A situation that happened in Qatar regarding a Brazilian flag....

• As everybody knows World Cup is being held in Qatar and everybody also knows how human rights are exactly their joy, but what surprised me today was this Brazilian journalist saying he was almost arrested bc police thought he was with a LGBTQIA+ flag when in reality it is a Brazilian state flag:

images - 2022-11-22T154353.155.jpeg

:pepe-just-smile:

It was actually a dangerous situation where police men even stepped on the flag and made him delete the videos of the police approach :pepenomad:

How fucked up are they to do this and think they are ok to hold a World Cup? Such a popular event? I hope nothing more serious happens there bc it's being just 2,3 days since the start and I'm already seeing so many bullshit.

Anyways, i just wanted to share this bc i was in disbelief.

• Go to Best Answer
  • I'm not going to talk about the flag thing but please give me one country that truly respects human rights.

I feel like the western media is using this whole human rights thing to slide their islamophobia without being judged to harshly

You should talk about the flag thing bc what would've happened if it was indeed a LGBTQIA+ flag? "Oh, it's illegal there so well" ????

And I'm not being islamophobic, but I'll talk about this issue.

• You should talk about the flag thing bc what would've happened if it was indeed a LGBTQIA+ flag? "Oh, it's illegal there so well" ????

And I'm not being islamophobic, but I'll talk about this issue.

Well Qatar was pretty clear about their policies, what they're doing isn't right but that's how it works there Qatar is a very conservative country where no one can show or display physical affection

• Girl it's Qatar like i said that country doesn't even allow straight people to hold hands publicly also why do you guys nit pick only the negative stuff that country welcomed people warmly with gifts and they did amazing shows

I'm just in disbelief and that's ok. No need to take Qatar side :pepe-life-support: kkkkk but i understand your point.

• I'm just in disbelief and that's ok. No need to take Qatar side :pepe-life-support: kkkkk but i understand your point.

I'm not taking Qatar side but you guys only remember human rights when it involves people who lives in western countries and you don't miss a chance to portray Muslims and Arabs in a bad light not a single media outlet reported about the good stuff that Qatar for the supporters

• well they've been collecting rainbow paraphernalia left and right this world cup wow it's almost like they're a little hostile towards queer people who could have predicted that

fifa in utter shock

• I'm not taking Qatar side but you guys only remember human rights when it involves people who lives in western countries and you don't miss a chance to portray Muslims and Arabs in a bad light not a single media outlet reported about the good stuff that Qatar for the supporters

Who is you? :pepe-just-smile: this happened with a Brazilian, should I just laugh?

Don't come with your generalizations here when i never did it.

• I'm not going to talk about the flag thing but please give me one country that truly respects human rights.

I feel like the western media is using this whole human rights thing to slide their islamophobia without being judged to harshly

i'm with you. human rights? western world talking about human rights is hilarious.

wimbledon banned russian players from playing, you know why? because they are russians! they were banned for their nationality! something they had no saying in it, they were born like that.

the us are allies with saudis who are committing genocide against yemenis, they are allies despite their human rights laws and abuses. that's fine because they give us oil and we sell them arms and we make money.

human rights, my ass

this whole bashing of qatar is in right now. EVERYONE knew where they are going to and what are their laws. if countries really cared about human rights, REALLY CARED, they would have boycotted it. boycott it and make the event a failure. but they didn't because MONEY.

human rights thing to slide their islamophobia - agree. yesterday, dailymail published an article that female journalist got robbed live on air; they made it sound like she was robbed because she was a woman. she wasn't robbed, she was pickpocketed. but titling it "a journalist pickpocketed during the air" isn't as impactful.

when ecuador's goal was ruled offside, people on twitter were "joking" that it was because qatar paid fifa. they also posted "funny" memes that were implying that referees would be killed if they didn't disallow it and that players and goalkeepers should fear for their lives because they lost the game. it's not funny

• Sorry for making a thread about how unbelievable this situation was. Now we can't talk about it without "islamophobic" accusations or generalizations about "western people" :thumbup:  :clown:

Because that's what's happening the west cares when it involves them yet no one cares when Arabs and Africans get their rights taken away by the same people using the human rights and the moral card doesn't make any sense to me when the same people kill people left and right just because they can if you where borne in African or an Arab country you would know what I'm talking about there is always propaganda about us how we are the worst type of people and what not yet the west is as shitty or worse so no you cant' speck of human rights of only a portion of people are included in those so called rights

• You only deserve rights when you live in Europe and North America and some part of Asia outside of these areas whether you die or live no one cares

• Because that's what's happening the west cares when it involves them yet no one cares when Arabs and Africans get their rights taken away by the same people using the human rights and the moral card doesn't make any sense to me when the same people kill people left and right just because they can if you where borne in African or an Arab country you would know what I'm talking about there is always propaganda about us how we are the worst type of people and what not yet the west is as shitty or worse so no you cant' speck of human rights of only a portion of people are included in those so called rights

I'm brazilian, i talked about one situation (that is literally going viral here) regarding how a Brazilian journalist was treated over a fucking rainbow and you want to generalize me with others bc?

Did you see me being islamophobic or are you just upset bc "hey, you posted something negative"?

• Sorry for making a thread about how unbelievable this situation was. Now we can't talk about it without "islamophobic" accusations or generalizations about "western people" :thumbup:  :clown:

criticizing certain issues isn't islamophobic. voicing opinions against injustice isn't islamophobic.

western world pretends they don't abuse human rights as well. they do it on a daily basis and they dare to lecture others about human rights violations. the us and their allies have killed, robbed, and devastated half of the middle east, did anyone care about their human rights? ukraine banning books and music in russian is okay, in fact, ukraine has just become eu candidate. are those european values everyone is always on and on about? to prevent their citizens to enjoy content in their native tongue?

every single country abuses human rights, mine too, yours too, and especially countries who are preaching about them. singling out a country because it's muslim, that's islamophobic.

• criticizing certain issues isn't islamophobic. voicing opinions against injustice isn't islamophobic.

western world pretends they don't abuse human rights as well. they do it on a daily basis and they dare to lecture others about human rights violations. the us and their allies have killed, robbed, and devastated half of the middle east, did anyone care about their human rights? ukraine banning books and music in russian is okay, in fact, ukraine has just become eu candidate. are those european values everyone is always on and on about? to prevent their citizens to enjoy content in their native tongue?

every single country abuses human rights, mine too, yours too, and especially countries who are preaching about them. singling out a country because it's muslim, that's islamophobic.

And where did i do it? Do you see me defending countries here?

This is getting ridiculous... I'm from Brazil, i know how fucked up my country is, what I'm judging here AND I'LL DO WITH ANY COUNTRY IF IT HAPPENED THERE is a flag being enough to arrest people and violate their rights.

Qatar bought this Cup, FIFA is even worse for being so corrupted, but i won't look at their laws and think "oh, ok, it's their law I'll respect it" bc i won't. Sorry.

And I'm not even talking or praising others countries so idk what the issue is.

No country is perfect but I don't think this excuse should even be mentioned when one government killed thousands of workers for one even that will last for 20 days, have bad policies when it comes to lgbtq+ and women rights.

Don't steer from rightful criticism. Someone's life and freedom was endangered today because of their flag.

This is not the first WC that faced rightful criticism and it probably won't be the last.

• And where did i do it? Do you see me defending countries here?

This is getting ridiculous... I'm from Brazil, i know how fucked up my country is, what I'm judging here AND I'LL DO WITH ANY COUNTRY IF IT HAPPENED THERE is a flag being enough to arrest people and violate their rights.

Qatar bought this Cup, FIFA is even worse for being so corrupted, but i won't look at their laws and think "oh, ok, it's their law I'll respect it" bc i won't. Sorry.

And I'm not even talking or praising others countries so idk what the issue is.

i didn't call YOU islamophobic, if it seemed that way i apologize but i don't think i did. i was just trying to explain what is islamophobic. western world criticizing problematic stuff qatar and muslim countries have done while they themselves are doing human rights abuses on a daily basis - that's islamophobic

fifa is the one who is the issue. giving qatar to host the event knowing there will be many cultural problems. but like i said MONEY. alcohol is forbidden too. on a lighter note: the other day, ecuador supporters chanted "we want beer!" ^^ imagine football witouth beer :zipr:

• No country is perfect but I don't think this excuse should even be mentioned when one government killed thousands of workers for one even that will last for 20 days, have bad policies when it comes to lgbtq+ and women rights.

Don't steer from rightful criticism. Someone's life and freedom was endangered today because of their flag.

This is not the first WC that faced rightful criticism and it probably won't be the last.

i don't think anyone is trying to excuse or spin this. in fact, people on social media have been vocal about it from the start. fifa knew about this happening and they did nothing, they continued with business as usual.

as for bad policies when it comes to lgbtq+ and women rights; again, fifa allowed qatar to host the event and now everyone has to abide by their laws: their house, their rules. i mean, it's in your interest to not be arrested and jailed lol

who's going to host it next? i'll check it now :peperun:

• Best Answer

i was just trying to explain what is islamophobic. western world criticizing problematic stuff qatar and muslim countries have done while they themselves are doing human rights abuses on a daily basis - that's islamophobic

Idk I feel you are targeting wrong person and wrong thread. She is from Brazil and if one WC was controversial it was Brazilian WC back in 2014, she is no stranger to criticism and I am sure she understands negative press one country could face.

This time someone from her country could have had their freedom taken away because ot their nation flag, which is main topic here.

Idk this is just how I feel. :sweatr1:

I feel like we are missing the point here.

• Amen Best Answer!!

Brazil suffers enough "negative press" and criticism and i just voiced about this situation bc it is dangerous, it should be talked about bc we don't need others victims specially when we know they could actually be arrested.

• yes, i think we are talking about various topics here ^^

first thing is - every country does human rights violations, singling out one is stupid

2nd - fifa choosing a host country that is culturally different from certain parts of the world will create problems, but since we are where we are everyone needs to abide by the host country's laws

what happened to brazilian flag is ridiculous but definitely not unexpected. like i said, cultural differences and laws

• who's going to host it next? i'll check it now :peperun:

I think US, Canada and Mexico (finally, they tried for years).

i don't think anyone is trying to excuse or spin this. in fact, people on social media have been vocal about it from the start. fifa knew about this happening and they did nothing, they continued with business as usual.

as for bad policies when it comes to lgbtq+ and women rights; again, fifa allowed qatar to host the event and now everyone has to abide by their laws: their house, their rules. i mean, it's in your interest to not be arrested and jailed lol

FIFA is blamed too, they faced tons of backlash and if there is justice in this world people will continue criticizing them until something changes. When it comes to this, I can say that people in our countries were one of the firsts to call out fifa for years now ;judgingpepe:

Qatar is so rich they literally paid FIFA billions of dollars to host this WC. I would understand if racist west attacked unprivileged country, but Qatar had all resources to make this right and they chose not to. Even among workers in out country it was known that Qatar doesn't really treat migrants like humans.

Most of the workers who died were from unprivileged countries, so I don't see how this makes Qatar any better than racist and hypocritical west (plus they are richer than western countries lol).

I think US, Canada and Mexico (finally, they tried for years).

i had no idea three countries could host! maybe there are not enough stadions to be held in only one country?

FIFA is blamed too, they faced tons of backlash and if there is justice in this world people will continue criticizing them until something changes. When it comes to this, I can say that people in our countries were one of the firsts to call out fifa for years now ;judgingpepe:

Qatar is so rich they literally paid FIFA billions of dollars to host this WC. I would understand if racist west attacked unprivileged country, but Qatar had all resources to make this right and they chose not to. Even among workers in out country it was known that Qatar doesn't really treat migrants like humans.

Most of the workers who died were from unprivileged countries, so I don't see how this makes Qatar any better than racist and hypocritical west (plus they are richer than western countries lol).

i don't think fifa is any different than any organization. you and me know that ery well and what our country is going through. it's all about profit and power. nothing will change

i read they spent 200m dollars. they really are rich =O

i, however, don't think that wealth should matter, racist remarks are racists no matter the financial situation. yes, i'm including both western countries and qatar. twitter was a mess on the opening day, it's like they waited for that moment. it was disgustinq

• Although I understand where you are coming from I think some actions can't be justified with just "cultural differences" but that's just my opinion :/

• i had no idea three countries could host! maybe there are not enough stadions to be held in only one country?

This is actually first time. I don't like how it sounds. I don't know how they plan to do that because they will have players flying across 3 countries and huge continent?

Actually Korea and Japan hosted WC back in 2002.

i don't think fifa is any different than any organization. you and me know that ery well and what our country is going through. it's all about profit and power. nothing will change

i read they spent 200m dollars. they really are rich =O

i, however, don't think that wealth should matter, racist remarks are racists no matter the financial situation. yes, i'm including both western countries and qatar. twitter was a mess on the opening day, it's like they waited for that moment. it was disgustinq

I think loud complaining can bring us some changes. It can't stay like this forever </3

They spent 220 BILLION dollars. Russia spent like... 15 billion dollars back in 2018. The difference is hugeeee! They paid David Beckham 200m dollars to promote WC which is INSANE! It's time we all leave Beckham in the past. ;judgingpepe:

And winner of WC will get like 40 million dollars or something like thah pepe-ooh

BAN FOOTBALL! :pepe-spray:

Racist remarks are of course not okay and should definitely be criticized, but don't you think WC organizers were racist themselves? :/

Why we didn't hear news of deaths of workers from US, UK, France or Germany or any other rich wester countries in Qatar? Ah no, no. They knew EXACTLY who to target, which makes my blood boil even more.

• Although I understand where you are coming from I think some actions can't be justified with just "cultural differences" but that's just my opinion :/

but it can. it might be not fair and violation of human rights but it can. and they won't change because people have different mindsets. i don't mean i agree with it or support it, but it won't be changed due to various reasons. or at least not any time soon

• They spent 220 BILLION dollars. Russia spent like... 15 billion dollars back in 2018. The difference is hugeeee! They paid David Beckham 200m dollars to promote WC which is INSANE! It's time we all leave Beckham in the past. ;judgingpepe:

wait, i read million, not billion. BILLION! please qatar, our national debt is 35 billion dollars, can you donate some :pepe-beg:

Racist remarks are of course not okay and should definitely be criticized, but don't you think WC organizers were racist themselves? :/

Why we didn't hear news of deaths of workers from US, UK, France or Germany or any other rich wester countries in Qatar? Ah no, no. They knew EXACTLY who to target, which makes my blood boil even more.

it's really sad. :-(

• but it can. it might be not fair and violation of human rights but it can. and they won't change because people have different mindsets. i don't mean i agree with it or support it, but it won't be changed due to various reasons. or at least not any time soon

Yeah they won't change, migrants, women and lgbtq rights won't imrpve just because we are (rightfully, lol) complaining, but the way they went about it should have been different and these innocent Brazilians could have paid big price today.

• This thread contains 15 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!