Velvet's Library: Mirae's Marvelous

• I thought the last review of this year should be with a great album that was released during the last 12 months, so here it is!

Marvelous is an outlier in Mirae’s discography. Usually in the boygroup’s albums, I expect a hype track or something vastly electronic. Only the single has electronic influences, and the bsides are either soft, or are influenced by a genre that I did not expect for Mirae to release. This album is Mirae’s most soft album. It’s more experimental to find the boys’ sound and image, which I don’t blame them for, Splash is an outlier for their singles. But in this case, Marvelous is Mirae putting themselves out there and seeing what works for themselves. Expect 10’s for bias.

Tracklist:

Future Land

Marvelous (single)

Juice (promoted)

Final Cut

Amazing

Seven Pages (Dear My Friend)

eCcqt-p8icLA_1-GWebVduzRKmn73-0-g41GU13EeePuzjyfsx8QLfTUMXmU9kFfCK4-e3UxJHbQBfvHlLTzJitW71VV7u62UZGcF_KwDhpUT3Cqn09zhxY3fiL7tXFJFeleh_7DE7eDSG8b0FcWWrmpiUYqSWxXj03-DfeAh1nWpfr8Ke69bjB5mABx-w

Future Land

Written by: Moode, IRIS Yerin Lee, Czaer, KIRIN

Lyricism by: Moode, IRIS Yerin Lee

Arrangement by: Czaer, KIRIN

Composition by: Czaer, KIRIN, Moode, IRIS Yerin Lee

The bass sets the mood of Future Land well. The beat is the best part of the track though, its hip-hop is subtle yet powerful, and lays the foundation for the rap-influenced song well. The song starts with the bass and beat as the rappers enter. Mirae’s rap line is absolutely underrated, both Junhyuk and Khael are amazing rappers that fit the tone to any track they are on, and Future Land is no different. The delivery of their lines in this song is the best, but an outlier in their lines from the majority of their discography since they usually go for more powerful performances. But this one, though still holds power, has restraint to it. I love it, they let the production, mainly the beat, take control. Production wise, I love the electronic effect that starts every bar, the influence diversifies the track itself. The pre-chorus slows things down as the vocalists tag team as strings enter, and both the strings and the beat build into the chorus. I feel like the chorus is a bit of a let down. I enjoy the beat and the brass, but the song writing for the chorus could be stronger. The second verse tag teams as well, it’s nice to see the vocalists and rappers work together. The second verse doesn’t drag on too, which is a common problem in K-pop songs so I’m happy this verse is quick. The final minute is ambitious. The bridge is anxiety-inducing through the piano chords and bass synth and the lyricism is powerful. The strings enter again as the pre chorus repeats for the last minute. The first and second chorus should sound like the final chorus; The sirens and brass blasting is what should happen in majority in my opinion. But overall, though it has its problems, Future Land is an awesome opener. I love hip-hop beats like this one, so it sold me in its first minute. The lyricism could improve, but the rapping makes up for it.

Hooks: 8

Production: 9

Longevity: 8

Bias: 10

Total: 8.75

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Marvelous

Written by: Jang A Reum Deu Ri, David Amber, Jonny Shorr, Will Jay

Lyricism by: Jang A Reum Deu Ri

Composition by: David Amber, Jonny Shoor, Will Jay

Produced by: David Amber

Marvelous starts off with a bang. Actually it starts off quiet as the electronic influences are introduced. Then the bang goes off: The drums clash, building up to such a high point that I’ve never felt the tension so…tense. The electronic influences continue as some glitch effects are added; This all supports the hook that has entered and the hook itself is the foundation of the single. It’s so simple yet so effective, and is the glue Marvelous, it ties the track together. Once the hook finishes, we are left in the dark, for a second, contrasting the vast amount of layers we just heard. The introduction of the track foreshadows the climax and hooks of Marvelous, and is such an effective segment. We are welcomed into the verse by Khael, as the beat becomes constant, the bass line enters, and a distorted piano plays in the background. Marvelous, in just a split second, becomes a dance-pop track, which isn’t bad, but it’s hard to stand out with a single like this, especially in the K-pop industry. The song writing itself isn’t that notable to speak of in the verses, just usual tag teaming that I like to hear. It’s an awfully short verse though, both the first and second verse could be a tad longer. The lyricism becomes talkable at the pre chorus, when Lien takes over. Despite the weird english lyrics, I do like these lines, they get straight to the point and don’t beat around the bush. Actually much of this song doesn’t beat around the bush and only delays when it needs to, but we’ll get to that. The drums stop as the electronic influences tease us, it’s only when the rapping kicks back that drums that were foreshadowed in the introduction comeback. It’s then we are introduced to the chorus. My guilty pleasure is the writing of Marvelous, especially. Is the song-writing kinda thoughtless? Yeah, but holy fuck it’s catchy! The production in this segment builds off the verses: The electronic influences make their full reappearance, then we enter the hook/post-chorus that was foreshadowed in the introduction. As we go into the bridge and hear the genre change to EDM, we are left wondering how well-executed Marvelous is. On paper, this is a generic dance-pop song, however the combination of electronica and drums and catchy ass songwriting leaves us with such a great impression of what Mirae has to offer. This is one of Mirae’s best singles, even if it can be generic at times.

Production: 9

Longevity: 9

Total: 9

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Juice

Written by: Cho Yoon Kyung, Christian Fast, Gusten Dahlqvist, Jes Meinertz Byg

Lyricism by: Cho Yoon Kyung

Arrangement and Composition by: Christian Fast, Gusten Dahlqvist, Jes Meinertz Byg

There are great songs out there that I love to (try to) dissect with my shitty analysis and see what makes it great. But there are other songs that I just can’t do that with; They’re too good to actually dissect because I’ll get up and dance or I’ll get carried away with singing. Juice is one of those songs. I’d love to go into how great it is but words will not describe the love I have for this under three minute track. I’ll try, nevertheless.

We open with a disco guitar rhythm and synth chords muffling in, laying the foundation of the track, as Khael’s introduction sets the magical mood we’re about to enjoy for the 2 minutes and fifty seconds we have. Mirae’s vocal line absolutely works wonders in Juice, their high-pitched voices suit the track so well. The lyricism is soft yet bright and the constant beat itself supports the energy of the songwriting and performance. The synth piano chords add a nostalgic influence. I think there is some sort of bassline, though it’s hidden and hard to hear. The guitar enters as Lien’s head voice just makes me ascend. The production of the pre chorus starts off quiet but becomes loud: The beat holds things steady as the guitars work on rhythm and chords with the synth piano, and Dohyun’s voice builds the energy for it to be unleashed in the chorus. If there’s anything I don’t like about Juice, it’s how short it is, and though I love how quick the pre chorus gets things going, I wouldn’t mind if it was delayed just a tad bit. The chorus, oh my fucking god, the chorus!!! The synth piano adds such a magical feeling as the guitar becomes a supporting aspect of the arrangement. The beat absolutely bangs as the lyricism is so energetic yet so down to earth mmm I love this chorus. I also wish the chorus was longer here, however I know that the second and final chorus does make up for it so it’s just a nitpick. The beat supports the rapping into the second verse, and though the rap line doesn’t get much attention in Juice, Junhyuk does deliver. The hook, following the second chorus, is absolutely addictive, as the beat ramps up to build energy. I love how the pre chorus plays one last time instead of a bridge. I don’t have any reason I just love it. As the track plays in its final segments we left with this sweet yet energetic mood. I can’t tell you how much I love this song. It’s this ascending magical feeling that is so lovely and energetic and nice I just love it.

Hooks: 10

Production: 10

Longevity: 10

Total: 10

External Content youtu.be

• Final Cut

Written by: Kim Mi Seon (SUN), UNO BUCKX, VERSACHOI

Lyricism by: Kim Mi Seon (SUN), UNO BUCKX

Arrangement by: VERSACHOI

Composition by: Kim Mi Seon (SUN), VERSACHOI

The song starts out promising enough. The nice rhythm and the bossa nova-esque percussion sets out the dreamy mood. But, like Le Sserafim’s Sour Grapes, Final Cut suffers the problem of having a trap beat. The beat just clashes with the dreamy lyricism in the verses, but luckily the performances by the vocal line do make up for it. The rhythm in the background isn’t bad as well, if anything it supports the energy from the songwriting. The pre chorus slows things down, like in Sour Grapes, and we have nice strings with the rhythm in the introduction. Then the chorus ruins it. The production just doesn’t support or build up any energy. The lyricism doesn’t help either and the performance by Lien (I love you but) just oversells it too much, he has too much power. I think a problem with Final Cut is that the trap percussion with the lyricism in the chorus is too powerful, when the chords are soft and dreamy. Apologies for the short review. The rappers are alright here.

Hooks: 7

Production: 7

Longevity: 6

Total: 7.5

Amazing

Written and Lyricism by: Jung Ho Hyun, KHAEL

Arrangement and Composition by: Jung Ho Hyun

The beat starts off as choppy in the introduction and first verse. It’s robotic, with the electronic jumps indicating the chords. The bassline’s alright; It’s simple, and that’s okay, but I’d rather have something detailed here to pull me in though.The lyricism of the first verse is soft, coupled with the soft performance as well. It’s too quick though, I wish there was something really gravitating to the verses because they are pretty boring and make me lose interest in the track pretty quickly. The pre chorus adds a muffled rhythm as the beat becomes increasingly detailed. The song becomes more interesting as Junhyuk talk-sings and Dohyun serenades us with his great voice (like, seriously, such an underrated vocalist). The tension builds until the chorus, where the segment unleashes its energy.Te chorus is the best part of Amazing, as Lien belts his fucking heart out as the beat supports the electronic rhythm and effects. It’s very dreamy this part, as the synths compliment the mellow performance. The rap in the second verse helps cover the mistakes of the first verse, but the chorus just makes me forget that the first verse ever existed. I like how constant the beat is at the bridge, as the vocalists tag team. The final chorus seems a bit too soft, but overall Amazing is great on paper with its chorus. Though it does have its problems.

Production: 8

Longevity: 8

Total: 8.5

Seven Pages (Dear My Friend)

Written and Lyricism by: Kim Mi Seon (SUN), MIRAE, UNO BUCKX, VERSACHOI

Arrangement by: VERSACHOI

Composition by: Kim Mi Seon (SUN), VERSACHOI

Seven Pages starts out promising, with the synth and rhythm building tension for the verse. The electronic chord with the clicks is not what I was expecting from the verse though. It’s too minimal in my opinion, the percussion should’ve been more constant. The lyricism here is a bit lazy, and could’ve been improved a bit. The second part of the verse though improves things: The beat comes in, the song writing becomes more thoughtful, it sounds more full, more completed. The rap verse in the pre chorus builds tension as the percussion supports it. Yet the chorus ruins the energy built. The performance here could be tons better. Lien I love you, but you have sung better. The lyricism itself is also thoughtless, and it doesn’t help with the performance. The production is fine here, the synths and electronic effects are doing their best. The beat kinda lacks here. Actually it doesn’t, it just doesn’t compliment the lyricism and electronic influence. The bridge is fine. This is obviously a fan song, so apologies for being critical on Seven Pages, especially when I’m a Now. But, you couldn’t make Juice your fan song? This track is just uninspired at worst. It’s not bad on paper but the choices with the performances and arrangement raises my eyebrows.

Hooks: 7

Production: 8

Longevity: 7

Total: 8

Total: 8.6/10

Credit to TheBiasList for the rating system

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!