I heard they officialy announced Boys Planet 999 for February 2023 [and I'm concerned]

• They didn't announced any possible participants but my concern goes to one of Mnet's own companies.

I know it sounds dumb but many people mentioned this on reddit before back as the trainees of Mnet's Japanese company Lapone Entertainment stoped using social media in September.

So Lapone Entertainment exists for the Japanese winner groups of Produce 101 Japan, but they also have trainees trought season 2 even tho these boys didn't won. Lapone sended them to Korea and they are there for over half a year now. They announced in September to stop using social media (Twitter, Youtube and TikTok) and fans were concerned. Basicly everyone said if they only take a social media hiatus to train for a possible debut than they are fine with it but if it's cause they could apear on Boys Planet 999 (since they are in Korea) everyone was disliking those thoughts.

I remember that I read on reddit how some people said that they might be fine with it if it's just for exposure but they hate to think how Mnet could make them join a KPop-group if they could be popular in the show if they apear on there. Other thoughts people had were that since they allready apeard on Produce and are trainees under Lapone that there shouldn't be a need to send them to another survival show. Also if they end up in the show people can't imagine what would happen since they know how Mnet handles editing. If they would edit them more handsome people fear that Mnet gets accused of favorism towards their own people and if they would edit them to look more ugly than people would accuse Mnet of sabotaging their own people to not make them look like if they would be superior or something.

>.< now that its official that Boys Planet 999 will happen, I don't like to think what would happen if any of the boys would apear on the show.

Those are the dudes I was talking about btw, for anyone who dosn't knows about them:

FRl2D9EacAAn2Ks.jpg

(Left to right: Ayuta, Ken, Koshin, Nalu)

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• don't know how it will go but...

Article here says that unlike GP999 where there were girls from Korea, China and Japan

here there was global audition, and it had three rounds.

98 boys passed to join the show.

'남자' 케플러 탄생한다 …'보이즈 플래닛' 내년 2월 첫방 [공식]
    [마이데일리 = 강다윤 기자] 케이블채널 엠넷 '보이즈 플래닛(BOYS PLANET)'이 내년 2월 방송을 확정했다. 28일 엠넷에 따르면 '2022 마마 어워즈(2022 MAMA AWARDS)'에서 '보이즈 플래닛' 티저 영상을 전 세계 최초로 공개한다. 이어 공개 모집이 종료된…
    v.daum.net

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I don't get why they are even doing a guys version to G999.

That show pretty much flopped, but Kep1er as a group is profitable. So, I suppose the cost of the show flopping is outweighed by the potential for possible physical sales.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

That show pretty much flopped, but Kep1er as a group is profitable. So, I suppose the cost of the show flopping is outweighed by the potential for possible physical sales.

Well this will flop much harder if they end up having Lapone's trainees, I can allready smell it, because many of their fans don't like the thoughts of them probably apearing there

I read a lot BS rumors many months ago on possible apearing people and jesus if any of the named dudes apears from the rumor I saw back than than this will be Fd... I remember that how half of the named people were already idols in groups from Japan, Korea and for China the rumored dudes were mostly actors or former survival show participants. Also Mnet would shoot themself in the foot if anyone of these people would apear since I remember from the rumor that some Korean and Japanese names allready apeard on Produce 101 Japan season 1 + 2 and Produce X (the worst rumored names were people who literally won on Produce Japan since hello, they do not need to apear when they won somewhere else by now)

the vast majority of survival shows are hardly profitable by themselves. when produce was at its peak, the show itself had tons of sponsors and sponsorships. but with company run survival shows the resulting group's profits are what cover the cost of the show and planet 999 is in that category since mnet essentially lost produce's brand power. kepler is under wakeone which is under cjemn.

honestly is debatable how profitable kepler is overall, but mnet will never stop trying to create an even bigger group the next go around.

who's your favorite artist?

• Well this will flop much harder if they end up having Lapone's trainees, I can allready smell it, because many of their fans don't like the thoughts of them probably apearing there

I read a lot BS rumors many months ago on possible apearing people and jesus if any of the named dudes apears from the rumor I saw back than than this will be Fd... I remember that how half of the named people were already idols in groups from Japan, Korea and for China the rumored dudes were mostly actors or former survival show participants. Also Mnet would shoot themself in the foot if anyone of these people would apear since I remember from the rumor that some Korean and Japanese names allready apeard on Produce 101 Japan season 1 + 2 and Produce X (the worst rumored names were people who literally won on Produce Japan since hello, they do not need to apear when they won somewhere else by now)

Are these people who are already in a group?

If so, I'd get why they would be upset at that since no way they would be able to promote in 2 groups during the same time.

If these are trainees with no group, then I kinda get sending them on this show.

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Are these people who are already in a group?

Not quit sure what you mean? But from what I remember one of the idols who is in a group that I saw on the rumor back than was literally Win of MCND and I was like "WTF?" cause he debuted allready and also had been in a floped survival show before (He had been in ' under19')

• honestly is debatable how profitable kepler is overall, but mnet will never stop trying to create an even bigger group the next go around.

IDK who Mnet's largest group is right now but their Japanse groups sell quit a lot. I mean both INI and JO1 sold overf 500K on their last releases and INI is also curently one of the most selling rookies in Japan right now (they were also the first non Johnny's Entertainment-group in over 10 years to sell 500K+ on a album as Japanese boygroup in Japan wich is impressive since the boygroup market is mainly dominated by Johnny's or KPop in Japan)

• the vast majority of survival shows are hardly profitable by themselves. when produce was at its peak, the show itself had tons of sponsors and sponsorships. but with company run survival shows the resulting group's profits are what cover the cost of the show and planet 999 is in that category since mnet essentially lost produce's brand power. kepler is under wakeone which is under cjemn.

honestly is debatable how profitable kepler is overall, but mnet will never stop trying to create an even bigger group the next go around.

Well, they consistently sell 300k+ on every mini, which just 2 years ago would have had them amongst the top of most GGs, so I'd say they are pretty profitable. They sell more than most mid-tier GGs. Also more than IOI and IZ*ONE (initially).

They also have a decent size Japanese fanbase, so they can definitely tour there successfully. If they sell like that consistently, I think MNET wouldn't do any worse than they probably did for Produce 101. Most of these temporary groups seem like a money grab tbh. Kep1er's sales have been on a slight decline, so I don't think they will match IZ*ONE. But, they will only last 2 more years, and I don't think their decline will be significant enough for them to bring in less than IOI.

• Well, they consistently sell 300k+ on every mini, which just 2 years ago would have had them amongst the top of most GGs, so I'd say they are pretty profitable. They sell more than most mid-tier GGs. Also more than IOI and IZ*ONE (initially).

They also have a decent size Japanese fanbase, so they can definitely tour there successfully. If they sell like that consistently, I think MNET wouldn't do any worse than they probably did for Produce 101. Most of these temporary groups seem like a money grab tbh. Kep1er's sales have been on a slight decline, so I don't think they will match IZ*ONE. But, they will only last 2 more years, and I don't think their decline will be significant enough for them to bring in less than IOI.

i just don't believe good album sales alone is enough to say a group is profitable. the real money in kpop is in sponsorships and touring, and kepler has the worst sponsor rate of the pd101 groups. an they havent toured yet other than like one japanese fanmeet. thats my only hesitance in saying they made back the money that was spent on gp999.

• and kepler has the worst sponsor rate of the pd101 groups.

Even the Japanese groups do better than them

I don't remember the entire list but INI collabed with Adidas before debut, JO1 collabed with NIKE before debut. JO1 also worked with for example Gucci and so on... but if I'm not mistaken Gucci only happend since JO1's Keigo and his family are regular customers at Gucci since hes a spoiled rich kid and Gucci used this (I remember how they postedon Twitter back than, since besides Keigo everyone else was broke as fuck before and so they shared how they had no clue about brand-items)

• i just don't believe good album sales alone is enough to say a group is profitable. the real money in kpop is in sponsorships and touring, and kepler has the worst sponsor rate of the pd101 groups. an they havent toured yet other than like one japanese fanmeet. thats my only hesitance in saying they made back the money that was spent on gp999.

Idols are the ones who make the most out of touring and sponsorships. The company makes the bulk of their money from sales. Which is what I am referring to. I still think MNET will make a profit. Will the girls? Not sure about that.

And Kep1er will definitely tour at least once before they disband. But, we can agree to disagree.

• Idols are the ones who make the most out of touring and sponsorships. The company makes the bulk of their money from sales. Which is what I am referring to. I still think MNET will make a profit. Will the girls? Not sure about that.

And Kep1er will definitely tour at least once before they disband. But, we can agree to disagree.

just want to say, in my experience following bts, it is estimated that the company makes the most from touring too (at least big hit was). the company gets a nice chunk of the money for everything the idol does so profitable for idol = profitable for company. but i get your point

• just want to say, in my experience following bts, it is estimated that the company makes the most from touring too (at least big hit was). the company gets a nice chunk of the money for everything the idol does so profitable for idol = profitable for company. but i get your point

Depends on the contract you sign. That is most common in 360 deals, which I would imagine most KPOP artists at big labels will sign. But the record label only gets a percentage. That percentage is usually lower than what they would get from album sales. Typically it is some like 80% goes to the label for album sales while with tours it is something like 50%/60% (I would assume if the label is the one that funded the tour with no initial profits and the artist has a debt like KPOP artist typically do.).

KPOP is a bit different in that artists sign 7 year contracts and the company needs to be recouped for the training expenses (years worth) and promotions before the artist starts to make a profit. Which is probably why Big Hit did at some point make more for touring. I doubt that is the case now since BTS has resigned and probably reworked their percentages (with a good legal team).

So, we can apply that to Kep1er as well, but not exactly, since CJENM never had them as trainees. So, it really depends on how the contracts are negotiated between the Kep1er members and their home agencies and CJENM. Either way, the percentages for what record labels get for touring is generally lower than the percentage they make for album sales. This is just in general. It all comes down to the contracts.

Edit: Also to add, if Kep1er is already making a profit before the tour, then part of that revenue could be used to fund a tour for them (which could make them more susceptible to better percentages), but at this point, they have already signed their contracts so those numbers are set.

Edited 2 times, last by keyboardwarrior7 ().

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!