Idols lip sync on radio lives now, Video by SHANLIÉ

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Basically this video compares prerecorded radio performances,

live radio performances,

autotuned mic music show performances (e.g. It's Live),

prerecorded music show performances (most music shows)

For the same songs.

Showing that some of the radio performances are obviously prerecorded audio/live AR when you compare it to their actual live singing. A version that sounds slightly different, like on music shows.

00:00 - Intro
    00:22 - Joy - Hello
    01:40 - IVE - Eleven
    03:28 - ONEUS - Bring it on
    04:58 - NMIXX - Dice ((The main part I watched since their Dice radio live sounds a little bit too perfect to be live))
    06:33 - TREASURE - Hello
    07:31 - Yein - Bus
    08:32 - WEEEKLY - After School
    09:30 - WEI - Too Bad
    10:50 - ROCKET PUNCH - Chiquita
    12:41 - EUNBI - Door

The one thing that made me confused is that even Jeong Yein, a member of Lovelyz (disbanded), lip syncs on a radio broadcast for her solo song Bus, even though it's not an idol song, it's a slow ballad solo, and she isn't technically an idol anymore.

It would be unnecessarily pressuring on the guests if they have to do a good live performance on multiple radio shows, and it could be awkward for everyone there (hosts, fans, guests) if they don't do a good job, so I understand why they don't always perform live. But then why don't they just sit down and play the studio version rather than lip syncing into mics?

First, in addition to keeping a good image, it could also be a matter of convenience. For the producers, it might be easier to have a consistent timetable and give every guest a "live performance segment" with microphones at the halfway mark, and just keep track of whether the audio is live or prerecorded.

"This week, A: live performance with mics,

next week B: prerecorded performance with mics,

next week C: live with mics,

next week D: prerecorded with mics"

"this week, A: live performance with mics,

next week B: play studio track (no hand mics, guests sitting down, etc),

next week C: live performance with mics,

next week D: play studio track."

The first one is easier, so that might be why guests lip sync rather than just playing the studio version.

Second, in addition to image and convenience, it is also a good gesture to the fans who physically came in person to give some kind of a performance, rather than just playing the studio version of the song. For people just listening to the audio, it doesn't make as much difference between the studio version or a live version, but for fans who actually came in person, they would appreciate the artists standing up, holding mics, and lip syncing more than if they just sat there and danced a little while the studio version plays.

People who just listen to the audio version might not even be able to tell the difference between live AR and live live since they can't see the singers. But the people who actually watch the video version and can clearly tell the audio is pre-recorded, are the very people who the pre-recorded performance is meant for. Of course we would prefer it live live rather than pre recorded lip syncing into mics. But if the artist has to choose between a pre-recorded fake "live" performance vs just playing the studio version, then I think they would prefer the first one both for themselves and for their fans.

So in summary I think 1. image of the idols/protecting them from criticism from a poor live performance

2. convenience of producers

3. considering the fan experience, it's better to stand with the mics and do lipsyncing rather than just listening to the studio version

3a. It's also more natural and fun/interesting for the idols too

If you are wondering "so is ___ actually prerecorded then." I think the ones on arirang radio/super k-pop are all live.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!