anyone living in USA.... is NewJeans really trendy and popular there ?

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

apparently they manage to enter the top 10 with less than 1 month.. just below 3 of the biggest girl group song which is very impressive

and lets not ignore the fact that newjeans already have 2 billboard entries

so i wonder if newjeans is really the trend there ? or atleast among usa kpop fans ?

with this kind of state, i believe they're able to held a concert at Blanc of California .. even stray kids who have zero entries everywhere can book 2 date on that stadium and enhypen steadily making big area tour there...

((p/s : well im clearly comparing them with stray kids and enhypen, im not saying that theyre “trendy” as sza or miley cyrus lol its obviously among kpop fans population or teenagers there with 2 billboard entries and massive spotify stream ofcourse theyre above the average kpop group))

• you said trendy, selling concerts has nothing to do with trendy

jimin was trending on youtube with taeyang - so is every bts member when they do somethign solo - and are covered by tons of US media - even now by rollng stones, billobards, forbes, fortune, etc. BTS even on hiatus is trendy in the states.

• Did you put any logic into this thread :pepe-cross:

Why would a popular song mean you can tour in arenas or small stadiums. ;judgingpepe:

Kid Laroi had one of the biggest songs of recent years and he tours in smaller venues than Ateez in the US.

• No. But no Kpop artist is.

Kpop is still considered a niche genre here. It'll never be at the level it is in Japan and the rest of Asia.

That's just a reality.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• Be honest. How many people do you know outside the internet that listens to kpop?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Latin artists get billions of views and sell out stadiums in the US too, but aren't considered mainstream. But they are certainly closer to mainstream in the US than anyone in Kpop will ever be. Could be the large Latino population in the US, or that Latin countries are closer in geography or that Americans just like Latin artists better.

There's even the Latin Grammys.

So yes, Latin artists get billions of views and sell out stadiums in the US too but aren't a part of mainstream.

But in the US:

Latin > Kpop

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• REALISTICALLY???

nobody never heard of them here, besides kpop stans.

they aren't mainstream, you don't year their songs anywhere....

I mean internet poppin doesn't equal to real life all the time.

Besides kpop knowers and listeners, nobody know these girls or know their music.

And I'm speaking REALISTICALLY.

• Be honest. How many people do you know outside the internet that listens to kpop?

quite a few actually - even walmart employees are forced to listen to kpop as they work - since for w/e reason walmart plays some kpop on their reg playlist.

there's a whole thread on reddit about it

reddit.JPG

r/kpophelp - anyone heard any k-pop songs in the wild recently? (public places)
    205 votes and 358 comments so far on Reddit
    www.reddit.com

*this actually is the defining mark of being "trendy" in the states. IF WALMART.. PLAYS YOUR MUSIC at their store, you're being trendy to the General public.

those of you on here who think "kpop isnt trending in USA" are the ones in their own bubble , living under a rock.

Edited once, last by lahel ().

• Only group that's very well known to GP here is BTS

Like people at work or anywhere know them and some even know specific members/solo music

yup — you can hear BTS songs at stores (more than one song), you hear their songs on the radio, you hear BTS references on TV often, they’re just a part of the cultural fabric. that doesn’t happen overnight but they’ve been prominent enough for long enough to reach that point. no other kpop group is close to that recognition level here yet.

• not usa, but here they play 3 groups in rotation in big mall: bts, bp and twice (the feels)

• This forum just has a different definition of what trendy and viral is.

well, yes.

America's a big country with numerous communities and interests. it's very hard to be trendy or viral to every community. that's why we have various experience with our exposure to kpop- those who say they havent been exposed to much kpop irl are not lying, they're just expressing what they see - and vice versa- and there are various reasons for this - they may not go out as much, or they only go to a certain places and talk to or be around a demographic they're comfortable with etc.

but i live in somewhat rural/kinda suburban part of the country where we have a population where 70% are italians and irish, some latinos and black.. but essentially ZERO asians - and i hear kpop in some stores- and all the kids... have some exposure to kpop - of course not all like it - but it's trendy? mainstream enough for adults to accept that it's something the kids listen to.

its weird too.. some of us would rather stick to our kpop interests online and not really bring it out into real world - unless we have an event we want to go together. its like our own secret fetish nobody in my immediate circle of friends should know about... unless they have to... like drive me to a concert. etc

• Are akp users truly representative of what is trendy in us when you can never factually know if users have been in all states in the US?

just wondering: why are people so pressed about other groups other than their faves gaining attraction or attention? lol

• No it’s not 😭😭😭 If so half the kpop groups are famous cuz I’ve heard blackpink, aespa, twice, BTS, Itzy all being played at Target with my own ears. Hell I heard EXO in H&M 😭 and the definitely nugu here. It’s probably some genZ intern who likes kpop. It doesn’t translate to anything beyond that.

Anyway to answer OP question all I can answer is kpop is extremely trendy in online spaces that keep up with trends. Even random news anchors have done the OMG cute edit trend on tiktok.

How much do the common people know kpop, I have no idea. The US has 300mil people after all.

• No. But then again, even somebody like Bad Bunny, one of the biggest artists on Earth isn't really "mainstream" in the USA unless you hang around with certain crowds.

If you really want to use the strongest meaning of the word mainstream, then you're really talking about somebody like Beyonce Knowles or Taylor Swift. You say those names to even an 80 year old grandmother, and chances are they know who they are. That's how much of a household name they are. I guess there's tiers to this.

• Does it matter lol especially for a 6months group??

Ditto & omg are moving like eng singles despite being in Korean yet it's odd they couldn't crack top 200 on US Apple music, nevertheless the stability is incredible impressive

Ditto/OMG might end up the most streamed Korean songs on US Spotify ever based on their stability so far (obviously charted streams only)

• No it’s not 😭😭😭 If so half the kpop groups are famous cuz I’ve heard blackpink, aespa, twice, BTS, Itzy all being played at Target with my own ears. Hell I heard EXO in H&M 😭 and the definitely nugu here.

you dont know walmart.

you've never been there. u think iphons are a necessity. you dont kno who the general public is with ur posh lifestyle. you're the nugu. not them.

• No. But then again, even somebody like Bad Bunny, one of the biggest artists on Earth isn't really "mainstream" in the USA unless you hang around with certain crowds.

If you really want to use the strongest meaning of the word mainstream, then you're really talking about somebody like Beyonce Knowles or Taylor Swift. You say those names to even an 80 year old grandmother, and chances are they know who they are. That's how much of a household name they are. I guess there's tiers to this.

True but being a household name isn't even all that important nowadays

• you dont know walmart.

you've never been there. u think iphons are a necessity. you dont kno who the general public is with ur posh lifestyle. you're the nugu. not them.

Oh it’s you I should have recognized you you lack critical thinking skills 😭

Anyway to anyone else reading I assure you being played at Walmart or any mall etc doesn’t mean anything. Even Bollywood gets played there if you’re in the right location. I’ve heard it all.

• Oh it’s you I should have recognized you you lack critical thinking skills 😭

Anyway to anyone else reading I assure you being played at Walmart or any mall etc doesn’t mean anything. Even Bollywood gets played there if you’re in the right location. I’ve heard it all.

again, another lie. you lack critical thinking skills with ur iphone thinking for you. there's no one playing bollywood music at walmart or any malls .. unless that said mall is owned by indians..or other south asians.

• This is correct. The only large country that kpop is popular outside Korea is Japan. They have 3x the market and population of Korea. Because they have a population of 125 million people. But the US has 330 million people.

The mistake is thinking America is a monolith. It's truly a melting pot of many different communities and backgrounds. It takes A LOT for an artist to become mainstream. But you think of Taylor Swift, Beyonce or Rihanna coming out with music and it basically shakes America.

I think we get a lot of group think and get in our own bubble in Kpop communities, but no one in Kpop is mainstream. Not even the biggest names approach Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Lady Gaga and others.

YG Family

1080x360

• This thread contains 65 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!