What happened to Park Bogum?

• Official Post

I think he was really everywhere at his peak, CFs, interviews, etc. Could be considered some type of Nation's Little Brother(similar to IU) purely because of how popular he was. I think Reply 1988 was a main factor in his popularity but that's a different story ig.

Now I barely see anyone talking about him eye-

I know he enlisted a few months ago, but I didn't see many people talk about that either. I know Encounter with Song Hyekyo was really popular so won't doubt that...but were people even talking about Record Of Youth or was I just sleeping under a rock?

It seems like other actors like Park Seojoon and Kim Soohyun are more popular than Park Bogum these days. :whatr:

• Record of Youth was hella boring, it started of well but towards the end it seems like the director didn’t know what to do with the Show. It was bad script-writing and not even the top cast was able to safe it.

There wasn’t much news about him enlisting to the military because he kept it very private, so that fans won’t find out and gather to see him because of Covid 19. At least that’s what I heard, so no press there either.

• I think Record of Youth was Park Bogum's way of saying goodbye to his fans,

like his love relationship in the series was supposed to be a reference to how his fans love him

it gave me a feeling like this show is about his personal journey like he must enlist when he is very, very popular and he knows that he might lose everything because of it, that people might forget him

Some people say it flopped etc. as far as I remember it had ratings near 9 percent nationwide, and there are many kdrama which struggle to have even 4 or 5 on average...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I liked the first episodes, but yeah like a lot of drama's it started getting boring after a few episodes. Also maybe spoiler:

• it didn't flop ratings wise, but apparently, it wasn't a good show

on mydramalist it has 7.6 rating, and everyone who watched backstreet rookie (7.7), melting me softly (7.6) and abyss (7.8) can guess how terrible the show must have been :angryr:

(these are my recommendation on what to never watch, do something better with your time).

he is lucky he enlisted, he didn't have to read negative comments

Is Backstreet Rookie that bad ? I was planning on watching it next. I usually don’t trust bad reviews, but with K-Dramas people seem to be right in most cases.

• I think Kim Soo Hyun really much popular than him. Park Bo Gum become popular because of that one drama, I don't know what drama is that, but I think he is still hit and miss. I also think it depend on his drama too :-D

• Is Backstreet Rookie that bad ? I was planning on watching it next. I usually don’t trust bad reviews, but with K-Dramas people seem to be right in most cases.

i have a three episode rule before deciding if i'm dropping the show or not. i dropped melting me softly after two, abyss after two, and backstreat rookie after one (yes, this one is really special). i'm someone who thinks only cultural appreciation exists unless the culture is mocked, well, this belongs to the "unless it's mocked" category. let us proceed.

f218761b14f0dc9a690461ddd3aaf60101bbb1b0r1-740-370v2_hq.jpg

this is the filter that was used, intentionally or not the actor/character looks darker than he really is (perhaps they toned it down later, i really don't know). dreads are portrayed as something dirty, in one scene flies were buzzing over his head.

2nd issue. in one scene the female lead, at that time a minor in school uniform (kim you jung), asked the male lead to buy her cigarettes (iirc correctly he refused), and a few moments later she kissed him without his permission.

and all of this in just the pilot.

there was so much controversy around this series. it's an adaptation of the r rated webtoon but the show was rated 15+, and due to age-inappropriate scenes KCSC issued a warning. there's a 12 years gap between the leads and due to controversy they didn't even share a (consensual) kiss. in clean with passion there was also a 12 year gap between her and the male lead and they had lots of kisses. the show was either terrible and nobody watched it or it wasn't problematic. kim you jung's male lead in her upcoming drama will be her age. finally. i'm tired of older men/young girls stories.

long story short, don't waste your time.

• Damn... well thank you

• This man has always been bigger and more popular than Park Bogum... isnt he the highest pay actor in Korea?

• I just wanted to add, Bogum is in Seobok (2021) and going to be in Wonderland (2021), so i hope for the best when he comes back in 2022

"무중력으로 다시 수면으로 떠오를 때, 나는 다른 사람이되는 상상을한다" - 쿠사나기 모토코 (1995)

• He is in the top 3 favorite actors TT I watched almost all the dramas where he is playing and I have to admit that most of them are boring, except Reply and Love in the Moonlight.

I waited for Encounter for months and I dropped it after 3 episodes, that's how bad it was. I watched and endured Hello Monster for him too, it was extremely boring,,, Same for ROY. I am pretty disappointed, he received pretty bad projects.

Also, he received a lot of hate comments after Encounter because he played with SHK and people found out later that he and SJK were friends which were a little bit awkward for some fans to watch it. TBH, idk why he accepted that role, it was such a big mistake,,,

• I watched him in Love in the Moonlight and I love that drama. But it doesn't trigger me to watch any other drama of his. Maybe cos I feel like his cute boy face will limit the type of characters that he can play.

Encounter and Record of Youth doesn't seem like interesting dramas to me. So, I didn't even give it a chance.

Perhaps he need to choose better dramas.

I wasn't into Kim Soo Hyun as well but I changed my mind after I watched It's Okay Not to be Okay. <3

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!