I saw this coming. I knew that Lisa would only re-sign with YG for the BP brand..

• YG idols don't get regular comebacks and I don't see Lisa releasing music albums and stuff.

I think single albums and minis released like BigBang M.A.D.E will work best for her.

Then she can do the rest by herself or with another label as she wants without YG's control.

This will work for Jisoo and Jennie as well if they want to do more than music.

That way, they don't get to lose their Black Pink brand.

Edit: I was right about re-signing with YG but I don't know if Lisa will do music under YG.

I'm glad they all left. They deserve much better. I'm excited to see what Rose does musically.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by sonemariam ().

• At this point, only the members thinking of seriously doing music should sign with other labels because, under YG, they'll keep waiting for years until it's past their prime before doing anything more than singles or mini albums with 3 songs every two years if they're lucky.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• the real question is are they happy with the status quo though

that's the million dollar question...

obviously we as fans want more music more variety more content more interactions more concerts and just more everything...

but we mustn't forget that on the other side of things are real people who have their own dreams and aspirations and stuff

• the real question is are they happy with the status quo though

that's the million dollar question...

obviously we as fans want more music more variety more content more interactions more concerts and just more everything...

but we mustn't forget that on the other side of things are real people who have their own dreams and aspirations and stuff

Obviously, she wants to do other stuff but the only way they get to keep their brand name and somewhat have control over it is if they keep some kind of relationship with YG.

So it's good for her because if music is not her priority, doing it under YG won't affect her as she gets to do what she loves elsewhere without YG's control.

• Obviously, she wants to do other stuff but the only way they get to keep their brand name and somewhat have control over it is if they keep some kind of relationship with YG.

So it's good for her because if music is not her priority, doing it under YG won't affect her as she gets to do what she loves elsewhere without YG's control.

right but that's no different than any other group and company right?

every company owns the rights to the brand of the group regardless of whether it's YG or otherwise no??

I mean your favs EXO the brand is owned by SM no?

and generally from what we've seen in the last 7 years YG generally for the most part has allowed the pinks to effectively do whatever the F they want...

• Got7 got away with their name somehow.

No, I don't think the pinks have had that much freedom tbh. YG controls their everything. They even don't get to attend some fashion events they're invited for and they've compalined about being idle here and there. They've wanted to have creative freedom and they are not credited on some of the music they've worked on so...

When it comes to control, YG is no.1 at keeping their idols in the dungeon. Gummy and Lee Hi and many rappers have left the label because to YG, it doesn't matter who you are, you only get to work when YG wants you to.

And the sexism is worse, male idols kinda have some creative freedom while female idols don't.

In other labels, many if not all idols who want to go solo do so, they get to act, release music, etc but not in YG. BP has only been allowed to model and I'm sure if they were not in YG, they'd have 10+ endorsement deals a year per person given their popularity like idols from smaller/other labels.

• Question of general curiosity

How can a company trademark one’s name? And can you counter that in any way? Like put a counter trademark request?

I think it's possible if the company gave you the name and idols have fought to keep their names but it takes time. GFriend did beat Source music to it and Shinhwa best SM I think, Tara too?

It's a thing and it's one of the new revolutions in kpop. Idols fight for to keep the right to their brands is common lately.

• it's not gonna hurt their brand to go to a new company other than YG. Maybe she wants her music to sound different than what YG is giving her.

I think she can do anything musically. LaLisa and Money are different but she owned and executed both excellently.

• They already fucked up her solo debut. Nobody in their right mind would stay to let it happen again.

Blackpink members are all established and successful, they just don't need or depend on the Blackpink brand like other groups that did the "separate" but still together

BLɅϽKPIИKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKA

d0be49590cd653400f491d4e92f0b5d82155e223.webp0686f56fbdf2b311900a9b1d35ebeb45486cbecf.webp67079a1df7aa8cb99ba773c7f5a82e1e36b586c7.webp

• right they got their name because JYPE gave it to them same as ikon when they left as well if I recall but that's the thing the company still choose (or negotiated to give them the rights to the name)

but again that's no different to any other kpop company and the smaller the company the more control they want over their idols - hell I remember stayc's company higher up or something and stayc said in a variety show that until they won like 3 times on a music show they wouldn't even get to use their phones at will or some shit like that...

the question isn't unique to YG per se but rather that kpop companies as a whole try to control their artists...

yes YG does have a dungeon problem and I think all fans of BP know it...I'm not sure of the others you mentioned since I don't really know about them specifically

but again no different than literally any other company - you tell me any other (large/larger???) company (other than maybe Cube and Soyeon) where the female artists have a lot of creative freedom? to my knowledge no company has allowed their female idols to write or produce or compose a major (not counting like one or two lines) a title track!!! bsides sure go for it but for TT none other than cube and soyeon but that's a special case...

but again my point is maybe the members of BP wanted that???? cfs literally bring in more money for the idol than music stuff - sure we as fans would prefer more music but maybe the idols in question prefer more non- music solo activities...

I guess overall my point is yes I agree YG is shit but overall when compared to other (both big 4 and non big 4) kpop companies they aren't shitter overall - sure they are more shit in some areas but less shit in others lol

How can a company trademark one’s name? And can you counter that in any way? Like put a counter trademark request?

without detailed knowledge of SK copyright laws (what are you talking about I as LSM would have vast detailed knowledge of SK and SM!!! copyright laws!!!) I think when a group is created the rights to the name of the group belongs to the company (obviously they can release those rights back to the artist during negotiations and what not)

for names though obviously you can't trademark one's legal name but if i recall you can trademark an artist's stage name???

• without detailed knowledge of SK copyright laws (what are you talking about I as LSM would have vast detailed knowledge of SK and SM!!! copyright laws!!!) I think when a group is created the rights to the name of the group belongs to the company (obviously they can release those rights back to the artist during negotiations and what not)

for names though obviously you can't trademark one's legal name but if i recall you can trademark an artist's stage name???

Interesting

。・:*˚:✧。  :borahae::borahae: 。・:*˚:✧。⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩

• They've wanted to have creative freedom and they are not credited on some of the music they've worked on so...

And the sexism is worse, male idols kinda have some creative freedom while female idols don't.

Blackpink actually has quite a bit of creative input in their music and concepts. More than say Red Velvet but probably not as much as Twice.

Creative input does not mean writing songs only but having input on the songs written/chosen and the concepts they go with

d0be49590cd653400f491d4e92f0b5d82155e223.webp0686f56fbdf2b311900a9b1d35ebeb45486cbecf.webp67079a1df7aa8cb99ba773c7f5a82e1e36b586c7.webp

• Gummy, Lee Hi, 2ne1 etc all spoke about their mistreatment, them making music and not being able to release it etc it's no secret.

About sexism,

Other labels like JYP promote girls as well as boys especially if they bring good money. Look at Twice solo debuts, they were given mini albums and not too apart from each other and I hear that they get credited for all the work they do on their music.

If you look at SM idols, not many write/produce their music but both boys and girls are promoted almost equally. Taeyeon, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Yoona, Seulgi, Wendy, Joy, Irene, Luna, Victoria and Amber before they left, Aespa concert solos, BoA. And for solos, idols have a chance to be in charge of what they release. All SM group idol members get solo albums whenever they want and solos are released in the same year with group comebacks. In fact, in SM, they don't even need to make a lot to be given solo careers. They are all given a chance. YG doesn't compare at all when it comes to promoting female idols leave alone male idols. They just lost Bigbang. You would think that given their success, the label would respect them as it should but no!

I'm not saying BP members don't want to be mostly kept in the dungeon but, as a casual fun, I've seen them want more than what they are given here and there so my point is if they want more, they should sign to a label that can give them what they want and give YG rights to what they don't want so much. That's it.

Edited once, last by sonemariam ().

• sonemariam

Changed the title of the thread from “Lisa should do music under YG.” to “Lisa should do music under YG if music is not her priority.”.
  • Lisa and Jennie have the most potential to have a successful career I hope neither of them signed to YG.

They deserve promo with high quality songwriters and producers.

I agree if music is what they want to focus on.

• interesting I wasn't around for that but I take what you said at face value - again I'm not disagreeing and saying YG is a "good company"

JYPE is one of the worst companies when it comes to solo activities (twice had effectively) no solo activities in their first 6 years - hell they didn't even get individual IG accounts until their seventh year (SKZ didn't get it until this year their fifth) JYPE still hasn't given Itzy their individual IG accounts - JYPE is not the best company for solo activities since the ghost of Suzy still haunts him in this sleep!!!

sure and this is one area where SM does better than YG - there are others where it doesn't like providing security for their artists - the red velvet airport thread...and constantly delaying MV releases and whatnot

and look I'm sure they'll do what's in their best interests - maybe it's YG - maybe it's a completed different label

there's risks and rewards for both

YG is part of the big 3 - they have more resources and connections - no one can say BP can get to where whey are without YG and if they want to move on great - I'm a fan of BP and I couldn't give two F***** about YG I want the best for the members and if it's YG so be it - if it's not and they move to a different company - great

No, I don't think the pinks have had that much freedom tbh. YG controls their everything.

I think I remember reading somewhere that one of the higher up in one of Lisa's brands said she was nice but inaccessible due to being surrounded by people from her company.

Out of all members, she needs Korea the least, so I hope she will get her freedom

• If you look at SM idols, not many write/produce their music but both boys and girls are promoted almost equally. Taeyeon, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Yoona, Seulgi, Wendy, Joy, Irene, Luna, Victoria and Amber before they left, Aespa concert solos, BoA. And for solos, idols have a chance to be in charge of what they release. All SM group idol members get solo albums whenever they want and solos are released in the same year with group comebacks. In fact, in SM, they don't even need to make a lot to be given solo careers. They are all given a chance. YG doesn't compare at all when it comes to promoting female idols leave alone male idols. They just lost Bigbang. You would think that given their success, the label would respect them as it should but no!

Amber, Luna, Tiffany, Krystal, Jonghyun, Victoria and Seohyun would like a word

• Suzy's ghost wouldn't haunt him if she wasn't given a good solo push?

I really hope JYP can do better for those ladies.

And for SM, delaying MVs, poor airport security at times isn't much if they are giving their idols good solo careers. I think they learned from Snsd so they treat RV better even though there's room for improvement. YG is just the worst at solo careers.

• JYPE is one of the worst companies when it comes to solo activities (twice had effectively) no solo activities in their first 6 years - hell they didn't even get individual IG accounts until their seventh year (SKZ didn't get it until this year their fifth) JYPE still hasn't given Itzy their individual IG accounts - JYPE is not the best company for solo activities since the ghost of Suzy still haunts him in this sleep!!!

Couldn't do anything for their actual soloists too. The division currently managing Day6 used to be filled with super talented singers but they all left. almost at the same time. JYP is probably the only Big 3 where the ones that leave are almost guaranteed to do better without them

What's craziest is every time a JYP idol ever spoke up about the mismanagement, they were silenced. Completely. Deleted the post, forced retraction and apology and then their sns usually got deleted

• JYPE is one of the worst companies when it comes to solo activities (twice had effectively) no solo activities in their first 6 years - hell they didn't even get individual IG accounts until their seventh year (SKZ didn't get it until this year their fifth) JYPE still hasn't given Itzy their individual IG accounts - JYPE is not the best company for solo activities since the ghost of Suzy still haunts him in this sleep!!!

TWICE didn't need Solos and to be honest, they still don't because it looks sad when that they are split. Nayeon, JiHyo and MiSaMo are making a lot more money than the rest of the members whom can't work due to those members taking up the time that TWICE would have had Comebacks and Concerts.

The opportunity for members in a Group to earn money is limited so I've never understood the need for TWICE to have Solo debuts or Sub Unit debuts when they were cashing in well.

But as we are on this course then JYPE should be giving Tzuyu a solo debut before their 10th Anniversary, eeerrrrr..... that's if she wants it

• TWICE didn't need Solos and to be honest, they still don't because it looks sad when that they are split. Nayeon, JiHyo and MiSaMo are making a lot more money than the rest of the members whom can't work due to those members taking up the time that TWICE would have had Comebacks and Concerts.

The opportunity for members in a Group to earn money is limited so I've never understood the need for TWICE to have Solo debuts or Sub Unit debuts when they were cashing in well.

But as we are on this course then JYPE should be giving Tzuyu a solo debut before their 10th Anniversary, eeerrrrr..... that's if she wants it

Twice have had a wild amount of comebacks, so I am happy they get a bit of a break from that.

Pretty sure that all the members of Twice have plenty of money. This is the best selling girl group of all time.

• TWICE didn't need Solos and to be honest, they still don't because it looks sad when that they are split. Nayeon, JiHyo and MiSaMo are making a lot more money than the rest of the members whom can't work due to those members taking up the time that TWICE would have had Comebacks and Concerts.

I think I've had this discussion with you before my friend but it's not just solo music but ANY solo activities

it's not solo music but individual cfs/acting/hell their own IG accounts...etc etc

just look at the amount of deals from cfs the members have

Twice:

Oishi Philippines

Family Mart Japan (for christmas)

Lotte Duty Free Korea

Scarlett Whitening Indonesia

Pearly Gates Korea

Lux Japan

Sana:

Graff

Espoir

Missha Beauty

YSL Beauty Japan

Prada

Momo:

Miu Miu Japan

Onitsuka Tiger Japan

Mediqtto Japan

Wonjungyo Japan

Nayeon:

Tommy Jeans

Givenchy Beauty

Swarovski Muse

Healing Bird

Tzuyu:

Visee Global Ambassador

Zooc Korea

Ponds Indonesia

Chaeyoung:

Etro Japan

CipiCipi Japan

Dahyun:

Michael Kors Global Ambassador

Apieu

Jihyo:

MilkTouch

Outdoor Research

Mina:

SK-II

MiSaMo:

Google Lens Japan

Sponsorship (brands they wore consistently in the airport / official events) & Magazine ads:

Louis Vuitton - Nayeon

Fendi - Mina

Boucheron - Mina

Max Mara - Tzuyu photoshoot for Harper Japan

Hogan - Jihyo's photoshoot for marie claire korea

Samsung - Jeongyeon

that was from reddit so take it with a grain of salt

oh and guess what they were all from year 7 onwards

and guess what that was from around 1-2 years when JYP allowed them to have them

you wanna tell me that the members didn't want ANY solo activities from years 1-6???? or that JYP wouldn't allow them???

• Couldn't do anything for their actual soloists too. The division currently managing Day6 used to be filled with super talented singers but they all left. almost at the same time. JYP is probably the only Big 3 where the ones that leave are almost guaranteed to do better without them

What's craziest is every time a JYP idol ever spoke up about the mismanagement, they were silenced. Completely. Deleted the post, forced retraction and apology and then their sns usually got deleted

I heard about that that a lot of their solo artists or even former group artists left the company...

do you have names???

• Suzy's ghost wouldn't haunt him if she wasn't given a good solo push?

I really hope JYP can do better for those ladies.

And for SM, delaying MVs, poor airport security at times isn't much if they are giving their idols good solo careers. I think they learned from Snsd so they treat RV better even though there's room for improvement. YG is just the worst at solo careers.

right and at that time (I wasn't around) but to my knowledge suzy got too big for the group and thus JYP changed tracks with his later GG (not sure for the BG since don't really follow them)

absolutely but itzy still don't have theirs and well nmixx certainly don't have theirs yet

I don't know the history of snsd vs early rv treatment since I wasn't around then but I trust your judgment from back then

hmmm...not 100% sure about that I would put YG slightly above JYPE when it comes to solo careers (and remember solo activities is not just music!!! lol)

If you're talking about the group name, since the company created the group, the company can own the group name until all the members leave. If the members decide to continue as a group under a different company, the name can be transferred; if the group doesn't continue, the company will continue to own the trademark.

If you're talking about individual names, there's such a thing as a temporary trademark, which allows the company to use the performer's name for a certain purpose for a certain period; the best examples of this are tour merchandise.

• If you're talking about the group name, since the company created the group, the company can own the group name until all the members leave. If the members decide to continue as a group under a different company, the name can be transferred; if the group doesn't continue, the company will continue to own the trademark.

If you're talking about individual names, there's such a thing as a temporary trademark, which allows the company to use the performer's name for a certain purpose for a certain period; the best examples of this are tour merchandise.

I meant individual name yes

Thanks for reply. Interesting

。・:*˚:✧。  :borahae::borahae: 。・:*˚:✧。⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩

• I heard about that that a lot of their solo artists or even former group artists left the company...

do you have names???

Their entire acting division along with Suzy

Baek Yerin, Jamie, Baek A Yeon, Bernard Park (he really had a grudge against the KpopStar Winners or something), Dae6 Jae, all of GOT7, half of 2pm and obviously all of wonder girls, miss a,

I think Twice is the first group with all original members to make it to contract renewal

• Lisa and Jennie have the most potential to have a successful career I hope neither of them signed to YG.

They deserve promo with high quality songwriters and producers.

Your wish came true. Congrats.

• sonemariam

Changed the title of the thread from “Lisa should do music under YG if music is not her priority.” to “I saw this coming. I knew that Lisa would only re-sign with YG for the BP brand..”.

Legally they are entitled to it as all members left, they had no issues with claiming it from JYPE

If all the members of the group leave the company the group had a contract with, that group can claim all rights entitled to them that the company holds, except for some Music that is held by the original copyright owners.

This is why SME keep at least 1 member under contract so they can keep the trademark for the whole group, under the current contract with BP, the members are restricted from doing any BP song due to YGE still holding the contract for their group activities.

JYPE is one of the worst companies when it comes to solo activities (twice had effectively) no solo activities in their first 6 years - hell they didn't even get individual IG accounts until their seventh year (SKZ didn't get it until this year their fifth) JYPE still hasn't given Itzy their individual IG accounts - JYPE is not the best company for solo activities since the ghost of Suzy still haunts him in this sleep!!!

That's give and take, JYPE earns far more money having a group comeback than any money that TWICE Soloist have. Additionally, TWICE members get a huge loss in earnings when Solo and SubUnit debut as all TWICE activity is put on hold except for those Soloist and SubUnits that get a massive payout.

Individual IG accounts is just more work for Managers to monitor as they have to ensure that members don't post something stupid which Nayeon (illegal program for music and watching movies) has done in the past for their Team IG. Also, posting too much on Social Networks gives an impression that you're unemployed

TWICE were restricted from VLive (Realtime streaming platform) because they were doing that instead of resting, much the same as Bang Chan was with his channel and we know how busy both were with just their normal Idol activities.

In fact, most "individual social accounts" are boring impersonal accounts posting a random photo or quote that a bot can do. And as you usually have to know the group to stan an individual that would still buy the group merchandise, there isn't really a lot of marketing value to them.

• That's give and take, JYPE earns far more money having a group comeback than any money that TWICE Soloist have. Additionally, TWICE members get a huge loss in earnings when Solo and SubUnit debut as all TWICE activity is put on hold except for those Soloist and SubUnits that get a massive payout.

Individual IG accounts is just more work for Managers to monitor as they have to ensure that members don't post something stupid which Nayeon (illegal program for music and watching movies) has done in the past for their Team IG. Also, posting too much on Social Networks gives an impression that you're unemployed

TWICE were restricted from VLive (Realtime streaming platform) because they were doing that instead of resting, much the same as Bang Chan was with his channel and we know how busy both were with just their normal Idol activities.

In fact, most "individual social accounts" are boring impersonal accounts posting a random photo or quote that a bot can do. And as you usually have to know the group to stan an individual that would still buy the group merchandise, there isn't really a lot of marketing value to them.

I think I've said this before my friend...

just look at the amount of solo activities twice members have from 2022 to now...it's staggering and you're telling me that the members suddenly in year 7 went on I think we should have solo activities now? the only reason was because JYP prevented them from having such...

yes JYP gets more money from group releases and group cfs and group activities which is exactly the reason I said JYP is crap when it comes to solo activities for the members...

and yes some members will obviously get less cfs and less solo activities than others but that's how the world works...it't not some fairness fairy goes "all nine members will get an equal amount of solo music releases and cfs and other activities" some members are going to be more popular than others and get more deals but why hold those members back?

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!