My Sassy Girl (2001) is not that good

• Maybe back then it was a masterpiece but watching it today it left me bored and annoyed.

How is this movie so legendary? I know it was the point of the movie but the girl was so obnoxious I couldn't stand it. And now that actress is the highest paid actress in Korea??

Tell me I'm not alone in thinking this is overrated.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Its reputation comes from the time the movie was released. The early 00's marked a new age of Korean cinema. And My Sassy Girl was one of its most popular items.

So is it overrated? I don't know. I think that things need to be put back in their original context to be rated properly. So in that sense My Sassy Girl deserves its reputation. And to this day it remains a good and surprising mix of comedy and drama. It switches from one genre to the other unexpectedly right at the middle, and I think it's a movie that is very representative of the kind of drama/romance the SK industry produces.

I remember watching the fake sequel that the same director made after My Sassy Girl and it was not that good. My Sassy Girl managed a subtle balance between comedy and drama which the sequel didn't achieve. For my taste, SK movies tend to delve into exaggerated poignancy too often and that was the case of that second movie. There's a point it becomes ridiculous and boring. But My Sassy Girl is not one of these movies imo.

And yes, Jeon Ji-hyun is legendary. Deservedly so.

• There are not many good movies in that era. The movie still held in high regard because of nostalgia.
    If the movie was released today, the reaction would be "meh" to say the least.
    Still liked the movie thou.

• yes I agree
    not my favorite
    but I understand the hype
    back then earlier 2000s or 90s
    the Korean Drama or movies is not into handsome actor they more into visual actress only
    just like any of the old school movies of the 90s 2000s
    and comedy is more appreciated back then no restriction

also my favorite Gianna Jung movies is
    Windstruck but it comedy + melodrama still I like it 100x better

• I prefer to tear my eyes off before watching that movie again, I can't stand it, it's one of the most toxic romance movies I've seen.

The actress is good, but I can't like her, she just does these types of roles, toxic and annoying woman. How can I like you when you just annoy in every project you do. But she is an excellent actress, that's true.

• I prefer to tear my eyes off before watching that movie again, I can't stand it, it's one of the most toxic romance movies I've seen.

The actress is good, but I can't like her, she just does these types of roles, toxic and annoying woman. How can I like you when you just annoy in every project you do. But she is an excellent actress, that's true.

Exactly. Usually it's the guy treating the girl like crap but its switched in this movie.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Would you say "Oldboy (2003)" was the turning point when Korean cinema began being taken seriously?

• Would you say "Oldboy (2003)" was the turning point when Korean cinema began being taken seriously?

More like being known rather than being taken seriously, but yes I suppose it started with Oldboy which competed for the Palme d'Or at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival and made a strong impression on audiences.

It started a bit earlier for amateurs of Eastern cinema though. I remember the very first SK movies I heard about back then were Volcano High (2001), 2009: Lost Memories (2002), Yesterday (2002). They're definitely no classics but they were the first "blockbusters" coming from SK, a country I knew very little (if anything) at that time.

• More like being known rather than being taken seriously, but yes I suppose it started with Oldboy which competed for the Palme d'Or at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival and made a strong impression on audiences.

It started a bit earlier for amateurs of Eastern cinema though. I remember the very first SK movies I heard about back then were Volcano High (2001), 2009: Lost Memories (2002), Yesterday (2002). They're definitely no classics but they were the first "blockbusters" coming from SK, a country I knew very little (if anything) at that time.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Shiri (1999) Awesome cast starting Yunjin Kim from ABC "Lost" (2004-2010), Song Kang-ho from "Parasite" (2019) and Choi Min-sik from "Old Boy" (2003).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!