Are kpop idols visuals overrated in the west?

• Which question are you asking?

Would the general Western standard prize the same thing as the Korean standard?

No, of course not.

Would the first group you listed be considered standards in the West?

Probably not. They don't emphasize the right appeal.

Does this mean we kpop fans overrate Korean celebrated visuals?

There's no objectively correct answer to that question. It's completely dependent on the individual and their perception of attractiveness.

If you ask me the first group you listed is head and shoulders above any Western standard. But that's me. I don't find the in vogue Western standards and what they emphasize very attractive.

Ask the second person you'll get a different answer and so on.

• different beauty standard

Also I wouldn't even generalize western beauty standard in one package. What most of you are referring to is American beauty standard.

American beauty standards don't really hold well in the rest of world.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I believe face or head visual almost the same

it the ideal body standard that had different between Korean /Asia VS The West

nope we not overrate them
    it could be possible
    we had same ideal as the koreans?

at least in idol/singer or actor category
    in terms of make up makeover
    koreans knows how to doll up/make up them
    and their trademark make up is to make them younger

I believe they as good as Japan or even better

as of now

outside of entertainment industry or maybe the idol/actors category
    Korean visual definitely overrated

• idk but pretty is pretty around the world it's just that in the west, women are more open to different kind of beauty imo. they are more into style, confidence and I guess sex appeal and since they don't have a beauty standard they are not impressed about kpop idols visuals only.

• I kind of understand the question.

I am from the West, and I thought Jennie was the prettiest in BP and Joy was the prettiest in RV. I didn't have any idea that Jisoo and Irene were the visuals. Now, I get it. But I didn't get it back then.

As far as my favs, I think Jihyo's visuals are more celebrated in other countries than her visuals are celebrated in SK, right? But Tzuyu, Sana and Mina are lauded everywhere/universally, yes?

• I kind of understand the question.

I am from the West, and I thought Jennie was the prettiest in BP and Joy was the prettiest in RV. I didn't have any idea that Jisoo and Irene were the visuals. Now, I get it. But I didn't get it back then.

As far as my favs, I think Jihyo's visuals are more celebrated in other countries than her visuals are celebrated in SK, right? But Tzuyu, Sana and Mina are lauded everywhere/universally, yes?

Honestly same on that first paragraph

• they're pretty but there's many people ive seen irl that look better

just overrated cause people fetishize the hell out of them

Unfortunately true. We can see it clearly in comparison to other western celebrities with similar styles or genre. Taylor swift? Not as hot as jisoo. Harry styles or justin beiber? Not as hot as insert any BTS member here. I see ifans gush over them when in reality alot of idols looks are common here

• Would Sana, Tzuyu, Irene, Jisoo etc etc all be considered "standards", in the west?

We know idols like Jennie/Hwasa/Jihyo/ suit western standards by far and would be considered more attractive within the western audience, but how would idols who fit mostly the asian standards be viewed as?

I'm willing to bet that on average there would be more people that find Sana, Tzuyu, Irene, and Jisoo more attractive than Hwasa anywhere in the world.

• have you seen the POC that Hollywood tends to high light? No offense, but people in the West don't even know what attractive POC actually look like. They always manage to select the finest or at least above average white ppl for roles in shows and movies then always select POC who wouldn't even be considered all that attractive among their own race. I've notice this most recently with black (and I'm not talking about those light skin or half black girls they always try to cast) and Asian celebrities.

So honestly, I wouldn't take the Western standard for POC seriously at all because they don't know shit.

As for all the idols you named just give them the typical baddie Western style make up and they'd hardly know the difference. Tzuyu especially I think would suit this style as her current makeup style hasn't been all that flattering on her. It's like they are still trying to chase that youthful look from hr younger years when she's outgrown that kind of innocent look. Give her some arched brows and some kylie jenner lips and she'd sell tf off.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!