Cupid is Kpop's most viral song since Gangnam Style; agree or not ?

• What do you think 89

1. Yes (46) 52%
    2. No (43) 48%

Obviously not near its level as GS is one of the most viral songs ever, but in terms of natural growth over time I don't see what else beats it.

Now that it's starting to get radio play it's probably still a few weeks away from peaking. Even just looking at it from an anecdotal pov as someone in Europe where kpop is still not very prominent it seems clear to me.

1. No, Dynamite is not a more viral song. It went straight to number in the US through fandom effort and got a huge push. In terms of outside kpop places you would hear it more on pushed Samsung adverts than radio. People enjoyed the song but it's not a viral song in the slightest that went from nothing to something big, it was like most other pop hits from popular artists. Pushed right to the top on release.
    2. People naming songs like D4, Bang Bang Bang, Love Scenario (???), HYLT, Bhoom Bhoom etc whilst also saying Cupid is only popular in the west....just what? None of those songs were as popular as Cupid is and were actually much more region specific than Cupid. On Spotify Cupid is currently no.2 in PH, 4 in Indonesia, 1 in Malaysia & Singapore etc. Top 10 in Australia, NZ and Canada, 15th in the UK one of the most difficult markets for kpop. So no, it's not just popular in the west.
    3. Why on earth is knowing the artist or what they look like relevant in this instance? People knew Psy because the video was the viral aspect of it and also the choreo. Cupid is driven by people enjoying the song and not the visual or choreo outlet. How many of the biggest one hit wonders have songs people know but people won't know the artist/what they look like?

(P/S: post is directly taken from reddit and i wonder whats everyone's opinion regarding to this topic)

r/kpopthoughts on Reddit: Cupid is Kpop's most viral song since Gangnam Style
    Posted by u/IndependentReason467 - 500 votes and 344 comments
    www.reddit.com

• I gave it a listen recently but it's not really my thing but other people seem to really like it so goof for them

in terms of virality is it viral around the world or in korea or outside korea or what?

• I gave it a listen recently but it's not really my thing but other people seem to really like it so goof for them

in terms of virality is it viral around the world or in korea or outside korea or what?

viral around the world, it is doing good in Korea, but not really viral since the popular version is English :/

• wait English? do they have an original and english version?

interesting

Twin version is the viral one. It have only two members and no rap etc..

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Why on earth is knowing the artist or what they look like relevant in this instance? People knew Psy because the video was the viral aspect of it and also the choreo. Cupid is driven by people enjoying the song and not the visual or choreo outlet. How many of the biggest one hit wonders have songs people know but people won't know the artist/what they look like?

because only the song being popular means nothing to the artist. They need to becoming fans.

An artist needs money to survive, the most money maker is always touring + album sales, streams are peanuts.

So what if they can't make another hit-song, they will struggle.

"How many of the biggest one-hit wonders have songs people know but people won't know the artist/what they look like?"

Many due to the popularity of TikTok,

Example: Heat Waves by Glass Animal or the ABCDFU song, I don't know the artist's name.

• wait English? do they have an original and english version?

Yes, this is the Korean lyric ver

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is their Twin ver, the English lyric (and excluding the rap verse)

• Twin version is the viral one. It have only two members and no rap etc..

External Content youtu.be

I didn't realise this existed (I was technically living under a rock for a month so not surprised)...

hmmm..again good for them time will tell if they are a one hit wonder aka brave girls or if they rise above it

• I didn't realise this existed (I was technically living under a rock for a month so not surprised)...

hmmm..again good for them time will tell if they are a one hit wonder aka brave girls or if they rise above it

Only time will tell can company use that success for their advantage.

• Only time will tell can company use that success for their advantage.

and even if they do will the public go for that...

are the public interested because it's a good song or will they be interested in the group behind the song...

I mean nugu groups (I assume 5050 (can I write 5050?) is nugu?) have an extraordinary hurdle to overcome in order to reach any sort of traction

• and even if they do will the public go for that...

are the public interested because it's a good song or will they be interested in the group behind the song...

I mean nugu groups (I assume 5050 (can I write 5050?) is nugu?) have an extraordinary hurdle to overcome in order to reach any sort of traction

It is unlikely any of their comeback will reach cupid level success, but they could easily become mid tier group imo.

• and even if they do will the public go for that...

The thing is, Koreans GP didn't pay them that much attention on the first release.

It's the International GP that loved their songs (hence the reason why they are charting really high on intl charts and spotify)

and yes, it's because of the song, not the group.

and it's blowing up because this song is viral on tiktok actually.

(that's why I'm hoping that at least 5-10% of their monthly listener could be converted as their new fans)

• I don't know anyone that knows the song yet who is not a Kpop fan, but I think it might be close to it or will be soon. Am recommending it as I absolutely love the song.

Doesn't seem OP wants any discussion though, by the way the first post is written.

• It is unlikely any of their comeback will reach cupid level success, but they could easily become mid tier group imo.

aim for mid tier huh?

what are their sales numbers like if you guys know?

so this is one where the I-fans like it more than the K-fans - interesting

• aim for mid tier huh?

what are their sales numbers like if you guys know?

so this is one where the I-fans like it more than the K-fans - interesting

pasted-from-clipboard.png

External Content twitter.com

• I don't know anyone that knows the song yet who is not a Kpop fan, but I think it might be close to it or will be soon. Am recommending it as I absolutely love the song.

Doesn't seem OP wants any discussion though, by the way the first post is written.

Lol yeah, Reddit Kpop fans have a way of continuously downplaying every single one of BTS’ successes. It’s not a surprise.

Despite the Samsung adverts, Dynamite grew rapidly and reached new streaming peaks in other countries too, some of them being weeks and months down the line, the most obvious example being Japan.

The initial assumption was that J-fans were working really hard to push the song but fan efforts simply don’t bring songs brand new streaming peaks every week for months. It was being covered in school talent shows and karaokes there too, surpassing TWICE’s J-Hot 100 longevity (something BTS never managed to achieve with their Korean & Japanese songs).

You can celebrate and have a thorough discussion on Cupid’s viral success (which is true) but this constant obsession with trying to rewrite history and assert that BTS are the only top group to have *never* had hit songs in their entire 10-year career is just downright disingenuous at this point.

• We'll see, its still very much a tiktok hit/social media hit. Only reason I knew of the song was because ppl on akp were talking about and I'm not on tiktok much. A viral hit should be something you can hear no matter where you are. Say So is a tiktok hit that actually became a proper viral song outside of the app. I disagree with Dynamite though because it played everywhere, I have heard it being played in public multiple times and its played on some of the biggest tv shows. You may not consider that "viral" but I think its still great exposure.

• We'll see, it’s still very much a tiktok hit/social media hit. Only reason I knew of the song was because ppl on akp were talking about and I'm not on tiktok much. A viral hit should be something you can hear no matter where you are. Say So is a tiktok hit that actually became a proper viral song outside of the app. I disagree with Dynamite though because it played everywhere, I have heard it being played in public multiple times and it’s played on some of the biggest tv shows. You may not consider that "viral" but I think it’s still great exposure.

The song was even used as backing tracks to school parties, New Year’s Eve broadcasts and (non-Samsung) TV commercials in several countries back in 2020, hence why it was added to past years’ New Year’s playlists.

I’ve seen it being used in locals’ IG Reels and a mobile app ad too.

Whatever support it got from its US label doesn’t apply to its success outside the country.

• The song was even used as backing tracks to school parties, New Year’s Eve broadcasts and (non-Samsung) TV commercials in several countries back in 2020, hence why it was added to past years’ New Year’s playlists.

I’ve seen it being used in locals’ IG Reels and a mobile app ad too.

Whatever support it got from its US label doesn’t apply to its success outside the country.

Exactly! College bands have played Dynamite at local sports events too. I heard Dynamite in my dentist office lol! The song was really everywhere at its peak. Also funny how radio is being consider more important than commercials. The same commercials companies pay big money to get put on the air because of the millions who will see it.

• I tend to agree. It's impressive how one viral song allowed a nugu group to reach +25 million listeners on Spotify and don't get me started on how viral it is on Tiktok.

However, as someone mentioned before, Cupid's success is as of now limited to social media but I can see it becoming popular among locals too.

It's still nowhere near Gangnam Style but it takes the 2nd place

• I think this is the first time people around me know a kpop song before I know about it since gangnam style.

My friends had it in their playlists but most of them don't even know its a kpop song.

Hopefully company can bring some attention from the song to the group itself, otherwise it will be jsrd to secure long term popularity.

• Dynamite was marketed like crazy, most Armys recognize this. It wasnt viral at all, it had a huge marketing campaign behind it. It should still be considered 10x more successful than Cupid so far, but the question is about virality not overall success. Literally NOBODY knew who this group was, even Kpop fans themselves had no clue, many actually STILL dont lol. But we all know the song. That is the very definition of virality, at least as it relates to a song. Everyone knew who BTS was when Dynamite hit big.

• Lol @ the people thinking Dynamite is a global hit

It made no noise outside of the US and Korea but you guys love to pretend like American charts represents global success.

US and Korea?

One of its biggest countries where Dynamite unexpectedly blew up was Japan (none of their own Korean or Japanese songs have ever replicated this success since), and that wasn’t even the target market for the song.

I’m not from either of those countries you mentioned and even I’ve heard and seen it being used and played in public in my own country. It’s basically the main song they’re known for outside of Kpop circles.

• US and Korea?

One of its biggest countries where Dynamite unexpectedly blew up was Japan (none of their own Korean or Japanese songs have ever replicated this success since), and that wasn’t even the target market for the song.

I’m not from either of those countries you mentioned and even I’ve heard and seen it being used and played in public in my own country. It’s basically the main song they’re known for outside of Kpop circles.

3 countries still do not account for global success.

I have heard plenty of Kpop songs played on the radio or on TV but I'm not delusional enough to think that they went viral like Gangnam Style and Cupid did. Dynamite's initial success is the result of mass streaming and advertizing anyway, call it a manifactured hit song if you will.

• 3 countries still do not account for global success.

I have heard plenty of Kpop songs played on the radio or on TV but I'm not delusional enough to think that they went viral like Gangnam Style and Cupid did. Dynamite's initial success is the result of mass streaming and advertizing anyway, call it a manifactured hit song if you will.

Dynamite became the most streamed song in Global AM at the end of 2021

I repeat GLOBAL, it means more than 3 countries.

Also, talk about initial success all you want but the higher peaks were achieved later, truly a long-sustained HIT.

The biggest in kpop in the last decade

:pepelove2:

⟭⟬ ARTIST OF THE YEAR ⟭⟬

AWARDS-AMERICAN-MUSIC--97_1637613102609_1637613116956.JPG

• The definition of virality is not the artist being know or unknown, it's the engagement, specially on social media. For instance, Beyoncé was already a household name when Single Ladies dance went viral. She already had a smash hit released one week before, and she had another one right away (Halo), Halo sold more and have more streams and overall is the most memorable, but Single Ladies is the viral song because there are a shit tons of dance covers popping up all over YouTube and social media

Cupid is a huge viral because engagement in social media, mainly tik tok, is monstrous.

It has 1.5 million videos already using the song, in barely 5 months. Give it a year and it will surpass 2.4 million from Dynamite

So yeah, it's the second biggest kpop viral song

• Dynamite was marketed like crazy, most Armys recognize this. It wasnt viral at all, it had a huge marketing campaign behind it. It should still be considered 10x more successful than Cupid so far, but the question is about virality not overall success. Literally NOBODY knew who this group was, even Kpop fans themselves had no clue, many actually STILL dont lol. But we all know the song. That is the very definition of virality, at least as it relates to a song. Everyone knew who BTS was when Dynamite hit big.

BTS is already big even before dynamite. I can recalled that the first BTS song that had been singed on Western event was Blood, Sweat, and Tears. Fifty fifty had just walking it's baby step on this industry and yes without any backing from huge capital, they might be in hurdle but we all know BTS also started from rags.

• It's crazy how nobody cares about 'kpop's biggest song of the last decade' only 3 years after its release

• It’s true. I was at the comic expo here in Canada and Cupid was playing and while we were standing for our foods people were singing and humming to it lol. Even at the gym I go to had Cupid playing on tv screens. Like people who know nothing of K-pop know this song. This song is huge and people saying otherwise are lying.

tumblr_nzies3E9yh1uf1itwo1_500.gif

LORD & SAVIOR PARK JIHYO | ITZY | YUKIKA | RUANN | | TWICE | BRAVE GIRLS | APRIL | FROMIS_9 | TOMMY FEBRUARY6

• Lol @ the people thinking Dynamite is a global hit

It made no noise outside of the US and Korea but you guys love to pretend like American charts represents global success.

lies I live in central europe and it was everywhere here I heard it multple times a day in a the radio like in supermarkets clothing shops etc.

also in multple ads on tv (never heard kpop in ads before)

they also used it as a bgm in news segments a lot

hell last time I was in Rossmann I heard dynamite then My universe playing after the other

• This thread contains 75 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!