Would idol politics matter if you stan/support them?

• Would idol politics matter if you stan/support them? 14

1. Yes. If they support conservative/right wing/Trump political ideologies I wouldn’t stan (7) 50%
    2. No. Only their “music” matters if I stan or not (music meaning other things) (7) 50%

Let’s say you found certain idols were right wing, would you still stan them?

A lot of young Korean males are right wing, these could very likely include your biases

Why South Korea’s young men are turning conservative
    The internet is playing a key role in spreading a new wave of right-wing conservatism among South Korea's young men, say University of Melbourne experts.
    pursuit.unimelb.edu.au

• Yes....

If I knew someone I biased was a right-wing person, I'd probably drop them from my bias list, even if I continued to listen to the group.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Maybe if they were a nutjob left-wing communist, the ideology that has taken more lives than any other in history.

Don't forget the pedo/groomer stuff those types are always pushing.

• I don't have time to undrestand the current political parties of SK and what they stand for.

So unless it's sth extreme that they openly support, I can't be bothered.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• If they do not agree with me 100% I will cancel your faves.

• Politics and kpop should never mix

:annoyedk:

They do because unfortunately the people you stan are human Just like you and hold different beliefs and ideology and political views about their own lives the experiences they have in the area of the world they live in as well as that of their home country, state city and neighborhood. That have the same wants, needs,emotions, question's and insecurities you have.

Remember these things before anyone judges an idol. It's better to try and understand others than it is to blindly push them away because often times is easy to persuade someone to your point of view if you embrace them rather than push them

• Kind of a tough question tbh

In my real world and other places online I'm quite leftist (in an Australian context) and scrappy about it. I used to attend rallies a lot, but dropped off in recent years because of time and the increasing violence I'm seeing at them from right wing/facist/racist/q-anon/cooker nutjobs. Although with literal neo-nazis appearing at anti-lgbt rallies recently, I'm about ready to go back and rally against them.

Kpop is kind of a refuge for me from a lot of that stuff, a space I like to be in that is usually free of political drama. I recognise that Korea is a more conservative country than Australia, and I KNOW that many of the idols I like probably have some fairly conservative beliefs, especially by my standards. Especially in terms of social politics

If they aren't open and stupid about it, I can keep my head in the sand about it and its all good.

But if they openly came out and spouted stuff I am vehemently against... yeah... I gotta cut em loose.

• I thought about this quite a lot. There is a *chance* I would continue to listen to music by someone if I just thought they were bops and I was a casual fan. I’m not perfect and I will continue to listen to things even now by loads of musiciens I’ve found out had very different points of view or questionable behaviour….

BUT, the groups I actually stan, I usually stan because their lyrics and music have a deeper emotional or cultural meaning for me. I don’t think I could continue to be invested if I found out they were radically right-wing and supported things I felt were anti what I think of as basic human rights for all.

I might still listen to particularly lovely songs from time to time, because the songs stand as moments which have meaning in my life. But I wouldn’t invest any more with time, money or emotion.

Similar to the way that I will continue to love certain books by certain authors (^ahem^, JKR), but I’m not into giving her any more if my coin now that she spends her life being radically transphobic on social media.

• I cannot stan people who are hardcore on either side of the political spectrum. So yes, I'd drop my faves if they became politically outspoken about an issue I don't agree with. This is the same for friends. I preach tolerance for most issues and have a hard time associating with people who are outspoken especially if it is on issues I have staunch beliefs on.

I have better things to do with my time than associate with people who want to fight with me or make me want to fight them.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!