Why is the Kpop Broadway show flopping?

• Luna of f(x) is in it. There’s lots of Kpop fans but the show can’t sell and is losing money. Why didn’t the fans show up?

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Approved the thread.
  • The US doesn't care about kpop. At this point it would also fail in South Korea. All these inflated sales and media play won't change the fact that kpop is not growing but shrinking.

• Mediaplay can't buy Broadway tickets

• Kpop is and always will be a niche market in the US.

• Thank BTS for the opportunities Kpop has gotten in the west, but now, you'll see how quickly the door closes for kpop.

• That was a lot more fans who turned up than I thought.

Why are they losing money with all those young fans. The twitter thread seemed pretty positive.

• Thank BTS for the opportunities Kpop has gotten in the west, but now, you'll see how quickly the door closes for kpop.

Isn't this just proof that BTS didn't open the door for kpop in the west? Artists were touring and promoting in the west long before BTS existed/blew up they just didn't have the same impact that BTS did. (And TBF, Psy blew up in the west long before BTS did so they weren't the first by any stretch). Then BTS got big and other groups continued to promote and tour west with the same impact they always had (not much). AKA, there has not been any change in the way groups promote and tour in the west because they always have been.

So essentially, if the door is closing for Kpop in the west now that BTS are beginning their enlistments, then BTS didn't do anything for kpop in the west because nothing has changed for other groups.

BTS was niche too. Used manufactured fandom downloads with 12 different remixes. That's why Butter fell out real fast while actual mainstream hits kept charting for a year. Kpop will always be niche and that includes BTS.

• Luna of f(x) is in it. There’s lots of Kpop fans but the show can’t sell and is losing money. Why didn’t the fans show up?

No one cares about Luna. If they had V, Jennie, Hyunjin, Nayeon, and Wonyoung, it would get a lot more fans.

• honestly the show isn't great. i'm saying this as someone who actually went to one of the preview shows.

the story is pretty shallow. even the people behind me were talking about how it's lacking. the songs and performances were fantastic but the plot and character development leaves a lot to be desired.

• Not armys being delusional here. The only reason its flopping is because it doesn't have an actual big kpop name inside. Luna is a big as Fromis 9 members

• because it has shit marketing.

I only happened to hear about this show because of one random YouTube video and even then, I'm only hearing about Luna from f(x) being in it now from you, and even then then, Luna is a complete flop (sorry not sorry) who's name has no pull in the industry. Do f(x) stans even still exist at this point?

But even if we put all of that aside "Kpop the musical"? Seriously? Was that the best they could come up with? What is this musical even about? The title just sounds like a major cash grab. Even if the show was in my area I wouldn't even bother to go because instead of marketing and actual *story* the only thing we know is this so called show has something to do with Kpop and nothing more.

Why the heck would I get out of bed and get dressed for that when I have "Kpop the musical" at home? It's called You Tube and it's free.

• Isn't this just proof that BTS didn't open the door for kpop in the west? Artists were touring and promoting in the west long before BTS existed/blew up they just didn't have the same impact that BTS did. (And TBF, Psy blew up in the west long before BTS did so they weren't the first by any stretch). Then BTS got big and other groups continued to promote and tour west with the same impact they always had (not much). AKA, there has not been any change in the way groups promote and tour in the west because they always have been.

So essentially, if the door is closing for Kpop in the west now that BTS are beginning their enlistments, then BTS didn't do anything for kpop in the west because nothing has changed for other groups.

I don't think BTS is this insecure

• Isn't this just proof that BTS didn't open the door for kpop in the west? Artists were touring and promoting in the west long before BTS existed/blew up they just didn't have the same impact that BTS did. (And TBF, Psy blew up in the west long before BTS did so they weren't the first by any stretch). Then BTS got big and other groups continued to promote and tour west with the same impact they always had (not much). AKA, there has not been any change in the way groups promote and tour in the west because they always have been.

lol what, are you comparing the tours groups had before BTS to tours after BTS? plus the streaming and sales numbers are WAYYYY bigger. BTS opened a much bigger fandom for Kpop in the West, it's just that Kpop isn't mainstream there. A Broadway musical can't be sustained on hardcore fans, you need the GP to turn up for that. Broadway is a hard spot for original ideas anyway, most musicals fail.

someone always tries to downplay the huge impact of BTS when even mid tier groups are having successful tours in the US now, tours there were barely to not profitable even for the TOP groups pre-2017

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!