilities to rot. Little me was very stupid.

when i was about 10-13, i took so much freaking pride in my “australian identity”. Like, i’d think oh i’m australian and i’m not chinese lol. It was actually horrible. I..don’t think i had hated myself more than when i was 12 honestly. I vehemently avoided anything and everything to do with Chinese culture, and i hated international day. A true pity, since the most racist person that i knew was myself.

It was around when i was 15, till i started to really appreciate my heritage and abilities to speak two languages. It’s actually such a gift to be able to understand two different cultures...so i’m proud of being able to do that.

i really regret it now. I’m learning mandarin again though, and i’m getting good. I can still speak it just fine, and i can read and write (not at a high level though, i do enough to get by). Now, i’m more proud my taiwanese-hk heritage so a little happier now. Just a lot of regret though, i don’t know when or why it sprang up but it was a disappointing period in my life.

anyways, that’s over now and i was just curious to see if anyone else went through a phase like this?

EN-: jungwon | heeseung | jay | jake | sunghoon | sunoo | ni-ki

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I completely understand where you're coming from that phase for me was in primary school when i got bullied and into fights every second day because i was the only chinese in an otherwise white school back in the 90s when bullying wasn't that much of a thing yet.

I completely understand where you're coming from

• I'm really happy to hear you're appreciating your heritage now! <3 It's a bit heartbreaking to hear you had a hard time accepting it when you were younger.

You should be really proud of it, we are all different and that's great, we can learn from each other that way!

I never experienced something like that myself, since i grew up in quite culturally homogeneous background. But i was always interested to learn about other cultures.

Also congrats for so many threads in a day! haha

• I am trying really hard to learn the native Cherokee language and it is very hard as is Italian. I would love to speak my family's native languages but I just do not find myself with enough time to invest in strictly that. Do not feel bad for not being perfect at your language, the thought is what counts.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Minnie-SEC-Sig.png

• Idk, I just prefer speaking english anyway cuz I can speak with literally anyone around the world. I was trying to be edgy hating my nationality and heritage XD but I dont hate them

good...lol

I can't imagine someone hating one's own nationality that live in relative peace

• :pepe-sad: too lazy to read bestie

just a baby identity crisis lol :smirks2:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Wow, so many Chinese related to Aussie here. selfmate  Armedryu

we’re actually everywhere :danceb:

• aww thankie! lol, ikr? it’s a lot of writing.

• I am trying really hard to learn the native Cherokee language and it is very hard as is Italian. I would love to speak my family's native languages but I just do not find myself with enough time to invest in strictly that. Do not feel bad for not being perfect at your language, the thought is what counts.

KEEP GOING! Omg Cherokee is so difficult (esp for me, i’ve never heard it before but i already know since i’m really bad at learning languages) so i’m really proud of you. Thank you, let’s both work hard on this :oks:

• Im glad u feel better

I have never gone through something like this tho bcuz my mom always made it clear to me that im Chinese and i shouldn’t give a fuck about what other ppl be sayin

“Welcome to good burger, home of the good burger, can I take your order?”

• I'm Viet Hoa (Vietnamese-Chinese.) My grandparents were boat people. My parents were too but they arrived in the US very young and grew up here. I'm American born and spoke basically all English except a few Vietnamese words with my grand parents.

So I basically saw myself as American when I was younger and I was exactly like you. I wished I was white back then because I thought it would have make things easier. I tried to laugh it off when people pulled their eyes back and called me "chinky" or "gooky."

When I was in my teens and began dating, I dated strictly white boys. My dad said he wasn't opposed to me dating because he grew up here too but asked if I would consider a Vietnamese, Chinese or any Asian boy. And I remember laughing and saying "Hell no, dad. I can't date an Asian guy. Nobody likes them!" I remember his face just falling. I couldn't believe how open I was with my prejudice back then -- I couldn't even call it self-hate, I was proud that I was born in the US and an American. It was pure prejudice against Asians. I wasn't the only one because my behavior was re-enforced by other Asian-Americans my age.

But then came KPOP and at last I felt comfortable with something Asian that was cool. (Unlike that "Paris by Night" ancient VPOP stuff that my grandparents liked.) That was when I began delving into Asian culture. My own culture. KPOP really gave me that opening I needed to finally explore my Asian roots without feeling like some backwards FOB (Fresh Off the Boat.) KPOP was the perfect blend of modern Western and Asian pop culture. Without it I doubt I could have made the jump -- it was okay to be Asian!

Then I got into CPOP and it was even more "Asian" than KPOP. And then Idol Producer happened. I fell in love with Nine Percent and I found my current boyfriend who was also following IP then. The first Asian boy I had ever dated. Like Nine Percent, he is Chinese and tall and my perception of who I was and where I belong in this world has completely changed :)

I know exactly who I am now.

Why do I watch survival shows? This!

• that is everything i love, i love that so so much! For me, i don’t really remember when i began to accept myself and not shun parts of myself. I think it was just...seeing more media i guess? I genuinely don’t even remember but it was gradual and now i’m much much happier. I’m proud of my asian heritage, my exquisite taste in cpop/kpop/jpop (i listen to them all biche) and my fluency in the language (which is still developing lol).

• I love my Chinese heritage, but I do wish sometimes I was half-white just bc they have more privileges in the U.S.

My college is predominantly white as well, so it really made me question whether I belong in the U.S. or not.

yeah, my school is pretty white (sydney private school check) so i literally grew up in such a white atmosphere (there was subtle racism now that i look back, and ig that influenced me more). It was embarrassing for me to speak mandarin i’m ngl, i used to feel embarrassed abt it and my god was that stupid :wilds:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!