Out of genuine curiosity is seventeen(or you can extend this question to broader kpop as well) really that big

• Look I can’t be the only one thinking that right 😭

Anyway this might be taken as a bashing post and I apologize in advance if that’s the case

But wtf is up with sales 😭

When BTS sold 4 million I was like yeah that makes sense. When groups started selling 1 million on average I was like yeah kpop has grown a lot

But we went from one and two million to now FOUR MILLION?

INSERT THATS ENOUGH SLICES MEME.

Is seventeen that big?

Is KPOP that big? Because if 17 can other groups will also follow in some 1-2 years when their popularity rises

But man I can’t I just can’t four million sales is going to become something that’s gonna be a thing in kpop eye- wtf 😭😭

• Seventeen has been the #2 BG for a long time now. They may not have as many western stans but yeah.

Girl groups are smashing the records on albums by selling 1-2 million now, so it's honestly surprising it took them so long. Within the next few years, we should be seeing more bgs crossing into BTS's old numbers

Complex is over-rated, Ill go up higher and shine brighter than anyone else

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• i grew up with svt (i listen to them since debut, but only now i can afford their merch) and their revenue in concerts explain that carats are indeed big in number.

dontwannacry04 can explain better with stats, i guess.

Their fandom and concert is impressive and they have a strong hold in Japan and gaining a lot in other parts of the world like west.

But FOUR MILLION seems like an unfathomable amount fr fr fr

• Seventeen has been the #2 BG for a long time now. They may not have as many western stans but yeah.

Girl groups are smashing the records on albums by selling 1-2 million now, so it's honestly surprising it took them so long. Within the next few years, we should be seeing more bgs crossing into BTS's old numbers

Yeah that’s why I’m so surprised actually that kpop is really that big lol it’s not just about 17 it’s more like that’s the direction kpop is heading in and that’s insane.

And idk tbh for me it’s dubious I can’t convince myself it’s real lol.

• Yeah that’s why I’m so surprised actually that kpop is really that big lol it’s not just about 17 it’s more like that’s the direction kpop is heading in and that’s insane.

And idk tbh for me it’s dubious I can’t convince myself it’s real lol.

Yep in a few years we'll need a giant plot of land to dump all those bulk bought albums lmao

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• When BTS sold 4 million or whatever they had a a huge amount of YouTube views and Spotify listeners and records on Japan digital charts and Chinese charts and weibo etc

Does seventeen have that? That’s my question I guess 😭

Their cbars have ordered 1m+ for this release and their last Japanese release sold 765k+, the fourth highest ever for a kpop group.

They have have a very strong album buying base which when combined with number of versions… :pepe-narrow-eyes:

• Their cbars have ordered 1m+ for this release and their last Japanese release sold 765k+, the fourth highest ever for a kpop group.

They have have a very strong album buying base which when combined with number of versions… :pepe-narrow-eyes:

Do they also have strong QQ or weibo or some other Chinese presence? I haven’t been following the Chinese space closely since 2018 so I don’t know much about it.

• Their sales has been steadily increasing and are past 3 million mark, 4 million was only the natural path following I guess

They have more Spotify streams than TxT, EXO, NCT... actually more than any Boygroup other than BTS and Stray Kids (the later is probably going to surpass 4 million eventually)

All their title tracks since 2021 has been reaching top 10 on circle digital charts, meaning as niche as Boygroup music can be they are the few who has some following in Korea. Their current unit (BSS) has a song casually charting on Melon top 15 for 2 months already

And of course their Chinese and Japanese fandoms are just huge. Their last album sold over 1 million copies in Japan alone, mind-blowing right? This number can only be reached by hyped Japanese boygroups and BTS

They are a pretty old group with no major scandals, no member left, no member in military. They just had every working for them to reach this status late in their career

So yeah, they are that popular

• The eternal of who is even listening to their music but maybe that isn't the right one

It's not about the music, I can't image anybody actually buying the album but it's there unless they lie

• Finally a place I can use this Woozi laughing meme lol. (And I totally agree with you about the sales things).

IMG_298A7EB1ACCD-1.jpeg

So from my perspective and my own experience, a lot of CARAT's found SVT around their highschool years, now that many of us are entering college I think we are a little more reasonable, and better when it comes to not only promoting them but buying albums.

Tbh, I don't collect albums at all, I only have 4 (1 DPR, 1 BAP, 1 BE'O and 1 Pentagon). So I'm probably not the best person to answer this but I do think album sales are definitely crazy.

With each year and each promotion, our fanbase def grows to say the least. (9M Subs on SVT's YouTube Channel and still growing)

• Makes sense I guess

I mean even the top rookie group of this year allready sold 100K at debut while the top rookie from 10 years ago would've probably just be like 50K sales

everything is growing tho (except for the few acts whos company dosn't menages to promote them right)

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• And idk tbh for me it’s dubious I can’t convince myself it’s real lol.

Me trying to comprehend how stray kids is a thing now and where these 4th gen bg stans are coming from :exit-pepe:

• The thing about carats that I noticed, they are not loud about seventeen’s achievements and they don’t egg other fandoms saying their fave surpass anyone. They are just enjoying the ride. This make others assume that seventeen is average..

As for me, I’m not surprised, I’ve seen seventeen popularity rise over time. They are consistent. I’m very happy for seventeen and carats, congratulations!!

• Sorry, but this is about to turn into an essay, so open at your own caution.

If you wanna blame anyone for this lengthy block of text, you can blame xoxoshawol for summoning me here. 🫶

• I knew I could count on you! :red-heart:

• im honestly not surprised at all.

They are the 2nd biggest boygroup afterall. They are one of handful BG that can chart decently + they have huge chinese+japanese support.

If anyone were to do 4mil, it will either be Seventeen or BP (much harder for GGs to be honest, 3 mil is already good enough)

• The thing about carats that I noticed, they are not loud about seventeen’s achievements and they don’t egg other fandoms saying their fave surpass anyone. They are just enjoying the ride. This make others assume that seventeen is average..

As for me, I’m not surprised, I’ve seen seventeen popularity rise over time. They are consistent. I’m very happy for seventeen and carats, congratulations!!

I guess you haven't seen my posts yet :teeheek:

• If GGs can manage to sell over 2M copies now, it's really not surprising big BGs can reach double numbers tbh. Maybe because it's the same number as BTS's biggest album makes you think it's too big of a number but BTS hit that number before the pandemic and since then they haven't released any albums with more than 3 versions. Proof which is an anthology album with only 2 versions and hella expensive. If BTS have normal albums roll-outs as other BGs now, they would definitely hit much bigger number than that record.

That being said, SVT also have big Chinese and Japanese fandoms where people bulk buy albums the most. They also have 2-3 frequent comebacks every year so they can grow the numbers gradually plus very good promos. And now that BTS have to enlist, Hybe are definitely pushing them to have that best selling album title.

I also predict EXO's comeback is gonna do numbers later because they're also one of those BGs with established fanbases all over Asia but we'll see.

It has nothing to do with fans being loud. I don’t follow any fandom that closely so I have no idea what achievement anyone has. I never assumed 17 was average

Imo 4 million sales just seems extraordinarily unbelievable for kpop lol.

• I wish I could say any of the things listed here justifies 4 million but it really doesn’t. These are achievements for a successful kpop group no doubt. But nothing here is so extra ordinary that I can be convinced they can shoot up to 4 million.

With these type of stats in my head kpop groups can get like 2-2.5mil sales. More than that well. Idk where the numbers are coming from. Doesn’t mean it’s not legitimate just that I don’t understand where the numbers are coming from in my head lol.

• IMO kpop shipping has gone up by many folds.

That is stores selling kpop around the world have really shot up. Hence the stock pre orders have also gone up.

Availability is really key I suppose.

That’s the only explanation I have so far in my head that makes sense lol.

• I know nothing about sales and charts, but from what I watch from 4th gen contents, seventeen is one of the groups that they looked up upon. Na PD also acknowledge their variety show skills, meaning that they might had numerous viral funny clips in Korea.

Maybe they don't seem to be big to us because outside media only have many post for the biggest group only.

Like seventeen might not be the #1, but they are might be on the top 5 or top 10.

Also oomf sells kpop merch and she got many orders for seventeen stuff (we lived outside korea)

• If someone is selling 4 million albums I expect some 20 million Spotify listeners, huge YouTube views and other metrics like that. 😭

Anyway if the answer is 17 fans are more dedicated I wouldn’t known about it but that might be the case.

• I wish I could say any of the things listed here justifies 4 million but it really doesn’t. These are achievements for a successful kpop group no doubt. But nothing here is so extra ordinary that I can be convinced they can shoot up to 4 million.

With these type of stats in my head kpop groups can get like 2-2.5mil sales. More than that well. Idk where the numbers are coming from. Doesn’t mean it’s not legitimate just that I don’t understand where the numbers are coming from in my head lol.

Honestly, that could be said about 1M and 2M sales benchmarks as well that Kpop groups are achieving, and then we all can sit here all day grasping at straws. Though, I get where you’re coming from. However, it’s not that these achievements “justify” their 4M preorder sales, rather it broadens one’s perspective and view on how rapidly they are growing their fanbase and how big they’ve gotten. It’s an indication of their success and growth. There is a reason, Cj&EM had their eyes set on Seventeen, but luckily, Hybe managed to acquire them first.

• This thread contains 65 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!