Who do you think will challenge NewJeans the most in 2024?

• Who will be NewJeans' chief rival? 28

1. Baemon (4) 14%
    2. IVE (15) 54%
    3. Le Sserafim (7) 25%
    4. Stray Kids (1) 4%
    5. Our Old Friend who derailed aespa in 2021 (1) 4%

I listened to Baemon's debut song and was not impressed.

It seems the debut was rushed , following Ahyeon's departure and the uncertainty on BlackPink's contract renewal.

You don't get to have a second chance to build a first impression, and with no clear focus on the nationalities, it is like a salad bowl with three nationalities playing their own game.

BlackPink was 2:1:1(Thailand):1(Oz/NZ), and Twice was 5:2:1:1 (Korean 5, Japanese 2, Taiwanese 1, American 1 (Sharon was American at debut) , and aespa was 2:1:1. NewJeans is 3:1:1 (technically 3:2 but the only thing Pham Ngoc Han and Danielle Marsh have in common is the color of their passports).

2;2:2 seems to be unstable. Without a clear dominant faction it will just divide into cliques.

Next year, with BTS in the dungeon, NewJeans will have several challenges. It seems the challenges from Baemon seems to be manageable.

It has threats from IVE, Le Sserafim and Stray Kids, but at least in Korea its grip seems to be secure.

In fact I am afraid its greatest 2024 rival might be the singer who caused sorrow to so many acts, starting from Big Bang all the way to aespa. Our Old Friend, who debuted before the youngest member of Baemon was born, will challenge Kpop again earlier next year and seems there is no more act which can stop Our Old Friend, so N,instead of fighting their newer rivals, might have to deal with Our Old Friend whose victory against NJ would once again put Kpop to the bad old days.

• I think IVE is currently giving them a good fight. I’d also wager a bet ILL’LIT because they’re also HYBE and bang PD will 100% push them. They have similar visuals to New Jeans too.

There’s also the highly anticipated SMNGG. If they go with the large SNSD like GG formula with public friendly music I could see them put up a good fight especially since SM has been doing amazing with RIIZE’s concept and they are currently smashing in Korea for boy group standards.

More unlikely to happen but never impossible is KISS of Life. They’re just so talented that I refuse to believe they’ll flop into nugudom 😭

• I must be the only one who don't see what's the fuss about lesserafim, they had 3 songs that did decently good and one that is topping the weakest charts in history (perfect night is performing worse than alcohol free that was considered a flop), they have not achieved anything BIG like newjeans did with hype boy, gidle with tomboy, ive with love dive and aespa with next level... they have lot of potential yes but people talk about them like if tha potential already was achieved, like a right now thing

• I must be the only one who don't see what's the fuss about lesserafim, they had 3 songs that did decently good and one that is topping the weakest charts in history (perfect night is performing worse than alcohol free that was considered a flop), they have not achieved anything BIG like newjeans did with hype boy, gidle with tomboy, ive with love dive and aespa with next level... they have lot of potential yes but people talk about them like if tha potential already was achieved, like a right now thing

Maybe in tiny Korea. Antifragile peaked higher and had better longevity on global charts than any Aespa/Gidle song and it's outstreamed any IVE song on Spotify despite coming out months after

Put some respect on their name

• I'll take my bets on I'LL-IT like one of the top comments said.

They do have a similar vibe to NewJeans and again like the person said, Bang PD is gonna push them hard because he wants his own version of NewJeans.

So the visuals so far are great!

If the music is good too once they debut??? NewJeans will have them as a top competition...at least in Korea.

......whole time the competition might be coming from inside the house, since they both would be HYBE groups

• Maybe in tiny Korea. Antifragile peaked higher and had better longevity on global charts than any Aespa/Gidle song and it's outstreamed any IVE song on Spotify despite coming out months after

Put some respect on their name

This, they always talk about Korea charts (where LE SSERAFIM songs are 8-2-1-1 (and 3 for a bside -Only Blackpink can do this and 1 for an English song where only BTS can top the chart with an English release so they're not that far behind) and they forgot that LE SSERAFIM with Antifragile - out streaming all other songs from IVE/AESPA/IDLE on Spotify. Perfect Night is now the most successful LE SSERAFIM song on spotify so they will have 2 releases that out streaming other groups. And not to mention they're also charting on BB Under where America matter (Thing that IVE/AESPA/IDLE haven't able to do yet)

• The other GGs are not that far away from competition as it seems like.

I'm not trying to pick on you or a fight, but I've seen this comment more and more often this month and I'm genuinely curious.

What is this belief based on? What metrics tell us any girl group is close to NJ?

I ask that because Circle, Melon, Billboard, Spotify and YouTube South Korea tell a very different story.

I legit want to know if I'm missing some key data points that everyone else has access to.

• I think IVE is currently giving them a good fight. I’d also wager a bet ILL’LIT because they’re also HYBE and bang PD will 100% push them. They have similar visuals to New Jeans too.

There’s also the highly anticipated SMNGG. If they go with the large SNSD like GG formula with public friendly music I could see them put up a good fight especially since SM has been doing amazing with RIIZE’s concept and they are currently smashing in Korea for boy group standards.

More unlikely to happen but never impossible is KISS of Life. They’re just so talented that I refuse to believe they’ll flop into nugudom 😭

I won't lose sleep over SMNGG or Illlit. They don't have enough forces to defeat NewJeans.

giphy.gif

No one in the 4th Gen

Which is why I cited a 2nd Generation figure.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!