Do you think Twice dating news weaken their popularity in Korea ?

• First let me say that every idol should have the right to date whoever they want without needing to have an impact on their career and popularity

and this thread is in no way a way to blame thee members mention for Twice performance in charts, it's just a chronology and an objective analysis to see with some retreat how it impacted the groups

but on the light of IU dating news, i thought about idols datings news, and i remember Twice news and it made me things of this idea of thread, this thread will be an objective analysis

Twice was always a cute girlgroup with a very girl next door and very clean image, and we all know that this type of girlgroup are build to gather to the fantasize of male fans to think that in alternative universe they could have a chance to date them, because they represent the cute, bubbly image that korean man love about girls

and this image was a big factor in theeir success + with theeir addictive song and chorregraphy

that's why even if they did a more mature concept with Fancy You (released in april 2019), the song was still a big success because Twice always had this perfect image to the eyes of male fans

but things seems to take a different turn to the eyes of the public when news about Jihyo dating Daniel came out in August 2019 and the girls cameback 1 months later with Feel special, which was consider by a lot of people theeir first "flop" in korea

one of the reason was the change of concept, but considering how Twice was still strong after Fancy you is it possible that it might not be the only reason to explain such a sudden drop of interest in their music ?

then Momo news dating Heecheul came out and more and more few months after in the summer

Twice was know to be one of the strong GG of the summer after the success of DTNA so people expected that mixing their popularity + summer would be the song to put them again on thee front row and make them forget the under performance of Feel special but it didn't reach the expectation of people in term of charting

but suddenly it seems that people regain a lot of attention after some underwhelming title song from twice when they dropped alcohol free and the song seemed to be doing well

so a lot of people thought that they were ablee to gain some attention back so next comeback might be their redemption arc but few months after alcohol free, in November the news of Chaeyoung dating a tatoo artist came out and in November 2021 Twice was also doing their big return with a full album and the title track scientist, the song was more on the cutee side and more reminiscent of their old image and concept but Scientist is also know to be the biggest flop of their career

Concept change was also a big factor in Twice losing some popularity

but ddo you think that maybe their datin news were also factor in weaken their popularity considering that their dating news have broke the illusion of a lot of male fans who were building their love of Twice around the false "potential girlfriend" image that JYP is pushing with their concept and Girl next door image ?

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• It weaken their fandom is Korea, make their male fans run but the GP, the one that stream songs don't care for that (unless they date a fútbol player)

Why tired twice to Korea was the constant releases and encoregate

• definitely played some role. but multiple factors were at play here; like how people were obsessed with them continuing their cute concept and the hype just died when they changed it up. they did come back with talk that talk and that song should’ve done well because it was so much like their 2016-18 releases but it fell flat too. i think people just got bored of them. there are so many promising newer girlgroups the Korean gp is interested in. this is a generational shift. normal in kpop I guess

they’re still very popular but i don’t think they’re ever going back to their peak

• No. The decline was going to happen regardless of the dating news cause Twice moved on from the cute concept and Koreans didn't like the change in music.

If Sana and Nayeon were revealed to be dating that would have definitely impacted their popularity. Iirc, there were some comments saying 'as long as it's not Sana or Twice will be fine until it's not Nayeon and Sana' :suure:

Momo and Jihyo just weren't that popular back then for their dating news to affect Twice. Some of their male fans definitely left the fandom after but groups tend to lose fans after the first few years so

What hurt Twice the most was the change in music + other girl groups like BP, OMG, RV rising at the same time.

• I think people really exaggerate up the impact of dating as if it was a a kiss of death when in reality no one really cares outside fans and the initial surprise and hate.

Sure fans may have been hurt but the entire public who used to listen to Twice suddenly being put off by dating news makes no sense especially years ago dating is revealed. Other groups/individuals had dating scandals and other than some initial bad press time things return back to normal after a while.

SNSD had most of the members exposed in 1 year and Taeyeon in particular was one of the most hated idols around (plus Jessica gate such was even bigger factor) but they never came close to the decline Twice had. Other factors like their 10th anniversary bullshit affected them more than dating but as the past 5 years showed not even that finished SNSD popualrity with the public culminating in Forver 1 doing better than most 3G CBs in recent times. IU had that weird thing with Eunhyuk and after some hate she bounced back as if it never happened to the point she is unstoppable juggernaut in Korea. Jennie has been in dating twice and instead of her popularity falling off a cliff she conversely keeps getting more popular.

So how come other idols can bounce back or at least keep their popularity through the years after a dating scandal but twice is somehow the outlier where their career is affected the most? The answer is they're not want different. Public don't care about dating in the long run, they won't give up on groups or idols purely because of dating. Other factors like bad personality, crime, bad releases or moving on to the newer trendier things play much of a prevalent role in affecting a groups CB and simply put the public fell out of love with with Twice.

• I think the longer you go on the more accepting fans are, it's far more damaging at the start. Now they are huge and successful and have settled into a legendary status it's not as big of a deal.

Edit : you can see these older groups like EXO, Big Bang members getting married and everyone is supportive now - imagine they did that first two years of their career lol

I think you didn't really follow

because there's a lot of people asking chen to leave exo after his marriage x)

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• I think people over estimate the effect of dating news, like way overestimate... The amount of fans that it really affect is so minute that it wouldn't have any significant impact on the group and even less so in large groups.

This is one of these theories that sounds great on paper but doesn't translate to real world application.

• some delusional fans might have left but i don't think it really affected their popularity with the gp.

the concept change, dating scandals, the encore stages, lack of proper promotion, the constant comeback cycle (korean cb, japanese cb, korean cb), it all culminated and affected their popularity and charting

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• Nope, Jihyo wasn't even particularly that popular and dating scandals don't really affect idols on the charts, it's usually the sales that suffer (like Daniel actually). Feel Special was their real departure from their signature sound and while it wasn't a megahit (as that was kind of a dead year for the charts) it was still incredibly successful.

It's further departure from Twice's sound, the refusal to develop solo careers and the encore stages that hurt them.

BLACKPINKJESSICALE SSERAFIMNEWJEANSTHE ROSESEJEONGTWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKA

259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv 9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv 9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!