A Descent into Kpop Madness. A tragedy, as told in Spotify Wrapped Playlists.

• 2018 was the last year of his intact sanity. Some hip hop, some old school rock, some Taylor Swift. Nothing out of the ordinary, a playlist for a guy that didn't listen to music a whole lot, a western white guys playlist.

2018.JPG

In 2019, innocence is lost. He discovered the Persona game series, which dominated his gaming and listening and gaming for the year. His music starts leaning away from harder sounds and in mid-late 2019, while trolling the internet, he decides to watch a music video from four Korean girls, too see what this online chatter was about. He listens to their songs a little, then more... a genres addicting tendrils work their way slowly... slowly into his brain.

2019.JPG

A year later, the madness has set in. Those probing tendrils have enveloped his brain completely, only two non Kpop songs bravely holding on in the top 15 songs, although a venture into the wildlands past that show more non kpop than kpop. He branches out, tentatively exploring past Blackpink... He buys his first kpop albums, all 4 version of The Album and with that, the last shreds of sanity are let go.

2020.JPG

Come 2021, it is over for him. The listening habits of 2018 are gone, buried in the past. Even the only non kpop song in the top 15 is semi kpop related, being the main song played in a Kdrama he became obsessed with that year. It is not until 40th on the list that another non kpop song is listed. He no longer thinks for himself, his brain now replaced by the mass of writhing kpop tendrils. 4 albums on a corner of a bookshelf become two whole shelves of merch.

2021.JPG

In 2022 there is nothing left for him but madness, madness and kpop. His days are spent on kpop forums, kpop playing in the background. His apartment is kpop merch wherever one looks. He spends thousands on a trip to South Korea and returns with more than double the luggage weight than he left with. His playlist is all kpop until the late 40's, when only a Disney soundtrack and Persona songs offer the slim promise of redemption, of a way out of the all encompassing madness that has consumed him. But does he want that? Does he want escape...

No... he doesn't. He likes it down here. It's comfortable and bright and happy and oh so lovingly crazy.

2022.JPG

• Holy cow, you're a dude? I dunno why this whole time i thought you were a girl.

And your journey is so damn similar to mine. Our starting points were way different lol, i listened to nothing but boomer music before Kpop, the only major exceptions were some EDM/trance songs and covers by mah girl Morissette Amon. But my first entry into Kpop was Blackpinkhouse and BBY, and my first true comebacks were Kill This Love and Boy With Love =O .

• Holy cow, you're a dude? I dunno why this whole time i thought you were a girl.

And your journey is so damn similar to mine. Our starting points were way different lol, i listened to nothing but boomer music before Kpop, the only major exceptions were some EDM/trance songs and covers by mah girl Morissette Amon. But my first entry into Kpop was Blackpinkhouse and BBY, and my first true comebacks were Kill This Love and Boy With Love =O .

Hahaha, I always thought I gave off pretty distinct guy vibes :sweat:

Yeah I wasn't around the the KTL comeback, it was months later, but I distinctly recall KTL as my first kpop song. Sep 7, 2019 in fact, according to Youtube History. Before then the only things I really knew about kpop was seeing Blackpink plastered all over HMV's in Japan in early 2018 (and thinking they were a Jpop group) and some students of mine being obsessed with Big Bang.

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!