Snoop Dog telling us what we already know. Streaming brings no money to musicians and writers.

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

FvPrEocacAAXbEN?format=jpg&name=large

• After the label basically pours all money into payola for charting, none of the musicians gets a dime really. So I'm not surprised the same is happening for writers with streaming also being the standard for hit tv shows.

• I just saw a video by a Youtuber who said he made 1 song in 2022 and Spotify payed him around 7.900€ He said he pays 581€ on taxes from this and 20% go to his music company. The song he released had around 2.7 million streams btw

that dude earned around 480€ a month from this

Now imagine how much it is for KPop-groups when the companies sometimes take 80% of the money earned by Spotify

So let's imagine you have a group who makes 10x of the streams cause they have a bit more music on Spotify so 79.000€ than 80% goes to the company. That means the group has 15800€ left. Now think of the taxes, let's say it's 5810€ than they have around 9900€ left. Now think of it as a 6 member group. That means each member gets 1650€ and that means at the end that every member earns 137,50€ a month from the streams.

But thats not much for the artists cause most of them despite earning money from CD sales, apearing on TV, going on concerts etc. need to give a lot away. That means even if the company allready gets most of the provites, the idols themself still have to give most of their money away to the company cause they claim the idol can't live or work for free. That means becoming an idol-trainee puts you into a dept instead of that you get payed for your work as like people in other jobs would have cause normaly a work-trainee is payed for what they do, but in KPop the CEO can for example say "You ow me 20.000€ cause I payed your apartment, the rent of the studio, to film your MV, your vocal trainer, your food, ... " and so on and than you need ages to be able to get rid of this dept before you can say you might make enough money

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• We all know that it's always been that the industry takes a bigger cut, but the scales have become more and more imbalanced. It's not only streaming that's not sustainable. Yet the industry giants, who benefit most from this, will try to hold on to industry control for as long as they can. From "deals" that pretend to be more to the advantage of writers and musicians through to outright bullying. Damn I feel like WhyKnock

• Musicians (at least in the West) get paid for live performances. Selling of recorded music is essentially a marketing channel providing little or no direct revenue to the artist. Snoop is well aware of this.

• I thought this was already well known?

It is a wonder when kpop fans hype "viral" songs when those are usually the ones where all money being made is going into making it viral.

That's not brag worthy. Having an actual fanbase willing to chuck money at you is the best parameter of success for musicians.

Anyway saying otherwise is just in it for fanwars.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!