Do u think there should be limit on number of kpop groups?

• Only groups from big 3/4 guaranteed at least moderate success, and there are couple from mid sized companies and few ones that manage to do decent from small compnaies. Most of them disband and left with trainee debts and such that. The saturation is just getting out of hand. Almost anyone can debut now. And for what? only to be left with debts? I wish there would be limit and only deserving ones would debut.

• In a free country anyone should be allowed to debut if they have the means to. As long as they are aware of the risks of being left with a debt.

u cant assume they are fully aware of the risks

not just trainee debt there are so many awful things behind the scene or dumb management like bbc

i think most of them debut thinking its flowers and rainbow or they think they make it

companies will use their naivety

thats why there should be regulations on kpop companies, only the capable ones should operate

• I mean, as in any entertainment industry of any kind, anyone is allowed to try for stardom, but it depends on them and the public if they make some type of fame. There’s a lot of musicians around the world that choose to make music, some for fame, and a lot because being a musical artist makes them happy. Only some make it to a wider audience and broader popularity as well. It’s the same idea within kpop.

Besides, it’s good to have lots of variety, because think of how the industry would be if there was only 5 groups for everyone to stan—kinda boxed in, isn’t it?

• u cant assume they are fully aware of the risks

not just trainee debt there are so many awful things behind the scene or dumb management like bbc

i think most of them debut thinking its flowers and rainbow or they think they make it

companies will use their naivety

thats why there should be regulations on kpop companies, only the capable ones should operate

Ah well I don’t agree on the management/limitation of how many groups debut, but I agree on the point that only capable companies should operate. There should be some kind of council that oversees the creation/management of entertainment companies and checks to make sure that they’re operating properly and managing their artists right behind the scenes. They can’t just have laws in place, because some companies would break it anyways, so they need people to enforce it and inspect every once in a while.

This is not saying that only the big companies should be able to operate, small ones should still be able to, it’s just that all should be regulated.

This is a little more possible than in, perhaps, the American entertainment industry, because of the nature of the K-pop industry. It’s constructed different.

• definitely there shouldnt be companies like TS, MBK, BBC or that omega x company etc

Obviously there shouldn't be abusive companies, but those are kind of funny examples to pull out as I would put them all in the mid-sized or larger. TS was the same size as WM (which had artists like B1A4 and OMG), and TS screwed over its artists, ruining their careers, while WM ended up being purchased and merged as a subsidiary under RBW and every member who still wants to be part of B1A4 and OMG is. MBK, on the other hand, simply sucked at managing scandals, but they had tons of artists from T-ara, SG Wannabe, Seeya, Davichi, etc. who were very popular and well-known. So where do you draw the line? Is "incompetent at some very important things but mostly okay" unacceptable?

There's also an aspect of: who is big today may not be big tomorrow. DSP Media used to be part of the Big Three, but after the CEO got very sick and had to step down, they cratered in relevance. There is no guarantee that the companies who would be deemed "big enough" to successfully ensure debuts will remain so in the future.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• you could say the same argument for western artists

hm i think western pop is very different, first of all there are not many groups right now mostly solo artists

and i think process is much different, pretty much u make ur music and get discovered by labels and sign them, also they have everything easier as western pop is already mainstream, kpop is limited audience so the saturation affects individual artists a lot

• I mean, as in any entertainment industry of any kind, anyone is allowed to try for stardom, but it depends on them and the public if they make some type of fame. There’s a lot of musicians around the world that choose to make music, some for fame, and a lot because being a musical artist makes them happy. Only some make it to a wider audience and broader popularity as well. It’s the same idea within kpop.

Besides, it’s good to have lots of variety, because think of how the industry would be if there was only 5 groups for everyone to stan—kinda boxed in, isn’t it?

i havent said there should be only 5 groups even single company has more than 5 groups at the moment.

and afterall kpop fans barely care about groups outside big 3/4 or mid sized companies anyways i dont think cutting out some groups would hurt them esp boygroups since they always complain how every boygroup is similar

• dont u feel bad there's many of them debut but no one knows them and they disband and left with fuck a ton debts, if u stan big company groups u may not understand

Any business venture is a risk

I feel sorry for business that open, spend big and fail and hurt their employees in the process.

I feel sorry for indie bands that try hard and give blood, tears and sweat but never get anywhere.

I feel sorry for small comic book companies that release amazing work for a short time, but things go bad, sales drop, they cant pay writers and artists and then implode and collapse.

Do I think any of them should be controlled and told NO, you aren't allowed to start up because theres already too many?

Nope

• I disagree that there should be a limit. I do however think there needs to be some form of industry wide regulations that prevent many of the issues that prospective idols face.

For example, off the top of my head;

• Capped trainee debt, i.e. 10k per year of training so you know what you are up for in advance
    • Upon debut, an actual salary plus bonus for being successful. Idols should make a livable wage at minimum
    • *edit* transparent cost allocation, so idols know what they pay for with their income and what the company pays for

The above alone would probably reduce the number of groups as the companies would be taking on the majority of risk instead of the individual idols like now. This way you'd need a good plan, resources, and investment in to your idols to be in the game.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!