Want to protect children? Boycott companies debuting minors

• Seriously, if you want change you have to put in the work. You may be thinking, "it wont work, Koreans don't care". They WILL care if the international community makes enough noise, because they are very perceptive to outside opinions that singles Koreans out. This was successfully done with Japan, when they finally ABOLISHED hentai drawings of underage characters in their mangas, and that was just a few weeboos making noises on Twitter. The global kpop community considers itself so big and powerful, then use it to your advantage. This will solve the problem once and for all, when only adult idols exist and it will protect children from predators lurking within kpop companies and sponsors.

• You're assuming that most kpop fans would even think that debuting minors is actually a problem, then convincing them to go against the kpop machine they love so much.

After all the "perceived" pedo innuendo with NJ, fans still saw no problem with that and went and gave all their support.

• majority of the audience is children and they love seeing other children debut

Actually, no, the vast majority of PAYING customers are adults 20 and over. For example, these were the percentages of fans at a LESSERAFIM fansign.

AVvXsEgAUzs4jr2wG62jLKeFzwkW9329d754AHpDZ_QSkBFVnFUxXnBwYIq4RXww2gii_5F7HjpsAT-splTPxPstvxpH7lbcCAbIEgksHOFDfnZg7bLQH46CQfBTUN57NHNwDf3evcPNQJtL2TA5fLTRYoFz9n6d4HoUXSt1OBbBrEG3ULl1CAC93AOqDbkA=s16000

So many group ... From Big 3/Hybe to mid tier companies.

In the past it was inconceivable for a Big 3 to apologize over CA, but in the end they were able to get Lisa to apologize. Kpop fans will have to decide what's more important for them, the success of the business from a corrupt kpop company or the safety of children.

• Like some said, a lot of teenagers are KPOP fans and love seeing teenagers debut. It also makes sense to debut a teenager if you're targeting teenager consumers.

I, as an adult, have less of an issue with minors debuting versus minors being sexualized while promoting, which is a fine line you walk. Some things that teenagers wear in these groups may read as sexualization to some people based on where and how they were raised, and some things do not read as sexualization to some people.

This can be seen from discussions I have seen on here about New Jean's Hyein and former LSFM member Garam.

There's the also the situation with adult fans in an industry that promotes parasocial relationships. But, I think these things are up to the company to regulate. I do think debuting an idol younger than 15 is too much, and I don't support groups with members younger than that.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• The problem is not the teenage audience. Their entire audience could be babies and it wouldn't make a single difference. The problem is that minors are thrown into a lion's den of an industry known for extreme levels of control over the life of their idols and trainees. Imagine children literally signing their life away with an NDA for several years, and THEY would go to jail if they ever reported wrongdoing within the company and not the pedophile doing the wrongdoing. In this type of work environment, there's way too many potential risks for people who still have developing brains.

• The problem is not the teenage audience. Their entire audience could be babies and it wouldn't make a single difference. The problem is that minors are thrown into a lion's den of an industry known for extreme levels of control over the life of their idols and trainees. Imagine children literally signing their life away with an NDA for several years, and THEY would go to jail if they ever reported wrongdoing within the company and not the pedophile doing the wrongdoing. In this type of work environment, there's way too many potential risks for people who still have developing brains.

I mean, yeah, in regards to the industry being a lion's den. I'm not saying that it's wrong for people to be against minors debuting because the industry is a lion's den.

However, I guess I am desensitized to minors and teenagers promoting as someone who grew up with Nickelodeon and Disney stars (not a great example knowing how some of them turned out). Also, as someone who wanted to be a performer when I was young, I would support my kid if they wanted to go into the industry. I would be a helicopter mom and be super vigilant and protect them, which is harder to do in KPOP since most parent's basically sign away their kids their to agencies as guardians, but I am biased. I think if a teenager has a dream, they should be able to pursue it, and it is up to the adults in their lives to protect them to make sure the process is safe.

As for your argument about pedophilia in the industry, that's a weird stance you have there, so yeah, I'm not going to discuss that with you.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• SA is disproportionally more common in the entertainment industry than in others. 94% of women in entertainment experienced SA. These are US statistics. IF Koreans ever decided to do a similar study on their own entertainment industry kpop would probably end there and then.

How common is sexual misconduct in Hollywood?
    A USA TODAY survey of 843 women in the entertainment industry found 94% say they've experienced harassment or assault.
    www.usatoday.com

And when it does occur the vast majority of victims of SA are most likely to NEVER report it.

145992754680_20160407.JPG

The point is people have to speak truth to power. The industry is corrupt, greedy and self protecting, there's no such thing as rights for children in Korea.

• the hard truth is that no kpop fan will ever stop giving money to big companies, no boycott will ever work on those companies, smaller companies, yes, just look at blockberry. no 13 year old should be debuting, but there are no laws stopping it, so what can us kpop fans really do? people will keep giving money to all these companies making minors debut and get plastic surgery, nobody cares at the end of the day.

• “Stop abuse against children in entertainment”

Is different from

“Children shouldn’t be in entertainment”

I don’t have any problem with minors debuting. Minors are not some mythical being with no rights and aspirations. They have a right to perform and showcase their talents whether that’s in singing and dancing or sports or some other hobby.

Adults around should know better. And that’s the battle I’ll fight.

Also this whole “if you really cared you wouldn’t be doing xyz” is a cop out used to undermine legitimate concerns you only look like a fool.

• “Stop abuse against children in entertainment”

Is different from

“Children shouldn’t be in entertainment”

That doesn't even make any sense. What's important is for children to be PROTECTED, to have RIGHTS, and SECURITY. People giving a pass to companies are complicit in normalizing the compounding of risks upon children. First of all, multi-year contracts signed by children SHOULD be absolutely abolished. Just as first step. Then increasing the age of debut AND the decrease of company oversight on minors and INCREASING the oversight on companies. That way parents and the government actually start doing their jobs and not simply allowing them to do whatever they wants with minors "under their care".

• It's not morally right imo, but it's going to continue happening. K pop is obsessed with keeping idols young but they don't have to be pubescent kids. I find it creepy tbh.

• That doesn't even make any sense. What's important is for children to be PROTECTED, to have RIGHTS, and SECURITY. People giving a pass to companies are complicit in normalizing the compounding of risks upon children. First of all, multi-year contracts signed by children SHOULD be absolutely abolished. Just as first step. Then increasing the age of debut AND the decrease of company oversight on minors and INCREASING the oversight on companies. That way parents and the government actually start doing their jobs and not simply allowing them to do whatever they wants with minors "under their care".

Sure who said I’m not against that. You talking like as if I’m out here supporting that shit. Your premise is right your conclusion is not.

Don’t support anyone in the industry AT ALL that’s the only way to end child abuse is a bad faith argument it’s obvious you’re not here to showcase any real concern.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!