Why are chinese physical sales belittled?

• Since bp c-fandoms are so open on twt I’ll use them as an example. So Lisa chinese bar contributed 115k to the album sales and the bar has 770k members. That’s not so bad imo some people make it seem like there is 2k buying and storing.

I never hear this about Korean and Japanese group purchases. Do they do things differently? Or are they just more secretive about it.

Your average ggs enthusiast...

• I didn't understand. Why would korean and japanese fans making group purchases if they can buy in a Store from their own country?

Idk I thought they have links for group purchases with hanteo for discounts and extra stuff

• It’s not physicals that are belittled but Chinese digitals because Chinese digitals are super super cheap. Never see see people talk about the physics though

people talk about BOTH actually , even physicals , seen it too many times. also i could say the digitals should not be belittled as well as they rake in millions of dollars, but i will hold my mouth on that one.

• I didn't understand. Why would korean and japanese fans making group purchases if they can buy in a Store from their own country?

for japanese , if it's korean album they would buy it through group purchases.

• It’s not physicals that are belittled but Chinese digitals because Chinese digitals are super super cheap. Never see see people talk about the physics though

No it was always physical sales with exo and now bp people see them differently than Japanese and Korean sales. For digital no one cared until bp the album sales and the ww ranking

• people talk about BOTH actually , even physicals , seen it too many times. also i could say the digitals should not be belittled as well as they rake in millions of dollars, but i will hold my mouth on that one.

I haven’t seen much talk about physicals tbh.

And for the digitals it costs 75c for a Digital album in China, compare that to the €14 I’d have to pay for a digital album the difference is huge. It’s not that they should be belittled as such but they need to down weighted correctly on comparison. Look at the Chinese singer who made the best selling singles list he was only 7 but sold over 50 million

• Idk I thought they have links for group purchases with hanteo for discounts and extra stuff

If It happens, I don't think It's common. As far as I know, group purchases are done mostly by fans from countrys that don't have distribution of K-pop albums to get discounts in shipping (what is, sometimes, even more expensive than the album itself).

• I haven’t seen much talk about physicals tbh.

And for the digitals it costs 75c for a Digital album in China, compare that to the €14 I’d have to pay for a digital album the difference is huge. It’s not that they should be belittled as such but they need to down weighted correctly on comparison. Look at the Chinese singer who made the best selling singles list he was only 7 but sold over 50 million

and yet he still made millions of dollars, he made a HUGE sum just from that. so my point still stands that they make lots of money, also china is the 7th biggest music market in the world. they are definitely not in need.

Edited once, last by whatev ().

• If It happens, I don't think It's common. As far as I know, group purchases are done mostly by fans from countrys that don't have distribution of K-pop albums to get discounts in shipping (what is, sometimes, even more expensive than the album itself).

Ah ok.. so k and j fans just go and buy separately or they do have some sort of plan/organising thro fanbases

• In this case, I think they both do group purchases and buy in their own stores where sell korean albums and it counts for Oricon :danceb:

Korean albums are get a place on Oricon in two ways. The first is if the company has a distributor agreement in Japan.Like UMG Japan etc. In this way, Japanese fans can access albums more easily than Chinese fans, because this is not the case for China. The second appears on Oricon's list of albums imported from abroad, not on the main charts. Oricon filters many things and does not count international sales. That's why the worldwide sales totals of Japanese albums differ on Oricon and Billboard.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• Korean albums are get a place on Oricon in two ways. The first is if the company has a distributor agreement in Japan.Like UMG Japan etc. In this way, Japanese fans can access albums more easily than Chinese fans, because this is not the case for China. The second appears on Oricon's list of albums imported from abroad, not on the main charts. Oricon filters many things and does not count international sales. That's why the worldwide sales totals of Japanese albums differ on Oricon and Billboard.

Thank you for the clarification!

• and yet he still made millions of dollars, he made a HUGE sum just from that. so my point still stands that they make lots of money, also china is the 7th biggest music market in the world. idk they are in much need.

It’s not about money it’s about the ranking hence why it wasn’t a problem before in kpop. The market is not regulated you could mass buy and the prices are cheap. Tho I don’t know how much fans participate in this since iirc bigbang album from 2015 is still highest kpop album. Why didn’t any fandom mass buy to get their fave easily to no1

• It’s not about money it’s about the ranking hence why it wasn’t a problem before in kpop. The market is not regulated you could mass buy and the prices are cheap. Tho I don’t know how much fans participate in this since iirc bigbang album from 2015 is still highest kpop album. Why didn’t any fandom mass buy to get their fave easily to no1

This is a missconception, Bigbang haven't release an album in 2015, they released one in 2016. what they released in 2015 were 4 pairs of singles, each pair could be bought as a stand alone purchase

Their 2016 album sold about 1.8 million in QQ music

But yeah, this Bigbang album was crazy cheap, like not even 2 USD

Comparatively EXO's LS sold about 1.4 million but costs roughly 3 times the Bigbang album lol

• This is not true. They are cheaper than in USA but not THAT cheap. For instance EXO albums in average costs from 4 to 6 dollars

sorry if I’m mistaken. I’m getting my information off my Chinese friend and they gave me an example of the lose control mini album which was 5 Yuan RMB which converts to 0.77 United States dollars. That’s where I got my information from. I think I can find the screen shot if you want it

• This topic is really .... Bringing my fight mode back bc look!! BP are being overheated and hunted since debut, but things got worse since 2017.

Everything they touch, achieve, break and just breath people always find a way to dismiss and go beyond human being and starts their xenophobic/racist/sexist/misogyny agenda.

It's just pure and evil hate. C sales are great, it shows how much of a star you are that thousand of people are eager to make your dreams come true.

People just say otherwise bc BP is really achieving something that almost no kg did. They are being known to the gp and making a name in China. They are being loved and breaking records with this support they got. Just this fact make people lose their minds and morality.

And I'm saying this bc I saw what people said about them so I can rant about it without the victim card as it's something real and it's still happening.

Ok, bye kkkkk

• sorry if I’m mistaken. I’m getting my information off my Chinese friend and they gave me an example of the lose control mini album which was 5 Yuan RMB which converts to 0.77 United States dollars. That’s where I got my information from. I think I can find the screen shot if you want it

Maybe she's talking about EPs?

I realize the album price tag is defined by the label, each label can define a price point for the albums, so I believe some albums are really sold as cheap as possible to inflate sales. For instance EXO albums are about 22 yuan, while Lay solo albums can be 27 yuan

EXO last live album was 30 yuan

Edit. Here, I have screenshots

• I understand how you feel. I just don’t want to make it about 1 group since this happens to all groups who find success and support in China

• I understand how you feel. I just don’t want to make it about 1 group since this happens to all groups who find success and support in China

Oh!! So I'm gonna say that is jealous bc despite China being a huge market and groups having good physical the tops groups are having 300k pre orders or more just from China and it makes people find it bad bc yes, their faves are not on pair with the real successful ones.

• singles I think bp hylt as some around o.75 cents but their album around 4 dollars and from what I observe Taylor Swift folklore album is somewhat around 6 dollars

• Official Post

I've personally never seen Chinese physicals downgraded or downplayed. I think back in EXO's peak or when they were first starting out, many antis used the fact that they were popular in China against the group, but other than that idk. It's mainly Chinese downloads and digitals that get modt of the attention.

BP aren't even heavily reliant on Chinese sales(only 200k out of 1m copies from The Album came from China, cmiiw), so I don't know why so many people use that to belittle and downplay them.

• Oh!! So I'm gonna say that is jealous bc despite China being a huge market and groups having good physical the tops groups are having 300k pre orders or more just from China and it makes people find it bad bc yes, their faves are not on pair with the real successful ones.

But you almost never see this with Japanese sales maybe bc we don’t know how much jfans contribute to total sales? Idk like if x group has a Korean cb and 50% of physical sales come from japan it never brings criticism but y group cb has 50% Chinese sales it is seen as less of a success like oh its the Chinese funds.. maybe bc as far as I know k and j fans don’t share their strategies and numbers unlike the Chinese they like to brag lol

• But you almost never see this with Japanese sales maybe bc we don’t know how much jfans contribute to total sales? Idk like if x group has a Korean cb and 50% of physical sales come from japan it never brings criticism but y group cb has 50% Chinese sales it is seen as less of a success like oh its the Chinese funds.. maybe bc as far as I know k and j fans don’t share their strategies and numbers unlike the Chinese they like to brag lol

It's bc they show the numbers and sometimes 30% or 40% of the overall sales do come from China and i honestly don't understand how people really use this to downplay c sales?? It's like 1+2=π kkkk

• I've personally never seen Chinese physicals downgraded or downplayed. I think back in EXO's peak or when they were first starting out, many antis used the fact that they were popular in China against the group, but other than that idk. It's mainly Chinese downloads and digitals that get modt of the attention.

BP aren't even heavily reliant on Chinese sales(only 200k out of 1m copies from The Album came from China, cmiiw), so I don't know why so many people use that to belittle and downplay them.

I think for bp it’s 450k out of 1.2m now or 1.3m I’m not exactly sure.

But for Chinese physical sales I see it all the time they call them bulk buyers.. Chinese funds sales etc but they never belittle Korean and Japanese sales like that

• I think there are a couple of reasons they sort of dismiss C-Sales.

1) Cost of the product. Even an Album that is 30 Yuan is about 1/4th the price of the same album in the US which costs 20 dollars.

2) There is no independent record keeping body like Riaj, Billboard, or similar type of group. The numbers I have seen at least come from Tencent for Tencent products and so forth. It is like YG or SM saying we sold 2M albums and there is no independent way of verifying those numbers. Also there is no law in China that I'm aware of that makes misreporting something like this a crime or the company liable with lawsuits and such. Could be mistaken though so if I'm wrong please correct me on these.

1) Cost of the product. Even an Album that is 30 Yuan is about 1/4th the price of the same album in the US which costs 20 dollars.

2) There is no independent record keeping body like Riaj, Billboard, or similar type of group. The numbers I have seen at least come from Tencent for Tencent products and so forth. It is like YG or SM saying we sold 2M albums and there is no independent way of verifying those numbers. Also there is no law in China that I'm aware of that makes misreporting something like this a crime or the company liable with lawsuits and such. Could be mistaken though so if I'm wrong please correct me on these.

A digital album price in USA is somewhere from 12 to 16 dollars and nowadays they are almost perpetually on sale to push numbers, Justin Bieber last album is discounted for 5 USD in the week of its release

Think it's partly due to the low cost thing and partly due to the general stigma against China and their government.

Physical sales not digital. Physical albums are bought from Korea for the same price as everywhere else

• Everything they touch, achieve, break and just breath people always find a way to dismiss and go beyond human being and starts their xenophobic/racist/sexist/misogyny agenda.

When they broke YT views = it’s bought views, bots. YT views don’t matter at all. And it’s mostly from SEA!

When they obviously face sexism/misogyny = it’s not the case, it’s just strategy, they are in fact the most privileged Group out there.

If they achieve big numbers, also through the help of China: China is irrelevant, their numbers mean nothing.

And when they can’t find anything to dismiss them, they just discredit their whole success all together by claiming it’s thanks to other men.

It’s so ridiculous, you kinda got used to it lol

• It doesn't get any better anywhere else either.

If bp makes it mainstream in the west, prepare to see the xenophobic/racist agenda increase by 10 times. Even from the media. Also, you have to constantly deal with the "bots", "mass buying", "payola" BS.

• there are two different issues here

1) BP's The Album had 200k+ contributed by C-fans, those are bought at the NORMAL album price. Evrry group has bulk buy, not sure why this is being targeted always

2) Digital album download in China is cheaper, so does every release in China. They are weighted down in IFPI im sure, so what's the problem

• This thread contains 13 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!